Portal 2 - PS3 & Steam Integration FAQ

technole

http://i56.tinypic.com/11gt2f7.png

Special thanks to Setsuna for the logo!

If you enjoy my guide, and would like to

join as a member of the ps3trophies.org family as a result, feel free to give me a referral upon signing-up!

Contents

1) Steam Overlay FAQ

2) Steam Cloud FAQ

3) Playing Online with Steam + PSN Players

4) Using Steam + PSN to unlock Portal 2 Online "friends" trophies

5) How to unlock the Professor Portal Trophy by yourself using your Steam code (guide by MFVillin)

Steam Overlay FAQ

Why did Valve decide to integrate Steam with the PS3 version of Portal 2?

I'll just let Gabe Newell, Managing Director of Valve Software explain from his speech at Sony's E3 2010 conference:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQVh7BG7kg]Gabe Newell Speech at Sony's E3 2010 Press Conference[/ame]

How do I access Steam on my PS3?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2256/5751501239_ba1ffd5c48_m.jpg

Once you have loaded Portal 2 on your PS3, you can access the Steam Overlay at anytime simply by pressing the :select: button on your PS3 controller.

What are some features the Steam Overlay on PS3 provides?

Among the features available in the Steam Overlay on PS3:

• Play cross-platform from your PS3 with Steam friends using Windows or Mac OS versions of Portal 2.

• Ability to maximize your friendship audience to help unlock Portal 2 online trophies.

• Access your Steam friends list, enabling you to chat with, add, or remove Steam friends.

• Access redeemed downloadable content registered in Windows or Mac, and vice-versa

• View your Steam friends’ community profiles.

• View your earned and unearned Steam Achievements, as well as global achievement stats, for Portal 2.

• See the latest news and announcements for Portal 2.

Steam Overlay Friends List:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/5752046192_8f845e3171.jpg

Steam Profile on PC:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2756/5751501223_b846972152.jpg

How do PSN trophies and Steam achievements integrate?

Steam achievements are earned in tandem with PSN Trophies: earning a PSN Trophy while logged-in to a Steam account will also award you the corresponding Steam Achievement once you have linked your PSN and Steam accounts. Unlike with PSN trophies, if you are online, Steam achievements will automatically sync to your Steam profile upon achieving them.

Achievements earned in Windows or Mac OS X versions of Portal 2 do not unlock PSN Trophies. So you will have to unlock that trophy seperately on the PS3 save data if you unlock a Steam achievement on your PC.

How do I link my PSN account with my Steam account in Portal 2?

After starting Portal 2 on your PS3, bring up the Steam Overlay feature by pressing the :select: on your PS3 controller. If you are not yet logged in to the PSN, you will be prompted to do so here.

You will then be prompted to either log in to an existing Steam account, or have the ability create a new one. If you choose to create a new Steam account, the name of the account will appear to others in Steam to be the same as your PSN ID. This new Steam account will automatically be linked to your PSN ID.

If I already have an existing Steam account, why should I link my PSN ID with that account instead of creating a new one?

Using your current Steam account provides you with several benefits:

• Your Portal 2 gameplay stats and any earned PSN Trophies / Steam achievements will appear on your Steam community profile. Additionally, any Steam achievements earned in Portal 2 on your PS3 will be unlocked on your Steam profile automatically when online on PSN.

• You will have access to both PSN friends AND Steam friends to play Portal 2 co-op games and unlock PSN trophies / Steam Achievements with.

• Your existing Steam friends list will be available for you on your PS3 to chat with in the Steam Overlay.

From a Windows or Mac OS X computer, how do I log in to my Steam account that I created on my PS3 in Portal 2?

To access a new account created by the PS3 version of Portal 2 on your computer, you will first need to download the Steam software. When you run the software and arrive at the log-in screen, select “PS3 - First time signing in?”, which will allow you to log in to Steam using your PSN ID. You will then be guided through the first-time log-in process, and asked to set up your account credentials.

If this is your first time using Steam you may also wish to review Valve' Steam FAQ articles containing useful Information for New Users.

How do I access my PS3 copy of Portal 2 from my Windows or Mac OS computer?

Each new copy of Portal 2 on PS3 includes a one-time use code allowing you permanent access to the game on Windows or Mac through Steam.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3626/5779121912_f117898dce_b.jpg

Each code is unique and non-transferable, and can only be registered to a single Steam account.

To redeem this code, please take the following steps:

1) After you have linked your Steam account and your PSN ID, log in to Steam on Windows or Mac. If you do not yet have Steam, download the software here.

2) On your PC, launch the Steam application and log in to your account. If you created a new Steam account using the Steam Overlay on PS3, on the log-in screen, select “PS3 - First time signing in?”, which will guide you through the first-time Steam login via your PSN account (you will then be asked to set up your account credentials)

3) Once you have logged in to the account, go to the "Games" menu along the top, choose “Activate a Product on Steam”, and enter the key provided on the card included in the game’s packaging. After this key has been activated, the game can be downloaded and played by selecting "Library" on the menu, and then double-clicking Portal 2.

Note: The Portal 2 game download on PC is 10.5 gigabytes. It does not have to all be downloaded in one-session. As the Steam client also acts as an auto-downloader client so you can pause the download anytime. Also if you ever uninstall the game, you can always re-download your copy via Steam.

