Controls

SpockChick13

From what I've heard, the Portal controls for PS3 aren't very fluid. I don't have experience with it, because I'm used to playing on the PC. Do you think that Valve will revamp the controls for Portal 2, or will it be just as tough as before.

Here's hoping this game will be a tad easier to play, and that the cake will still be a lie.

I didn't have a problem with the controls in Portal 1? I'm pretty sure it had a menu for changing the control layout [may need confirming]? If I remember right, R1 and L1 were the portal triggers, but I switched them to R2 and L2 because I like the trigger style buttons for firing on FPS's.

There were not that many controls to consider in Portal 1, only Movement, Jump, 2 X Fire, Grab and activate. Not really anything complex, there were no items to use, inventory, weapon changing, or fancy moves to perform.

They may add something new to Portal 2, but I really can't see the controls being a problem. I think the controls were kept simple due to the game being pretty tricky at times.

• 3 weeks later...

From what the co-op gameplay videos show (Part 1 especially), the controls are as such:

Single Co-op 1 Co-op 2

-----------------------------

:l2: = Portal 1 (blue) (cyan) (orange)

:r2: = Portal 2 (orange) (navy blue) (red)

:2walls: When you keep pressing the same trigger button over and over until you realize you need to press the other trigger button to create a connecting portal, as the person in Co-op Part 1 did.

I forgot to mention, you cannot shoot portals while you're holding an object. :l2: will likely be assigned to throw objects whenever you're holding onto them. Although this feature was never fully realized in Portal 1, you'll likely to find yourself to save time on those pesky challenges if you use the throw feature properly. It takes some effort and a good deal of patience to master.

• 5 months later...

The Interact button might have multiple uses here.

Dance (required for several trophies)

Button/Door (required for door button)

Taunt (for several trophies)

Hug (for Friends trophy)

Interact here seems much like Duke Nukem and Unreal Tournament

Edited by Naulziator

no need to worry portal controls worked fine pretty simple. to succeed just be able to have the logic & comprehension to get from point a to point b with tools at hand. I was at PAX and they've added this colored paint stuff that reacts to your gun I guess but alot of physics based puzzles to be found.:applause:

Didn't had problem when I played The Orange Box on Xbox 360 but it sure was easier on PC. I wished Valve would just add mouse and keyboard support to the PS3 version. Epic Games is still the only one which had a PS3 game (Unreal Tournament 3) that supports mouse and keyboard for gameplay.

Not true. DCUO has it if I remember correctly from the beta. I briefly played the Orange Box on PS3 before buying it myself on PC, and the controls were perfectly fine.

• 1 month later...