Where did my HDD space go?

hunterelf

My slim ps3 is a 120gb model, got it around 2 years ago. i thought it would be plenty, but now i realised that i only have around 20gb free space left !!

i checked my game data but there's only around 15-20 gb of game data(around 10 games) and the saves hardly take up any space.

where did my hdd space go or used on? does the updates take up all that space ? :think:

do you have music, movies?

keep in mind that the GAME DATA almost always takes a lot of space usually in GB if you dont have the game anymore and dont plan on getting/playing it again there is no reason to keep the game data, just delete it.

the game data can always be reinstalled once you insert the game again it will prompt you to install it.

keep in mind that GAME DATA and GAME SAVE are 2 different things.

Also of note that 120 GB isn't 120 GB of space for you to use. The PS3 reserves some for its own use, plus 120 GB is not 120 GB in the first place. They say 120 GB or 320 GB or whatever, but it's always less than that because of that whole "1 kilobyte = 1,024 bytes" thing.

But get rid of some game data for games you don't use anymore, clear out unwanted movies, music, and photos, and clean out your inbox and outbox for PSN messages if you have lots of them saved (each is small, but they can add up).

Clean sweep of your friends list would help a little too! You know the type that say hi once every month but forget about you for the other 30 days or so or an old boosting partner. Themes and old photo albums too

Meh, a friend probably only takes a few KB. However, less friends does make your XMB load faster.

One of the biggest hassles concerning gamedata installs is that some(maybe all) games integrate DLC into the game data so if you go to delete it to make room you have to download the dlc again later. RE 5 is a good example. You can get a decent size HDD upgrade for around 50, that may be the way to go.

Yeah, I'm planning on upgrading the old 80gb hdd to a 250gb. Don't see myself ever being in bother after that :D