PS4 to be at 2012 E3

Report: BOTH New Xbox and PS4 Will Be Shown At E3 - Games News at IGN

UK games industry outlet MCV has reported that both the next Xbox AND the PlayStation 4 will be shown at this year's E3 in June.

This isn't the first time that a publication has cited an unnamed source with information like this, but this isn't some unknown central European games blog - MCV's credibilty makes this particular report worth paying attention to.

Speaking on Twitter, MCV's online editor Ben Parfitt said "Obviously we can't reveal our sources. But you have my personal word on this - the source is exemplary, 100% concrete, ultra high level."

We shouldn't necessarily expect a full-blown reveal, though - we might just see the announcement. Editor-in-Chief Michael French told IGN: "This is very credible. Even if we don't see the hardware itself, or know a price or date, key publishers and developers are expecting some nod towards what direction PS4 will take at E3 this year. Sony isn't stupid - it knows that if Microsoft is planning to also say something about its next console, it can't be left behind."

Many were expecting Microsoft to come out on stage at E3 with some information about the new Xbox, but Sony's reveal would be more surprising, as a new console at this stage in the PlayStation 3's life cycle would fly in the face of the company's stated "ten-year plan".

If both Sony and Microsoft do indeed reveal their new consoles at the same time as Nintendo details the release schedule and pricing for the Wii U, this would quite probably be the biggest E3 in history.

Are you ready for a three-way showdown? Is it still too soon?

If this is true, a PS4 system reveal will be no big surprise. Everyone seems to forget that the PS3 is over 5 years into its life-cycle. It was about that long into the PS2's life-cycle that the PS3 was revealed.

Also, dumb asses were taking the 10 years of support to mean a new console would not release in 10 years. Support is just that, support. A large portion of PS2 support was happening during the PS3 era, so continued PS3 support can happen during the PS4 era.

If people are not ready for a new console, there isn't a need for them to bitch when a new one comes. They can just not buy it and wait till they are ready. Just because a new PS4 comes out, doesn't mean it's needed right away.

If a reveal happens this year, its not like we will see it in stores till 2013 or 2014 anyway.

Then how would you explain this? :think:

Too soon: No plans for next PlayStation at E3, Hirai says | Joystiq

Granted, I doubt they would say something like "Yup, PS4 IS COMING!!!", but still. Hirai has always seemed like a sincere man.

Besides, I always wonder, at this point, what more could they add to a new console to make it worthy of buying? More USB ports? More RAM!?! Multiple Disc Drives?!?!? CUP HOLDERS?!?!!?!?!?

When Virtual Reality is at our front door, I think that will be the time to advance to the next generation.

It is WAY too soon for a PS4. I feel like I haven't even got started with the games on the PS3 and 360. The Wii has needed an update (whenever I play games on it I just grimace at the lack of HD support), but the other two consoles are still going strong.

Besides, it's been said over and over by Sony themselves that the PlayStation console runs on a 10 year cycle.

So assuming it goes the way of PS2, by the 7th year of it's run (2013) we may see the reveal of the PS4, and they'll still be working on PS3 games in those last 3 years.

I have high hopes for those last 3 years, since it's always towards the end of a consoles run do we see the most enhanced games, showcasing the console's full potential.

Concerning a PS4, I have no idea what to expect, or what can be "improved" on. Higher RAM perhaps, considering the Vita even has more RAM than the PS3?

• 2 weeks later...

Article is from the 6th, since then it's been 'confirmed' that the PS4 won't be at E3, same for the Xbox.

Also please keep any discussion of the PS4 here: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/sony-consoles/117300-official-ps4-discussion-speculation-thread.html, and the Xbox 720 can be discussed here: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/xbox-360/142643-xbox-720-a.html.

:locked: