Ratio Trophy hunters / common players

GaKiDo

so i basically had the idea today of calculating the ratio of trophy hunters / all psn players and I really surprised of the result , i based it on yourgamercards and i based the criteria of being a trophy hunter on having 1 Gold at least + level 2 , so if we compare the number i found that's basically 200.000 trophy hunters worldwide with this very weak criteria :

Ratio by number of Psn accounts in the last sony reports:

200.000/77.000.000 =0.25% trophy hunters in the world

Ratio by number of consoles sold to day (vgchartz is the source for number of consoles)

200.000/52.780.000=0.37% trophy hunters in world

and this result are with such a weak criteria , i never tought that completitionnists are so rare in world , or that trophy hunting was such a rare hobby in gamers world , we're less than 1%.

Please if you think that these ratios are false or you have any better site for trophy cards please correct it , thanks :D

So why do you think trophy hunting have not a large base of players ? :confused:

Edited by GaKiDo

Lack of interest but the basis of it being based on 1 single gold and level 2 is a bad joke in and of itself no offense. So the overall number maybe less than you think basing it more off the number of YGC members would make more sense to me at least. Also on top of that there are some with multiple accounts so that further messes with any information.:think:

It doesn't matter to me, besides I consider myself more of a casual gamer than a trophy hunter. I buy and keep all my games because I love to collect 'em. You have to take into consideration that a lot of trophy whores rent their games too just to up their trophy count and a lot of gamers can't immediately buy or get the games they love right off the bat :( And as much as I love YGC (totally) there are millions of other unregistered gamers out there with lord knows more trophies than the rest of us.

Trophy collecting is a fun hobby and just like every other hobby not everyone who can do it is so into it :D

Edited by EtherealSkye

yes this is why i did this with also numbers of ps3 sold so just 1 ps3 = 1 psn account , total YGC members are 212283 to date

so it would give the same result basically

212283/52780000 PS3's = 0.40%

Edited by GaKiDo

Also, you can't go by the number of sold PS3 because not all of them are being used to play games.

This. I know for a fact the US Military bought a ton of PS3s to like them together for processing power. And a big chunk of the homebrew community admits they don't even use their PS3 to play games, so they could care less about the trophies they earn during them.

Plus, you haven't accounted for other console purchases... how to you account for a YLOD? That means one person has bought two PS3s, and likely used the same account on both.

That's two big examples where the console ratio becomes incredibly inaccurate.

And you really can't go by the number of PSN accounts, either. I know many people with multiple accounts... one friend of mine as three accounts, his main account and two backup accounts he uses for boosting. There would be no way to truly define how many of those accounts are primary accounts, and how many are either backup/boosting/inactive. Even Sony themselves had trouble determining exactly how many true "users" were affected when PSN went down.

This is an interesting concept, and congrats for trying it... but I don't think you'll ever get any real accuracy from this.

And I agree with others... to define a true "trophy hunter", you need to go higher than 1 gold + level 2. A 11-year-old girl who's played Hannah Montana and a couple other Disney games could have those two accomplishments... it doesn't mean she even knew what the trophy popping meant, much less is actually trying to get more of them.

so i basically had the idea today of calculating the ratio of trophy hunters / all psn players and I really surprised of the result , i based it on yourgamercards and i based the criteria of being a trophy hunter on having 1 Gold at least + level 2 , so if we compare the number i found that's basically 200.000 trophy hunters worldwide with this very weak criteria :

Ratio by number of Psn accounts in the last sony reports:

200.000/77.000.000 =0.25% trophy hunters in the world

Ratio by number of consoles sold to day (vgchartz is the source for number of consoles)

200.000/52.780.000=0.37% trophy hunters in world

and this result are with such a weak criteria , i never tought that completitionnists are so rare in world , or that trophy hunting was such a rare hobby in gamers world , we're less than 1%.

Please if you think that these ratios are false or you have any better site for trophy cards please correct it , thanks :D

So why do you think trophy hunting have not a large base of players ? :confused:

First off, the topic/question is interesting - always wondered how many people have the trophy hunting bug (easy to lose sight of the casuals on a trophy hunting forum).

AFAIK, YGC has the most users of any trophycard site.

I'd actually divide your 200,000 by the number of YGC users because there's no way its representative of ALL users. You'd get a ridiculously high percentage though, since its such a weak criteria as you say.

I can't come up with a good criteria though. I imagine it would revolve around plats though, because there are few games that a casual player would earn a plat in. Maybe take 4 or 5 very widely popular PS3 games (LBP for example) and average their plat ratios. This number is still going to be very high, since the YGC will have a biased population (ie mostly trophy hunters). So that would be an upper limit. Probably wa-a-a-y too high, now that I think about it (even LBP is ~10% plat rate)

Alternatively, add up all the users of ALL the trophycard sites and divide by the number of PSN accounts. (Assumption being that only trophy hunters will have a trophy card, and only trophy hunters have a trophycard.) Hopefully the number of people with multiple cards will cancel out the number of people with multiple accounts (ie if the average trophy hunter has 2 trophy cards and the average PS3 player has 2 accounts, it cancels out in a ratio). Might pare it down by excluding people with trophycards but no plats.

Edited by Stork77

Alright, I tried my alternate method:

Ratio = # trophy hunters / # ps3 users

= (#trophy cards / avg#cards per hunter) / (#accounts / avg # accts per user)

= [(213230+53296+41496+47217+110500*)/2]/[(77000000/2)]

= 0.6%

Numbers:

-YGC= 213230

-ps3t.com = 53296

-psnprofiles = 41496

-luso = 47217

-playfire = 442000 (total) / 4 cards = 110500 (assumption)

-avg cards/hunter, avg accounts/user - no idea, so I'm assuming 2.

Edited by Stork77
.com, not .org

I would not be surprised really at all if the number of trophy hunters was an exceedingly small portion of the install base. With that said I think it would be great to have a more complete view of the data (of course not possible through any means I'm aware of at this point though) to determine with more accuracy the current population of trophy hunters.

I think the reason that the population is smaller than we may otherwise expect, is that many gamers may not have the attention span or may focus on online gaming. These same gamers may possibly be focused on the event of the game itself, only getting whatever trophies occur organically and not caring about the rest. Then there is the possibility that they would like to become trophy hunters or may even have begun their quest and found that they were lacking the skillset required for the game(s) they wanted to start with, thus causing them to give up on said quest. Really there are any number of reasons why trophy hunters are a niche group, but my expectation would be that the group will continue to grow as time passes.

Lots of people have brought up interesting factors into this thread.

* Not all PS3's are used for gaming.

* Not all accounts are trophy accounts, some are boost/guest accounts.

* We're only looking at one potential gaming card website.

* We're neglecting the trophy hunters that don't sign up with

gamer card sites or even PS3trophies for that matter.

* We simply do not have enough data to make a concrete ratio.

When I started collecting trophies, I was around level 7-10 before I

even signed up for PS3trophies. I also believe I was higher than 12

before I used a gamer card site to display trophies.

I don't believe trophy collecting is a rare hobby. I ran into an old

friend of mine back in highschool and she's been raising her

achievement score for the last few months to 20k- and she's not

even a hardcore gamer.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd aim closer to at least 10-15% of

the gaming community collects trophies. That's only a minimum

number and I, of course, do not have any data behind it- but I'd

bet it's higher than what is being shown right now.

Lots of people have brought up interesting factors into this thread.

* Not all PS3's are used for gaming.

* Not all accounts are trophy accounts, some are boost/guest accounts.

* We're only looking at one potential gaming card website.

* We're neglecting the trophy hunters that don't sign up with

gamer card sites or even PS3trophies for that matter.

* We simply do not have enough data to make a concrete ratio.

Agreed, these are all unknowns which cloud any calculation. Worse, there's no way for us to know them. We can make assumptions, and then test how sensitive our calculations are to changes in those assumptions. In my method, if I give the most favorable trophy hunting assumptions (no duplicate cards, average of 3 duplicate PSN accounts per actual user, and say half the trophy hunters are signed up for a card) I get a high water mark of 3.6%

When I started collecting trophies, I was around level 7-10 before I

even signed up for PS3trophies. I also believe I was higher than 12

before I used a gamer card site to display trophies.

By contrast, I had a MMOS card for my second full trophy game (I remember the sonic picture on the card) and had been here longer. So that would be around level 4 or 5 (since the first 4 levels are basically for platting a single game). Not a counterpoint, since its just an anecdote. I don't know what would be a common/average sign-up point. I can't even remember what the lowest trophycard amount I've seen here, especially as time goes and everyone's trophy cabinet bulges more.

I don't believe trophy collecting is a rare hobby. I ran into an old

friend of mine back in highschool and she's been raising her

achievement score for the last few months to 20k- and she's not

even a hardcore gamer.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd aim closer to at least 10-15% of

the gaming community collects trophies. That's only a minimum

number and I, of course, do not have any data behind it- but I'd

bet it's higher than what is being shown right now.

I'm kind of surprised that the calculations are showing numbers that low, but I don't know what I really expected them to be (just more than a few percent). I find it hard to believe that Sony would implement the trophy feature for only a few percent of their customers (how many sales of SSHD occurred when it became the first trophy game?). I remember the offical CivRevolution forums getting a LOT of debate over their decision not to patch the game for trophies (so either we're more numerous or more vocal). I'm not online enough to really get a sense of what randoms think of trophies (plus I'm more likely to run into people who are online because they like the game and play it constantly then trophy hunters who tend to only play it until they get the trophy).

Other problem: how we would we define trophy hunter? We're skipping this step because it probably seems obvious, or at least there's not enough data to really exclude anyone based on any detailed criteria. Would it be:

-anyone who likes/cares about trophies at all?

-only those who perform an action they normally wouldn't to get a trophy? (ie get trophies they don't get organically?)

-only those who care enough about trophies to get at least one (or however many) plats?

I've basically been defining it as anyone who cares enough to get a trophycard (since it's a relatively easy number to get and makes some sense) but as pointed out earlier, there's no way to know how many trophy hunters don't participate in the trophy hunting community and just like their own collection without showing it to anyone. I think this number is relatively low (ie most trophy hunters will be signed up for a card SOMEWHERE), but I only have a hunch on that.

EDIT: alternatively, could we just assume that the PS3 trophy hunting ratio is approximately that of the XBox's community? Since they have a global leaderboard and all.

Edited by Stork77