This game is awesome, why don't people like it?

YokA_sun

I have been trying to avoid this game because of what people say about it. Now since I finally get to play it, to my surprise it's very good game.

The 1000 lighting seeds are awesome. I specially enjoy finding them. combining collecting and platform jumping together it's like dream come true! Open world is great and smart idea. The dialogue is okay though optional, I find myself constantly stop and chat with the girl. Something ICOish.

Anyway, It's great game. I don't understand why people bad word about it. (I have played all other 4 PoP since PS2). This is actually one of the best among the five.

Btw. I also understand why they made it impossible to die. With such an open world platform setup, dieing is luxury and could easily annoy player (that you have to start over from a check point far behind).

• 2 weeks later...

The game is fairly ok, but there's nothing original to it after encountering the first 4 'bosses'. After that you've seen the game. There roughly are two types of enemies. The spawning ones and the bosses and some three or so soldiers.

Going for some gold trophies then I'll harvest some combo's and collectibles and plat it.

ZzzZzZ all around.

If I remember right, I think most of the reviewers slammed the combat as boring and repetitive, even though they'd probably say the same thing about TSoT if it were released now.

It probably has something to do with the fact that it deviates so far from the original trilogy.

Personally, I love it. The art direction is fantastic, and the chemistry between the Prince and Elika is good.

Then again, I thought Warrior Within was the best of the original trilogy, and a lot of people hate that one.

• 1 month later...

I love the game; this and the original Sands of Time are my favorites (although the water puzzles at the end of Forgotten Sands were the best puzzles of the series, in my opinion). Combat may be a bit repetitive, but I love the level design and the way the prince navigates the levels. I also enjoyed the play between him and Elika. Best 1-player co-op game I've played since Ico.

I know a number of people who had problems with the game controls and hated the game because of it. I think the PoP games always play well (aside from a few wacky jumps), but if you can't get used to the play control, that would definitely kill the game. But, like I said, I love this game.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't hate the game. I played Sands of Time trilogy and was expecting that style game play when I picked this one up. It wasn't the same style at all and at times was frustrating. Were it a game by any other name though it would have been better. Looking at it as a game by itself without prior franchise history it was a decent game, DLC and all. I really did enjoy playing it even with the repetitive game play and buggy controls.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't hate the game too. I think that the main reason because most of the gamers hate this game is simple . . . firts UBISOFT SOLD us the END?? of the game in a DLC second indeed EPILOGUE isn´t the END OF GAME.

Like Silverwolf I played POP Sands of Time trilogy and I expecting the same game play when I picked this one I saw the mistakes, a lot of bugs & you never die. That´s bad. I enjoy but I really want a REAL ENDING. Is so bad that we never know what happen with Elika and the Evil Good.

See U

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i bought the game 2 days ago. Had i payed the full price for it i would've gone back to the shop to return it, but since it cost me only 10€ , i think i´m not angry at the glaring faults the game shows. The controls are horrible, i feel like crying, but considering the price oh well... i bet the prince is looking at Ezio and Altair and asking them 'why do i deserve this...? whyyyyyy?' =P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite enjoying the game from the many acrobatics between the two characters to the light music and vibrant worlds. Well, yeah..the combat isn't really there, but I've played the other Prince of Persia games and tell me how the combat is there in those games because I just got done with Forgotten Sands and I literally pushed SQUARE the whole game for combat.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it too. It had a lot of heart I thought. It was quite unique and the diaogue and relationship between the Prince and Elika really carried it.

Really depresses me to see people moaning about the combat system, wanting instead to be fighting 100 enemies at once too. Why? That's what seemingly every other game does. This game tried to do something different in both the combat and the platforming and it should be appauded for that. The combat could have been executed a bit better but I still really liked that one on one type system. Would like another game similar to this with a few improvements, not gonna happen though cos the bulk of gamers just want the same od formula again and again it seems.

I liked it too. It had a lot of heart I thought. It was quite unique and the diaogue and relationship between the Prince and Elika really carried it.

