Square Enix tells FFVII fans wanting remake to whine to someone who cares!

Zyzxx

Came across this article a couple days ago, and thought I'd share it with everyone:

Rumor: Square Enix Tells Final Fantasy VII Fans to "Let it Go"... Should We? | PlayStation LifeStyle

I'm glad that Square Enix is finally getting these jackals to let it go. I'd love to have an official statement from Yoichi Wada himself in the same nature.

There have been plenty of spin-offs, cameos in other games, and even a MOVIE for Final Fantasy VII. Why can't these fanboys let it go and accept that there WON'T be a remake?

I love FFVII as much as the next guy, but I love it AS IT IS. I don't need a remake of the game. If I want FFVII, I'll pop in my PSOne disc and play it. OR, I'll just play it on my PSP, thanks to the PS Store!

More than anything else, I want Square Enix to focus on making new, original games that will become as memorable as FFVII was. Or make sequels to some of their series that have long since collected dust (Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana).

So...u mad? Or...u glad?

Edited by Zyzxx

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fan in me says keep pushing, the realist says give up.

Would it be awsome? Of course! The world it's based in is absolutely gorgeous even on that 32-but engine. From the slums, to Cosmo Canyon, to Gold Saucer. Every local has its own sence of uniqueness. That in turn, reflects on all the characters. From Cid, to Cait Sith, to Yuffie, everybody brings something unique to the table, which is why this game is so successful. Everybody and everything have a key part of the plot.

But let's face it. Square Enix isnt doing so hot right now. And this is an expensive project. You can't just take the original game and slap a new coat of paint on it. You'd have to start from the ground up on the Crystal Tools engine. Games cost alot of money to make, and let's be honest. You know it'd be the FF-Versus XIII team in charge of this. So here comes the release date....and it's gone, because we demanded FFVII HD. And Kingdom Hearts Trilogy HD? (after FF-Versus XIII, of course) Nope. (BBS, I and II hopefully for those keeping score).

Is it a good idea? On paper, yes. But considering FF-Versus XIII needs to come out in my lifetime and whatever other AAA title that comes out (Tomb Raider 2012, Deus-Ex 3, etc.), it isn't practical right now. I'm content playing the PS1 port. It will always have nostalgia. Same for the six before and the seven after it (I - VI, VIII - XIII + X-2 and XIII-2). And Tactics...but I digress.

It had to be said:

I honestly don’t believe that people truly understand Final Fantasy VII. I think if they went back and played it today, they wouldn’t appreciate it nearly as much as they did before. That might not be the case for all Final Fantasy VII fans, but I think a lot of people need to let it go and accept it for what it is.

An FFVII HD remake was never on the table. For that to happen, the game would have had to been remade from scratch. It's not as advanced as PS2 games, which are a lot easier to port to HD. As much as I personally would have loved a remake, I knew it would never be viable. I just want them to make a direct port of the game and implement trophies :D Not that that'll ever happen, but oh well :rolleyes:

Apparently Square-Enix don't like money.

It's really not that simple. Again, building from nothing means alot of money. All the man hours put in, to a team of 60+ people, it adds up real fast. They can't charge $10 for the game, it wouldn't make back how much they put into it. Likewise charging $60 won't do because any more then $10 would cause riots, backlash for fans and poor sales.

Cost is greater then revenue on this one

An FFVII HD remake was never on the table. For that to happen, the game would have had to been remade from scratch. It's not as advanced as PS2 games, which are a lot easier to port to HD. As much as I personally would have loved a remake, I knew it would never be viable. I just want them to make a direct port of the game and implement trophies :D Not that that'll ever happen, but oh well :rolleyes:

The PS1 classics are just the games emulated on PS3. They are the original game "as-is". There would still have to be some tweaking and reworking to the game, which in turn would just lead to a remake. Again, would love it, but regardless if they take the easy way or the hard way, they still have to redo some element of the game. And we're talking about Square here...have you seen Laura Croft 2012? How about any cutscene for FF XIII? Any less then jaw dropping and it won't make it. Hence why they are debunking this rumor. ....sad face :(

Edited by xxnintendopimpxx

The PS1 classics are just the games emulated on PS3. They are the original game "as-is". There would still have to be some tweaking and reworking to the game, which in turn would just lead to a remake. Again, would love it, but regardless if they take the easy way or the hard way, they still have to redo some element of the game. And we're talking about Square here...have you seen Laura Croft 2012? How about any cutscene for FF XIII? Any less then jaw dropping and it won't make it. Hence why they are debunking this rumor. ....sad face :(

They could always do a Blizzard and announce an FFVII remake and then still have no release date 4 years later... *cough* Diablo III *cough* :whistle:

I'm glad that Square Enix at least has the brains to realize what a bad idea trying to remake that game would be, and to tell the fans no rather than caving and listening to even the most unreasonable demands like some other companies would.

On the other hand, I'm mad that it won't do any good, because there will still be people like this guy:

Apparently Square-Enix don't like money.

who don't really understand how making games actually works. People will still make statements like these thinking that all SE has to do is push the magical "HD remake" button and the game will build itself up to be a current gen game in just a few seconds and be all ready for SE to sell, and they'll never listen to reason no matter how many people explain to them that it's not that simple and that a FF7 remake would actually require a lot of time and money to create.

