Power Gig - Rise of the Six String

I just got my Game Informer magazine and the inside cover shows an advertisement for a game called Power Gig Rise of the Six String, and it has a guitar with real strings! It doesnt have any release date, but it does say at the bottom that the 6 string guitar is compatible with Rock Band and Guitar Hero games, also that RB and GH controllers are compatible with Power Gig.

Has anyone heard anything else on this game, release date, track list?

It's set to come out a Oct 19th I believe. It has been dubbed the first music game to use a real guitar as a control. They are trying to beat rock band 3 to it by a week. My guess is this is just gonna be a ripoff of guitar hero and rock band and won't be any good. I know personally I am saving up for rock band 3. It has a much better reputation than a new comer trying to make it in the music game genre. Who knows though? It may be a pretty decent game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

im definitly checking this out. for me rock band sucks. guitar hero is awsome. when rock revolution was made. i thought that was awsome. better than rock band. its got potential. but id put any game before rock band except for call of duty. but then thats a different genre.

im definitly checking this out. for me rock band sucks. guitar hero is awsome. when rock revolution was made. i thought that was awsome. better than rock band. its got potential. but id put any game before rock band except for call of duty. but then thats a different genre.

First of all, Rock Revolution sucks. Why? For starters, there's no vocals - they took that out in case it impacted on Karaoke Revolution sales, which in any case was a flop compared to SingStar and Lips.

Guitar Hero wouldn't be so bad if the online worked smoothly - people know what I'm talking about here. The game more often than not tells you "session is no longer available" - very annoying.

I will possibly get this game (Rise of the Six String) unless the reviews say it super sucks. The playing interface looks a bit funky from the youtube video, but that ain't a problem for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Taken from Wiki:

Power Gig: Rise of the SixString has received mostly negative reviews for various reasons. William Abner of GameShark stated that "It's a bad time to release a new music game property -- and an even worse time to release a bad one."[10], alluding to the rhythm genre's poor sales performance in 2009.

Power Gig's guitar peripheral has received negative reviews. Griffin McElroy of Joystiq referred to the game as "a dumbfounding product...[centering] itself around a peripheral which is a real guitar, yet it doesn't allow the player to use the real guitar as if it were a real guitar. Instead, it settles for using a new toy to manipulate an old game -- but still manages to categorically fail at both."[11] McElroy also criticized the quality of the guitar, stating "As far as the quality of said sound -- well, it plays about as well as you'd expect a $180 guitar to play. Which is to say, not well at all".[11]

The game's story mode, soundtrack, and gameplay were also not well received. Abner has stated that "[even] if you grab an old instrument, you are basically just playing a cheap Guitar Hero/Rock Band knock off."[10] Jack DeVries of IGN refers to the story as "laughably bad...a futuristic tale of a city where music it outlawed, so rebel forces have to unite and rock out to take down the evil oppressive Headliner."[9] McElroy referred to the game's cutscenes as being of "CD-i quality". DeVries calls the soundtrack "the weakest setlist ever to grace a guitar game."[9] Mike Splechta of GameZone stated that "The set list is yet another disappointment. It has some variety, and features music that wasn't yet included in other music games, but most of it feels out of place and isn't very fun to play."

Damn, I didn't think it would do well, but I never though it would be THIS bad!!

The sad thing, it seems, is that even when the game drop to something like US$10 in the bargain bin it would require that stupid guitar for platinum.

So there goes a chance for a very cheap platinum.

And my wife really wanted to sing/play that Paramore song... but I'll be damned if I buy a 10 buck game that will taint my profile without a platinum.

Taken from Wiki:

Power Gig: Rise of the SixString has received mostly negative reviews for various reasons. William Abner of GameShark stated that "It's a bad time to release a new music game property -- and an even worse time to release a bad one."[10], alluding to the rhythm genre's poor sales performance in 2009.

