Hard drive swap question

Pyramat

If I swap my hard drive will I lose my trophies on my XMB. I know that they will always be on Sony's servers but I've heard that you have to boot up all your games to get your trophies on the XMB. I've also heard that you don't have to though. Can anyone confirm?

From my personal experience, when I swapped my stock 40gb for a 120gb hdd I did not have to reinstall all my games for trophies.

After installing the new drive and restoring the data from your old drive, the first thing you should do is log in to your account and sync trophies. I believe if you put in a trophy game and start playing before doing an initial sync, then you have to manually play each game to have them appear in your trophy list.

I've restored two times now, and that's what I've experienced.

To be safe, just sync up before removing the old drive, and sync again after restoring.

Yeah, I just swapped out my 60GB hard drive for a 250GB drive. I made sure to sync all my trophies to the server before I did it and as soon as it was running again the first thing I did was go online and sync them to the new hard drive. It all came up as normal. I do have some issue with the system not reading the new hard drive though if I start the system up with the power button. It tells me to "insert the correct hard drive". If I insert a disc it starts just fine. Has anyone had an issue with this?

Yeah, I just swapped out my 60GB hard drive for a 250GB drive. I made sure to sync all my trophies to the server before I did it and as soon as it was running again the first thing I did was go online and sync them to the new hard drive. It all came up as normal. I do have some issue with the system not reading the new hard drive though if I start the system up with the power button. It tells me to "insert the correct hard drive". If I insert a disc it starts just fine. Has anyone had an issue with this?

I swapped out my 60GB drive with a 500GB one. I haven't had any problems you describe maybe it's the hard drive brand. I sync all my trophies with the server and went online sync with the new hard drive and no problems.

I swapped my stock Seagate Momentus 60GB for a Seagate Momentus 500GB and I experienced 'the incorrect hard drive type was not found' error as well. Except it was random, and happened when powering up with the controller as well. I would have to manuall shut off the machine and restart, and it would always work the second time around.

Also had issues with the following games..

Killzone 2 - voices would either stutter, or be clipped at the end for about 1/2 a second.

Rockband 2 - DLC songs on the HDD would occassionally freeze and lag the video for seconds at a time (but the audio would keep playing).

Hawx Demo - UNPLAYABLE. Way too much stuttering when using certain camera angles.

I deleted a lot of junk off the 500GB, backed everything up and restored the data back to my 60GB. All of the above problems went away.

Unfortunately the Seagate Momentus 500GB is not capable enough for the ps3.

Try downloading the Hawx Demo and play through the demo mission. If you notice any stuttering, then you'll probably run into problems with other games as well.

I swapped my stock Seagate Momentus 60GB for a Seagate Momentus 500GB and I experienced 'the incorrect hard drive type was not found' error as well. Except it was random, and happened when powering up with the controller as well. I would have to manuall shut off the machine and restart, and it would always work the second time around.

Also had issues with the following games..

Killzone 2 - voices would either stutter, or be clipped at the end for about 1/2 a second.

Rockband 2 - DLC songs on the HDD would occassionally freeze and lag the video for seconds at a time (but the audio would keep playing).

Hawx Demo - UNPLAYABLE. Way too much stuttering when using certain camera angles.

I deleted a lot of junk off the 500GB, backed everything up and restored the data back to my 60GB. All of the above problems went away.

Unfortunately the Seagate Momentus 500GB is not capable enough for the ps3.

Try downloading the Hawx Demo and play through the demo mission. If you notice any stuttering, then you'll probably run into problems with other games as well.

I hadnt noticed any issues like that till last night. I was playing Fallout 3 and it was stuttering a bit. I exited and restarted the game and it worked fine. I emailed Sony for help so we'll see what they say. I really dont want to have to go out and buy another hard drive as this will get expensive. I didnt have any issues with Burnout or Resistance. I really hope this is fixable.

Could some one post the specs that the ps3 requieres. I no it hast to be a sata drive and 2.5 inch but, what else matters? I've been thinkng about buying a 300gb hard drive but not sure what the requirments are for the proper hdd.

Found this quote below on a webpage when thinking of updating mine, should give you the information you require. link below the quote

1. Larger SATA notebook (2.5″) hard drive (hd), 5400rpm or 7400rpm.

We chose a 5400rpm model for temperature considerations. Also there are two types of SATA drive - SATA-150 and SATA-300 (differences are the data transmission speeds - either 1.5Gb/sec or 3Gb/sec. The PS3 supports 1.5Gb/sec only so no need to pay any extra for SATA-300 as these will not run at maximum speed.

How to upgrade your PS3 internal hard drive | PS3 Pad

At the moment it is a 80gb(74gb), I have a deal with a local computer owner that i can get a 500gb for £30, he fixes my comp when it needs to go in.

If that is the price from a friend or shop I would think about looking around at the other prices and stores. You may be able to get a 500 gb for the price of a 300gb.

I can do some searching for you in a min if you want havent got set out for another hour anyway.

That is for the offer but I wouldn't want you to go through all that. I've checked around and the cheapiest 500gb hdd was like $90, but I font think I need that much space lol. But thanks smiler

If you dont think that they will lower the price and it is the lowest that you can find, it may be best going for it. However the choice is up to you, there may be someone on here that knows of a place where you can get it cheaper.

To be honhest I dont think I will use all of the 500gb that I will have soon, and if I get my new tv I will direct all the saves from the ps3 to the pc to make sure they are backed up. But the reason I am getting it is just incase, and it is best to get the bargains when you can at this time of the year.