The Escapist : The Final Fantasy VII Remake is a Fantasy

Good read if you're willing to learn a bit about why no FF7 remake isn't because "Square Enix don't like money".

Edited by mjc0961

Good reading if you're willing to learn a bit about why no FF7 remake isn't because "Square Enix don't like money".

A good read indeed. Honestly, this would be way more plausible if they had remade this game last gen. Then it would be a simple "slap some paint n trophies on 'er". Didn't Metal Gear do that? On PS2 I mean (Clearly I'm aware of the HD collection).

I'm tired of all these Final Fantasy VII remake rumors and I'm glad that they are putting these rumors to sleep. I rather play a new Final Fantasy game, or any RPG game, rather than a remake of this game.

And the HD remake of FFX :)

I still hope they include FFX-2 in there somewhere. and then there is the almost forgotten FF XIV for the PS3.

i think this is a bad move by square because it makes the company lose face since 2005 when they showed that Cg trailer every gamer has been watching the company in hopes of a announcement which affectedly drew attention to the other projects they where making but if now they come out and say "Were not making a FFVII remake ever" it makes all that "Free" Attention go away since FFVII is there biggest product since the company's foundation i think there better off leaving it as a hope that they'll eventually remake it even though thats never going to happen

Edited by earthgeneral

I honestly don’t believe that people truly understand Final Fantasy VII. I think if they went back and played it today, they wouldn’t appreciate it nearly as much as they did before. That might not be the case for all Final Fantasy VII fans, but I think a lot of people need to let it go and accept it for what it is.

My thoughts exactly, I played all FF again last year and let me tell you that FF7 was one of the weakest.

the older FF have their charm, but from 7 and onward there is a serious quality drop.

Why would you want a remake of something that is already perfect? Just for some shinier graphics? Sure they look a bit ropey now but it's not like it was 8-bit or anything. Remaking the game is a pointless exercise that proves nothing and would only play into the hands of people who criticise Square Enix for milking the series.

Anyone who says Square Enix are stupid for not doing the remake can just fuck off, you are ruining development by wanting the same thing all the time. As the OP says, I would much rather the company put time and effort into original titles than tweaking an old game that doesn't need updating. You can get FF VII on the PSN at a reasonable price already. I hope SE stick to their word and let it be. They still have Final Fantasy Versus XIII to finish.

So...u mad? Or...u glad?

Depends entirely on wether or not they plan to stick to this. I'll be mad if they don't, happy if they do. I like FF VII, but it is overhyped, and like you already said there is more than enough spin offs and stuff of that game already, we don't need a damn remake too. A port to PS3, sure I can understand. Same with all other pre PS3 FF games. But a remake? No.

If people want to play it, then they can just play the original version. Don't own it, buy it. Don't want to do that, then you clearly don't like it that much so stop bitching about a remake.

Edited by Tsunami

I'm sure that remaking FF games (Like 7-9) and releasing it in HD WOULD BE EXTREMELY PROFITABLE. They are stupid for ignoring this :rolleyes:.
Speaking of things you shouldn't ignore:

Good read if you're willing to learn a bit about why no FF7 remake isn't because "Square Enix don't like money".

I'm glad that Square Enix at least has the brains to realize what a bad idea trying to remake that game would be, and to tell the fans no rather than caving and listening to even the most unreasonable demands like some other companies would.

On the other hand, I'm mad that it won't do any good, because there will still be people like this guy:

who don't really understand how making games actually works. People will still make statements like these thinking that all SE has to do is push the magical "HD remake" button and the game will build itself up to be a current gen game in just a few seconds and be all ready for SE to sell, and they'll never listen to reason no matter how many people explain to them that it's not that simple and that a FF7 remake would actually require a lot of time and money to create.

Cost issue is a cop-out nothing more. The worst thing Square Enix did was release the tech demo. Even if they did a remake it would never look like that.

They could remake the game in any way they wanted and it would cost no more than making Final Fantasy 13 did. It's a bullshit excuse and it's wrong.

What they are doing is what they always do. Make a game. Why would this one cost more or take more time? It wouldn't and there is no logical reason to think it would.

And whatever they release, however it is made, will sell. Heck FF7 on PSN has been in the top 10 for the last 4 billion weeks.

Edited by gunny

Cost issue is a cop-out nothing more. The worst thing Square Enix did was release the tech demo. Even if they did a remake it would never look like that.

They could remake the game in any way they wanted and it would cost no more than making Final Fantasy 13 did. It's a bullshit excuse and it's wrong.

What they are doing is what they always do. Make a game. Why would this one cost more or take more time? It wouldn't and there is no logical reason to think it would.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7XsxliloA]Nostalgia Critic - HAAAAAAAAALP - YouTube[/ame]

Really, this is just further proof that you know nothing about how games are made. How do you know how much it would cost? If you think you know so much, explain how much FF13 cost to make and how they could remake another game with the exact same amount of money. Prove that it wouldn't take more time or cost more money. I already linked a pretty good article that explains why FF7 remake is not as simple as you say. Your response is basically just saying "nuh-uh!". That's not good enough. Either back up your claims about time and cost, or sit back and realize that you don't know nearly as much as you think you know.

I meant an HD version with trophies, not a remake....:rolleyes:
Then maybe you should have said that originally. :rolleyes:

Seriously man, don't say the wrong thing and then act like I'm the dumb one. YOU'RE the one who said something other than what you meant, not me. :facepalm:

Edited by mjc0961