PS Vita can be used as a controller for PS3!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

• The Playstation Vita, tipped for release this October, will have the capability to double up as a controller for its bigger high definition (HD) brother, the Playstation 3 (PS3). This development places it almost directly in line with the Wii U joypad. Both devices also have large touchscreens, analogue joysticks, built-in accelerometers, gyroscopes, speakers, front-facing cameras and microphones.

• It's unclear whether it was his intention to mimic the Wii U's E3 announcement presentation, but speaking at the 2011 Develop Conference last month, Sony Europe R&D manager Phil Rogers certainly appeared to be reading from the same page as Nintendo's US president Reggie Fils-Aime.

• According to Eurogamer, while reading off a list of "boring" technical facts Rogers said, "You could drive a display from a PS3 game, for example. The PS3 can send data down to Vita and Vita can display it. You could use the unique features [of Vita] - gyroscope, touch front and back - as a control device for a PS3 game."

• "You can run software on both devices and use the network to sync the game states. And that's pretty good, because you then have the processing power of PS3 doing that work, Vita [doing] fancy graphics - however you want to do it. You're not sacrificing the PS3's CPU to be able to have a rich experience on Vita."

• Amazingly, cross-platform play is also a possibility. Loading up Wipeout 2048 on a Vita and Wipeout HD on a PS3, Rogers showed how the two systems connect over the Playstation Network and allow simultaneous play of the two games on very different systems. According to Rogers, Hustle Kings will also support this cross-platform experience on launch.

• Remote Play, a system of watching video output from the PS3 on the Vita, will feature alongside a bolder development known as Continuation Play, whereby a gamer will be able to start playing a title on the PS3 then take the game on the move using Vita.

• "We have a system called Title User Storage, which allows 1MB of data on our servers for games. And that can be accessed on both platforms; you can access that same data. You can save your game on PS3, go over to Vita, pull that data back and swap it between them, so you can play a game at home, take it on the train and continue."

• So far, the role playing game Ruin is the only other title announced as supporting Continuation Play, but with so many ports constantly being released, how long will it be before we see people continuing their game of Batman: Arkham City on the bus?

• All this certainly represents a nod to the capabilities of the Wii U teased at this year's E3 Expo. Is this just another example of the other consoles' reactionary approach to Nintendo's innovation or genuine creative thinking from Sony?

Link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

They could beat Nintendo to the punchline! :applause:

Thats if the Vita gets out this year. :pout:

Edited by CoolDust

Can someone clarify this one part for me about Vita's capabilities:

"Here's a few boring technical ideas: you could drive a display from a PS3 game, for example.

"PS3 can send data down to Vita and Vita can display it. You could use the unique features [of Vita] - gyroscope, touch front and back - as a control device for a PS3 game.

"You can run software on both devices and use the network to sync the game states. And that's pretty good, because you then have the processing power of PS3 doing that work, Vita [doing] fancy graphics - however you want to do it. You're not sacrificing the PS3's CPU to be able to have a rich experience on Vita."

If I indeed understand this correctly, are they saying that like the Wii U, you can sort of... "transfer" your game to the Vita's screen while still running off the console? Like, if I'm playing my PS3, but I want to watch TV, I can "transfer" my game to the PS3 and change the input on my TV to watch cable while still playing the game on my Vita?

Note, I'm differentiating from the "cross-platform" play that they talk about later. Cross-platform play is that feature that lets players take a game on the go by using cloud storage for save data and picking up where they left off on the PS3. It's sort of similar but I'm asking about something else, just to avoid confusion.

Can someone clarify this one part for me about Vita's capabilities:

If I indeed understand this correctly, are they saying that like the Wii U, you can sort of... "transfer" your game to the Vita's screen while still running off the console? Like, if I'm playing my PS3, but I want to watch TV, I can "transfer" my game to the PS3 and change the input on my TV to watch cable while still playing the game on my Vita?

Note, I'm differentiating from the "cross-platform" play that they talk about later. Cross-platform play is that feature that lets players take a game on the go by using cloud storage for save data and picking up where they left off on the PS3. It's sort of similar but I'm asking about something else, just to avoid confusion.

Yeah i think it will be up to the devs to implement this though. After all the PSP had a similar function.. Shame to my knowledge on one retail game used it "Lair" you could play it on PSP through remote play. I thought that was awesome and for sure we would see more games using it but no. So the PSV being alot more powerful than a PSP it should be able to run PS3 games fairly well.

I think what they are getting at is you can use the screen on the Vita for a map or something. Say like playing Fallout you could have the pip boy on the PS Vita screen it would be really easy and quick to change equpment. You could do it on the fly. Or even in GTA you could have the GPS on the Vita screen. It could be used in alot of interesting ways, i just hope there are developers who support it!

well this can come in handy for when i need a controller, i know you can connect the psp but not used it as a controller, convenient

There is a way, actually. But you only have one analog stick to use anyway...:o

On topic, this sounds really awesome, and I can't wait until it releases. I've actually thought about this before, since PSP got it's remote play, why not add that to the Vita with the opportunity to play PS3 games?:D Nice to know it's coming.

Edited by OstKakan

Yeah i think it will be up to the devs to implement this though. After all the PSP had a similar function.. Shame to my knowledge on one retail game used it "Lair" you could play it on PSP through remote play. I thought that was awesome and for sure we would see more games using it but no. So the PSV being alot more powerful than a PSP it should be able to run PS3 games fairly well.

I think what they are getting at is you can use the screen on the Vita for a map or something. Say like playing Fallout you could have the pip boy on the PS Vita screen it would be really easy and quick to change equpment. You could do it on the fly. Or even in GTA you could have the GPS on the Vita screen. It could be used in alot of interesting ways, i just hope there are developers who support it!

Right, I gotcha. I would really like to see that feature. It sounds lazy, but PSP gaming and watching TV was like heaven to me, so gaining that same function but with PS3 games sounds awesome (yes, yes I know there's a variety of other ways to do it too).

So I'd really love to see that feature implemented but I agree that it might just be for minor stuff, like displaying important screens or minigames. The Wii U will be doing that as well. Hopefully some future PS3 games will let you play them on the Vita's screen though.

Nifty, it's a very nice feature, especially if you can also display the PS3 games I play on the Vita screen. I can still play while accompanying my wife in the lounge watching some reality TV show. She'll kill me if I spent all of my 'free' time playing games in my man's room. Hopefully the device wireless range is long & strong enough to cover the distance, it's Bluetooth I supposed, so it should be fine. :applause:

This is sounding more and more enticing every time I hear about it. I'm still not sure, still on the fence. Move or Vita. :o

Move is the biggest pile of crap ive bought for my PS3... I dont recommend it at all. Theres only about 10 games that support it. Dont get me wrong the tech is good and the potential was there but Sony seem like they are trying to burry it in the dirt. Maybe in a few years there might be some software worth buying it for.

Move is the biggest pile of crap ive bought for my PS3... I dont recommend it at all. Theres only about 10 games that support it. Dont get me wrong the tech is good and the potential was there but Sony seem like they are trying to burry it in the dirt. Maybe in a few years there might be some software worth buying it for.

Couldn't agree more. I think I've played 3 games with Move support and they haven't been really fun at all. I'd wait for the Move to get more supported games and get a Vita instead. The Vita seems to be much more interesting than Move. The Move is just for some "extra fun" while the Vita will be more of an experience.

well once u play a dating SIM RPG on the PSP in the middle of a church during a seminar on abstinence and ur have the choice of remove her top or kiss her neck softly first - u kinda...wait wat was my point.... ah screw it, im taking off her top ^_^

• 3 weeks later...