Used games or new games? Which u prefer ?

theghostsi

Hey guys was bored figure I do some ps3 collection shopping but I find myself wondering if it's worth buying used over new or vice versa also sometimes seem some sites over charged on used games plus shipping as opposed free shipping but price for new.

What you guys usually buy and I know there's a good deal thread but is there any sites u recommend for used games other than Gamestop n half.com

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, let's see :think: I could spend €50 buying two or three used games that I haven't played before, are only a few months old, and probably have a patch or two to iron out any release issues, for example Uncharted 3, Batman: Arkham City, or Dark Souls... Or I could just buy one of those games brand new... A tough decision...

Sarcastic asshole-ness aside, I always buy cheap, which 90% of the time means used. If a game is only €5 or so more expensive new than used then I may go for the new one, especially if it's from a company that I think deserve my money (Platinum Games springs to mind - excellent and underrated developer). Overall though I think it's just a no-brainer to buy games used. Out of 50 or so PS3 games I've picked up from GAME, HMV, Gamestop, eBay etc, I've never once seen so much as the smallest scratch on any of them, and often times I see pre owned games going for €20 or €30 cheaper than their new counterparts.

I'll never understand people who flat out refuse to buy games used.

I always buy my games new (not neccessarily on release date or even the first months). Never bought a used game. It's nice to give support to the developers but mainly because I like it brand new. I take care of all my games. Don't like to buy platinum-games because of the casing.

Besides, if I like to try out games without putting too much money on them, I can always borrow it from a friend or rent it from the local library for a dollar.

Game developers only get their share of money from the first months when the game is sold as highest. When the game gets price-drops the developers get very little to nothing. At least this is what I've heard from friends that works on game companies. So buying platinum games won't give any money to the developers. Only to the publishers.

I bought the vast majority of my titles used. When you can get them for 50%+ off of new, why wouldn't you? I also try and buy from previous owners (eBay or Amazon's other listings) and not Gamestop, mostly because they can't guarantee a manual, let alone original case for their games. Usually owners take better care of their items than a corporation does too.

However, with online passes now becoming the norm, I'm always debating new vs used prices if I need that $10 pass to platinum it. If after buying used + pass is only a few dollar difference to new, I opt for the new one. Nothing better than ripping that plastic wrap open!

Used for me as well. I rarely buy new. Online passes, DLC,small price difference, & if i really want a game on release date(rarely) are the only reason i'd buy new. New price for Standard Edition game with no extras F*CK NO!!! PS3 games don't scratch like the previous consoles so buying used isn't a big risk like before.

I prefer used unless there is an online code and the game has multiplayer that actually interests me. It also depends greatly on the savings. If it's nominal then new is the way to go for me. Love Gamefly's used games and choose them as a first stop shopping location as they come complete in like new condition with unused codes and oftentimes they run sales with free shipping. Love free shipping! :)

I tend to buy a mixture of both, if its something that i want and is getting ready to release ill buy it new. However there are quite a few games that have been out for a while that i still want to pick up and im not opposed to buying them used at all. Gamestop usually does buy 2 get 1 on used fairly often so i definitely take advantage of getting 3 $20 used games for $40 any day. With the quality of blu ray discs and being hard to scratch i dont mind buying used. I do like to have the original case and book for my games though.

If it's a game with downloadable content (BF3 Limited edition for example) then i will buy new, just incase there is some sort of code that unlocks it. But if it's a game that's been out a while and it's cheaper 2nd hand then i'll buy that.

Problem is, around where i live the 2nd hand game shops rip you off. A new game is priced £40 an pre owned is £38. You look on Amazon or play and it's £35 new with free P&P.....no wonder Game is going to the wall

If I can help it I always rather buy games new, unless I save a pretty significant amount or it's simply only available used. Main problem I have with buying used is that a lot of the time the game itself is in really poor condition, or the store has put stickers all over it which is frustrating, just small stuff like that.

Depends really. If it is a game I want on release I will buy new.

But I generally look for decent sales on used games or older release new games that have dropped in price.

When you see 50% off used games and some really good games at 14.99 or less it makes it tough to not pick up a few. And for the most part they are all in great shape (no scratches, all manuals).