Power Gig's guitar peripheral has received negative reviews. Griffin McElroy of Joystiq referred to the game as "a dumbfounding product...[centering] itself around a peripheral which is a real guitar, yet it doesn't allow the player to use the real guitar as if it were a real guitar. Instead, it settles for using a new toy to manipulate an old game -- but still manages to categorically fail at both."[11] McElroy also criticized the quality of the guitar, stating "As far as the quality of said sound -- well, it plays about as well as you'd expect a $180 guitar to play. Which is to say, not well at all".[11]

The game's story mode, soundtrack, and gameplay were also not well received. Abner has stated that "[even] if you grab an old instrument, you are basically just playing a cheap Guitar Hero/Rock Band knock off."[10] Jack DeVries of IGN refers to the story as "laughably bad...a futuristic tale of a city where music it outlawed, so rebel forces have to unite and rock out to take down the evil oppressive Headliner."[9] McElroy referred to the game's cutscenes as being of "CD-i quality". DeVries calls the soundtrack "the weakest setlist ever to grace a guitar game."[9] Mike Splechta of GameZone stated that "The set list is yet another disappointment. It has some variety, and features music that wasn't yet included in other music games, but most of it feels out of place and isn't very fun to play."

Damn, I didn't think it would do well, but I never though it would be THIS bad!!

Wow, I wonder what Timmy22 makes of this? Wonder if he's still buying this game, which is obviously better than any Rock Band game ever made. :rolleyes:

How do u know that?

What trophy does require that particular guitar,

and not any from Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

I don't know for sure and I was hoping that someone could clarify this, but it seems that it's this trophy:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/587/17.jpg(G) Power Chord Master

Hit every Power Chord in any song.

It seems that the only "real" thing you do with the "real" guitar is some power chords, so I think that you cannot do those Power Chords with a plastic guitar.

Let's hope that one of the 2 or 3 people that bought this game can post more info about this trophy and the possibility of a platinum without that stupid "real" guitar.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know for sure and I was hoping that someone could clarify this, but it seems that it's this trophy:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/587/17.jpg(G) Power Chord Master

Hit every Power Chord in any song.

It seems that the only "real" thing you do with the "real" guitar is some power chords, so I think that you cannot do those Power Chords with a plastic guitar.

Let's hope that one of the 2 or 3 people that bought this game can post more info about this trophy and the possibility of a platinum without that stupid "real" guitar.

i would like to give it a shot with a Fender Mustang RB3 pro guitar - but ... im from germany and power gig isnt out outside the US ... and importing this not knowing if i could platinum it ... meh ... expensive

i would like to give it a shot with a Fender Mustang RB3 pro guitar - but ... im from germany and power gig isnt out outside the US ... and importing this not knowing if i could platinum it ... meh ... expensive

I does not work with the Fender Mustang.

So, if we need the Power Gig guitar to platinum, that's going to be a very expensive platinum.

Especially because the game sucks and the guitar it's a real cheap and bad "real guitar".

I does not work with the Fender Mustang.

So, if we need the Power Gig guitar to platinum, that's going to be a very expensive platinum.

Especially because the game sucks and the guitar it's a real cheap and bad "real guitar".

to bad, ild say:

letz find a few ppl and get 1 "real" guitar sending it from user to user XD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to revive such an old topic. But I finally just got this in from GameFly and decided to come back and check out what was being said about it here, and damn.. I must say I am not going to expect much out of this game now. I don't have the "real" guitar, just an old GHWT guitar. I'll try and learn more about the "Hit all power chords" trophy and see if it's possible with a RB or GH device.

EDIT: ugh just read every other thread in this forum including trophy guide, and it does involve specific peripherals. So to hell with platinum!

Edited by Blessorship

i just got this tonight and its awsome. it beats the setlist of rockband and guitar hero to me. definitly with kid rock and 3 days grace on it. it was hard at first cause it does get laggy at times but after 2 or 3 songs i only missed 1% of notes. so its managable. story isnt that great. graphics to me are awsome. although i care less about graphics. within 5 songs i had about 7 trophies. and im using my gh wor guitar. it is setup like rock revolution. i thought it was awsome so to me this is awsome. and out of work at the moment so i can only buy games really cheap. got it at gamestop for $8.99 and it came with an amp for free. for that price it was worth it. id be willing to pay $30 for it but no more.

• 3 weeks later...