First impressions?

Now that we've had a bit of a look at this one, I was wondering if anyone was actually considering purchasing/playing this. It seems an emerging (and desperate) trend in music games is adding a story. I for one think it will fail miserably. Is anyone out there psyched up for this game (or any story-based music game)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

definitly gonna get it. rock band sucks. my opinion. guitar hero might be better. this competes with rock revolution which i thought was awsome. which idc about graphics. and rock band i hate the squares. id rather have circles for notes. easier to see to me. and rock band was to flashy for me and they never had a great setlist.

definitly gonna get it. rock band sucks. my opinion. guitar hero might be better. this competes with rock revolution which i thought was awsome. which idc about graphics. and rock band i hate the squares. id rather have circles for notes. easier to see to me. and rock band was to flashy for me and they never had a great setlist.

We're all entitled to our opinions of course, but I find it hard to believe that RB "never had a great setlist". I suppose you find Rock Revolution's 100% cover versions more appealing. :whistle:

Not sure what the difference is between long bars and "gems", but I find RB's cleaner interface more user-friendly, particularly the HOPOs which are easier to spot in RB.

I have a problem with the drum chart in GH. I would expect the two left most gems to be snare-hihat (for right handed people), but instead it's snare-crash. A better and more intuitive mapping would be snare-hihat-tom-crash-ride-tom. My reasoning is that snare and hihat are used far more than snare and crash.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm all for rooting for the underdogs (Rock Revolution and Power Gig) but there's no way in hell that it'll top Rock Band. Guitar Hero just plain sucked after II - and you can only thank Activision for butchering not only the formula, but the genre altogether. They're better off just making arcade machines that'll eventually wind up in some wily collector's basement.

Besides, I have much more respect for Harmonix among others - especially because they don't whore themselves out in the media as often as Activision does for their products. I've seen many - and I mean MANY - advertisements for Call of Duty and Guitar Hero. Very seldom did I see a TV spot for Rock Band 3, Power Gig, or Rock Revolution if it had even shown up during the commercials at all. Fuck man, I don't have to buy everything I see on TV. More often than not I'm pressured into buying shitty gaming products.

Hey Timmy where've you disappeared to?

Power Gig is definitely better than any rhythm game because I see now that it has no online mode. Who'd want to play online anyway, huh? :whistle:

• 4 months later...
BigLots has this bundle for $40. I got the DJhero bundle for $20 there also.:applause:

Shuuush, I'm trying to sell it lol. I bought it at Big Lots for $25. It's a piece of shit. It actually lags, wtf? I can't even beat the training. The sustain buttons don't work. You're supposed to hold down the fret button but it doesn't work and the tutorial sucks. I'n gonna try to sell it for half the retail value, never know if someone will bite :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I've played this for a couple of hours now, so a quick "first impressions" review. I might change my mind. But I doubt it.

Airstrike drums: They suck. They just plain suck. You have to lift and then 'strike' down in an exaggerated manner in order for your beats to register. I was knackered after finishing one song on master (equivalent to hard on GH Metallica, I suppose)... oh, and I managed almost 2 seals (i.e. 2 stars). Either I suck or the Airstrike drums suck. Considering I can get 5 stars on some of the final tier songs in Rock Band on first sightread, I doubt it's me. Also, each drumstick requires 2 AA batteries. The 'drumkit' requires 2 AA batteries too - so that's 6 AA batteries you need just to use the Airstrike drums. There's also no on/off button, so yeah your batteries are draining before they auto-power off. And no, you can't just easily take them out the drumsticks - it's all screwed down. Bad design, no fun at all.

Guitar: This is a dinky guitar, just the right size for a child. Granted it can be played as a real electric guitar, it's not the right fricking size! Frets and strings are very responsive, so that's good. You get 3 plectrums and three spare strings (only the higher register strings, which makes sense). The guitar needs 2 AA batteries, so that's 8 altogether including the Airstrike drumkit. The guitar has no tilt mechanism, so you activate Mojo (= overdrive/Star Power) by flicking a little joystick. Soooo not cool. The game has open string notes, so well done for acknowledging that not only bassists have open string notes (a la Guitar Hero). After a disastrous attempt with the Airstrike drums, I thought I'd play the guitar on recruit (i.e. 'Easy'). That got me 5 seals on each of the three songs in the setlist. But unfortunately the game sucks in the guitar department. You can press any string on the fret, and you can pluck any string to play a note - and I tried it. I could score points by holding say the low E string and then plucking the high E string, and the game says that's fine. Yeah, sure, that's how a real guitar is played. This is bullshit.

I've not tried vocals yet, but I don't suppose it'll be much different from RB/GH. If so, I'll post more info later.

My first impression of the game is: if I paid full price for this, I would have demanded my money back. Even Rock Band's original drumkit is more fun than the Airstrike drums. And adding cymbals to RB drums (or buying the RB3 Pro Drums) is how drums should be. What the f*** were the developers thinking - air fricking drums?!?! I've not yet had a chance to play Pro Guitar in RB (it's not for sale in the EU/UK yet), but from what I've heard, RB3 has nothing to worry about. The guitar in Six String really really sucks. It's a lost opportunity.

It's a shame because the setlist is actually not bad. I don't know most of the songs, but they sound like solid tunes that wouldn't be out of place in an original GH or RB game.

The setlist is bad dude only 5 of the 65 songs are good,and those songs are in RB and GH. Kid Rock SHOULD NOT have been in this game hes a vocalist.

Dave Mathhews ? he still plays live ? he only has like 2-3 good songs in his band.

Eric Clapton-His signature song '"Crossroads'' was played by that idiot pop guitarist John Mayer. The song selections for Eric wern't that good. I doubt I'll ever get this game even for 25$ I'd rather sell my copy of Fallout 3 and get the GOTY edition for 30$ for the DLCs.

The setlist is bad dude only 5 of the 65 songs are good,and those songs are in RB and GH. Kid Rock SHOULD NOT have been in this game hes a vocalist.

Dave Mathhews ? he still plays live ? he only has like 2-3 good songs in his band.

Eric Clapton-His signature song '"Crossroads'' was played by that idiot pop guitarist John Mayer. The song selections for Eric wern't that good. I doubt I'll ever get this game even for 25$ I'd rather sell my copy of Fallout 3 and get the GOTY edition for 30$ for the DLCs.

Dude, I was being way too lenient. I played a few more hours of Power Gig today... I felt like falling asleep. This game has the most boring setlist ever - even Band Hero had catchy tunes to keep you awake like YMCA lol.

This game is the biggest PoS ever. I'll be glad to get the platinum, and then sell the PoS before it stinks out my flat grrrr. :mad: