Anyone else get STILL ALIVE co-op trophy alone using 2 controllers?

TheMillerLowLife

Just got this trophy by myself, using two controllers to play co-op and I was wondering if anyone else did it this way. First, I played through course 4 for the first time, just trying to figure out and get used to the puzzles, using a walkthrough as a reference. Then, I did it again, trying to do it without dying, and got the trophy without a single restart or mistake. Took about an hour and a half total. I found this much easier than trying to work with some one else. Even Test Chambers 8 and 9 weren't bad. Overall, it was actually really simple. I'm considering beating Course 5 this way, but I don't know if it's possible to beat all of those chambers this way (haven't played course 5 co-op yet). So, 2 controllers FTW?

Edit: I did it by having each controller rest on the corresponding leg when not in use. It helps to consistantly use the same color portals as your entrance and exit portal each and every time, that way you don't have to stop and think about which one to fire at a given spot as you progress.

Edited by TheMillerLowLife

Just got this trophy by myself, using two controllers to play co-op and I was wondering if anyone else did it this way. First, I played through course 4 for the first time, just trying to figure out and get used to the puzzles, using a walkthrough as a reference. Then, I did it again, trying to do it without dying, and got the trophy without a single restart or mistake. Took about an hour and a half total. I found this much easier than trying to work with some one else. Even Test Chambers 8 and 9 weren't bad. Overall, it was actually really simple. I'm considering beating Course 5 this way, but I don't know if it's possible to beat all of those chambers this way (haven't played course 5 co-op yet). So, 2 controllers FTW?

Edit: I did it by having each controller rest on the corresponding leg when not in use. It helps to consistantly use the same color portals as your entrance and exit portal each and every time, that way you don't have to stop and think about which one to fire at a given spot as you progress.

It sound like you are desperate... I wish more ppl could be like me & sis, helping with Portal 2 trophies.

Haha, not desperate, just impatient. I tried playing with a friend the other night and it was way more difficult IMO. That only lasted for 2 Test Chambers in course 4. I also had 2 different people die moronic deaths while playing the first few chambers on course 4. It was more frustrating than I could stand at that point. Using two controllers was actually pretty easy. I just don't work well others, not enough patience I suppose.

You got "Still Alive" with out a partner? Forever Alone xD....

Now back to the topic, I also did it alone, I think it's easier to get it playing alone since you can be more carefull and precised, and only the last test chamber was a little hard....

Now, I don't think you will be able to pass Course 5 alone, since test chamber 7 and 8 need to have both robots moving at the sime time and it doesn't give you too much space for errors, even doing with 2 players it's a short time.....

Ah, so I wasn't the only one. I agree 100% about being more careful and precise.

As for course 5, I just connected up with a random person on Steam who was at the same skill level as me, and we made it all the way to chamber 8 on course five before getting disconnected. I'll just have my girl help me with that chamber later. Great game, but I really hate co-op trophies.

Edited by TheMillerLowLife

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just did it after 4 tries. Well, 4 tries after about 10-15 tries with a partner.

I found it surprisingly easy most of the time, and luckily on my 4th try, i managed to time it just right to not need to stop while going through the moving spiked tunnel.

Felt good getting the trophy this way!

Part of the difficulty of this trophy is trying not to mess up and aggravate your partner. Doing it yourself means you can go at your leisure and practice as much as you want.

that's mostly the reason I held off on trying to find a partner who wanted to do this, I don't want to be the guy who keeps messing up :D

I think doin this solo must be way easier than doin it in 2. This is the video guide i followed, very usefull and plenty of shortcuts: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ia8TIRL5hE]Portal 2 Still Alive Achievement solo run - YouTube[/ame]

i just dumbly died twice in the last room, but after all it is not that hard to complete without ding.

TIP: in the last course you don't actually need to have both characters to reach the last room, one of the two may remains in the very first room all the time

Edited by MerioMerio

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to do all the courses and all the co-op trophies except Triple Crown with two controllers (and without a guide). It's fairly easy once you get the hang of it. Only a couple of chambers where you really need to quickly do two things at once and they were early on in the game - 1 room in each of course 1 and 2 from memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Just played this coop for the first time with a friend and can now understand why everybody is doing it solo!

It is just to frustrating trying to communicate using the gestures and the ping tool.

Think I will try this solo now!

I feel this game works much better as a single player experience. Mind you I think that about a lot of games!! Billy no mates I am.

• 3 weeks later...
I think doin this solo must be way easier than doin it in 2. This is the video guide i followed, very usefull and plenty of shortcuts:

i just dumbly died twice in the last room, but after all it is not that hard to complete without ding.

TIP: in the last course you don't actually need to have both characters to reach the last room, one of the two may remains in the very first room all the time

i found this video very helpful. but has anyone else found that glass ledge hard to hop onto in chamber 8? this is a crucial step in bypassing the maze of spiked beds. i can hop onto a glass ledge beside the yellowish wall, but can't get to the one further down that has the glass wall beside it. and i can't seem to hop from the ledge next to the yellow wall to the one by the glass wall. i encounter an invisible barrier. the guy who did the video missed the first time but succeeded the second and i really couldn't tell what he did differently. i also can't tell whether you just run quickly off that white platform or whether you jump to catch the glass ledge.

any further tips would be very much appreciated. thanks!

i was finally able to do the still alive trophy by myself, using the basic technique found on that video shown on the previous page. i couldn't hop on the invisible ledge as the person in the video. instead, it took a series of hops, but it still worked. i couldn't do triple crown by myself, tried as a might. needed help on that one.

and i can attest for starkiller being very helpful. i messaged him on PSN and not minutes went by when he responded (i needed one last hug for my plat.) he was a great sport when i couldn't even hit the hug gesture right. :p if you're in need of Portal 2 help, i totally recommend him.

i was finally able to do the still alive trophy by myself, using the basic technique found on that video shown on the previous page. i couldn't hop on the invisible ledge as the person in the video. instead, it took a series of hops, but it still worked. i couldn't do triple crown by myself, tried as a might. needed help on that one.

and i can attest for starkiller being very helpful. i messaged him on PSN and not minutes went by when he responded (i needed one last hug for my plat.) he was a great sport when i couldn't even hit the hug gesture right. :p if you're in need of Portal 2 help, i totally recommend him.

It was my pleasure. Always willing to help out on trophies with this.

Just an FYI to anyone looking for help, my TV blew up a couple nights ago, and I'm currently using my kids 20" lcd monitor for gaming. I'm used to a big screen, so it is hard for me to make out alot of things on screen. I should have my new, although temporary, 40" set in a few days and will be back to helping on this game. Lou

It seems that Stage 4 is almost built to be played by one person with two controllers. I, too, found it loads easier to do it alone on my own time with two controllers rather than letting down my co-op buddy about five out of seven tries previously. It was also pretty rewarding to get that trophy on my own.

level 8 was the most difficult for me, the crushers and getting turnaround and dizzy everytime i went through another portal through the excursion funnel, but it is well worth it in the end

I tried doing it by myself up until 7 it's easy but after that it starts to geta little ridiculous. I ended up getting it with a buddy on the second try. It's way easier if you do it with 2 people on the same system. Trying to do it through online might be a completely different story.

My reccommendation: Get a friend to hang out with you for an hour and do it together. And if that's not an option...You may want to seriouly consider getting off your PS3 to make some friends in the real world.