Really depresses me to see people moaning about the combat system, wanting instead to be fighting 100 enemies at once too. Why? That's what seemingly every other game does. This game tried to do something different in both the combat and the platforming and it should be appauded for that. The combat could have been executed a bit better but I still really liked that one on one type system. Would like another game similar to this with a few improvements, not gonna happen though cos the bulk of gamers just want the same od formula again and again it seems.

I agree with you...

This is an unique game, the history is good... combat system is really cool and it's diferent from others games...

It's cool to do lots of combos with Prince and Elika...

Just the end isn't what I expected... but still is a good game....

I can see why people don't. The combat system is so basic and the boss fights offer no difficulty whatsoever. The fact you can't die is odd, this is the only time i've ever found myself wanting to die on a game purely because i couldn't. There's only really 2 characters (yes there are more like bosses or ahriman but they make such short appearances that they hardly factor into it) so you really just get the prince and Elika. And personally, i hated Elika lol. The story was alright i think, i can't really decide. Not fussed either way really, not bad not great.

Having said that, i do sort of like it. The graphics aren't great but aren't bad either. They're different, and at the time it was first released was definitely deemed to be up to standard. If i had payed the full price for this game i'd definitely be slandering it left, right and centre but as i only paid £5 i'll conclude that it was a fairly enjoyable £5.

Oh, but the worse bit of all... you never find the donkey :thumbsdown:

• 1 month later...

Perhaps it is the horrible platforming that turns people off.

Rented this and man I can not get through another hour. The controls ARE HORRID! Wanna jump - we got X for that, how about wall run, oh that's x too, make sure you're pressing in the exact right direction though or whoops I fell, again, what's that 100000 times before the 2nd boss? I never fell this much on PoP - Forgotten Sands.

This game is a waste of time and precious PS3 memory. Platinum? Not even if you paid me.

Just platinumed this game and am currently downloading (at a strangely slow speed) the DLC. I enjoyed the game - not my favorite of Prince games - and look forward to seeing how the Epilogue wraps the game up. The platinum was easy to obtain, but somewhat enjoyable. I can see how the game is labeled boring... there were times when I hated the idea of having to run through the same area again because I was missing two Light Seeds.

All in all, I'd label this game a 7.5. I gave it my time of day due to my utter love of the other Prince games (extending far back to the good ole' days) and came out with enjoyment. Loved the lavish environments and the speed run trophies, hated that if you were good at the game you had only boss fights to attend to.

Oh well, a decent release three years ago, a decent title now. Hope the DLC is good enough to warrant the ten dollars, but I know it will be worth it to have a fifth consecutive 100% game.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with you...

This is an unique game, the history is good... combat system is really cool and it's diferent from others games...

It's cool to do lots of combos with Prince and Elika...

Just the end isn't what I expected... but still is a good game....

I gota agree with this guy.

I got say though the ending not only isnt what I expected it enraged me quite a bit, I was looking at the screen saying "dude have you not learned anything from your jurney ?"

I gota agree with this guy.

I got say though the ending not only isnt what I expected it enraged me quite a bit, I was looking at the screen saying "dude have you not learned anything from your jurney ?"

I agree .... I was like yelling at the screen ''SLAP HIM IN THE FACE ELIKA !!!''

• 4 weeks later...

I just played this game properly this weekend, and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I picked it up from the bargain bin a couple of years ago and never quite gave it a chance -- but turns out it has a lot of personality. I don't agree with other people; I think the Prince is perfectly responsive once you understand the game mechanics, and it's genuinely fun to flawlessly run from area to area.

I was quite happy with the leisurely pacing of the game. And about the whole dying thing -- I was totally fine with it. In my opinion, 'game overs' are remnants from 90s arcade machines, and I was happy not to reload from the start screen a million times after each time I died; instead, Elika just instantly respawns me at the last platform (or checkpoint). Perfect design for platforming, although I agree it does detract a little from the boss fights.

I hadn't intended on going for the platinum, but since I accidentally got the Be Gentle With Her and Speed Demon trophies on my first playthrough, I might go back and get the rest. I don't know how keen I am on collecting all those light seeds though...

Edited by tagzero