Even though the PS3 Portal 2 game is a blu-ray disc. There is no PC data on it and it cannot be be used to install the game in Windows or Mac OS X. Instead, your computer will download the appropriate version of the game through digital-download via Steam.

Can two players play online co-op with each other using a single purchase of Portal 2 for PS3?

On the PS3, split-screen co-op can be played using one copy of the game. When you purchase a new copy of Portal 2 for PS3, you will receive an in-box code which provides your linked Steam account with access to your copy of Portal 2 on your computer. The game is still owned by only a single Steam account--another copy will be required to play online co-op with a friend on PC.

However it is possible for two-players to play together via PC and PS3. With a linked PSN and Steam account, only one copy of the game may be active online at a time. In this case, the primary PSN user that wants to earn trophies on the PS3 will need to link to a separate Steam account. The second PSN user will need to be linked to the Steam account that has the Portal 2 download code attached to.

This will allow one PC copy to play with the PS3 disc version without running into the "one ID at-at-time" rule.

Steam Cloud

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2114/5752067148_3abccdf9c1.jpg

How do I use the Steam Cloud features for Portal 2 on my PS3?

Steam Cloud is automatically enabled once you've linked your PSN and Steam accounts.

Portal 2 for PS3 is the only console version that supports Steam Cloud, which allows your settings, and saves to be transferable from one PS3 to another, or any computer to another computer. This allows you transfer your game saves to other PS3s without ever having to backup your save on a USB stick or having to use the PlayStation Plus :psn+: Cloud service.

Note:Your PS3 save data that is in your save data folder on the PS3 is incompatible with other platforms. Also data from a PS3 is locked to a PSN ID just like any PS3 game save. So you cannot share it with others. However you can backup the data manually to removable media at anytime.

Also save files stored on Steam Cloud for your PSN ID will not interfere with Steam Cloud save files stored for your Windows or OSX computer. This is because the two save files are not compadible with each other via Steam Cloud.

Edited by technole
Editorial Sweep

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accessing Steam Cloud on the PS3

To access Steam Cloud settings for the PS3, you must first log in to your linked PSN account.

Once you have done so, you may access the Steam Cloud menu from either the Load Game or Save Game screens in-game.

While on either the Save or Load screen, press the :triangle: button to access the Steam Cloud settings, where you can select the number of saves to sync. Steam Cloud will automatically sync the most recently made saves , allowing you to pick up where you left off on any PS3.

Note: Choosing to sync more saves may result in longer download and sync times for your save data when starting the game on a different PS3 system.

Playing Online with Steam + PSN users

You can simply use the same invite system in the in-game menu and select friends from either PSN or Steam to play online with. Also, you can use the multiplayer menu to find a partner online and you'll be connected to a random available player.

Playing with Steam users is almost the same as playing with any PS3 friend. Although many versed PC users are likely to have microphones/headsets which is highly suggested. Obviously you will not be using PSN chat to keyboard communicate but rather the Steam Overlay chat that you can access via :select: .

If you are going random and feel you and your partner get along, I suggest adding the friend to your Steam friends list as soon as possible. Not only because you can re-invite each other if you get disconnected, but also to qualify for the friendship trophies & Steam achievements. Remember Steam players want their achievements too!

As Portal 2 is a visual game, and if you can communicate by-voice the better time you'll have online. While you learn all these methods in the initial co-op tutorial, I cannot stress enough how valuable these in-game tools are regardless of who are playing online with:

:l2: - Ping Tool - You will learn to use right away in your very first co-op session to communicate specific points in the chamber/map. This is a valuable resource even with voice chat. As you can direct your partners

:triangle: - Partner Camera - This is a great visual to see what your partner is looking at.

:right: - Countdown Clock - You'll run into sequences where you need to time them appropriately, rather than counting down via headset use this tool.

Using Steam + PSN to unlock Portal 2 Online "friends" Trophies

The most common PS3 trophies players are likely to take advantage of Steam integration are the following:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/610/43.jpgProfessor Portal http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/site/icons/trophy_gold.png

After completing co-op, complete Calibration Course online with a friend who hasn’t played before

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/610/51.jpgFriends List With Benefits http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/site/icons/trophy_silver.png

While playing co-op, hug 3 different people on your friends list

With Steam integration, these trophies can be unlocked not only via PSN friends, but also Steam friends. It is important to note the trophy requirements and how they relate to Steam as both of these trophies require you to be "friends" with the opposite player.

That means if you connected randomly with a Steam player you will be ineligible for these trophies. Ask your partner if they wish to help with these Steam Achievements / PSN trophies and add each other to your Steam friends list. For PSN friends, it is a requirement your friend be on your PSN friends list to allow invites.

After which you must leave the game, than use the invite feature to invite your friends to be eligible. Please refer to our Trophy Guide & Roadmap for more details on how to unlock these PSN trophies / Steam Achievements.

How to unlock the Professor Portal trophy by yourself using your Steam code

Guide by MFVillin

Warning:

If you use this method, your PC version of Portal 2 will be forever linked with a secondary account. (Unless you can get steam support to change the account that's linked. I haven't tried that so don't know if it works or not.) This is because the unlock code only works with one Steam account. What this means is that your Steam achievements will not show up on your primary account because the game will not be linked to that account. So think it over first if you're a regular Steam gamer.

If you're not concerned about Steam achievements and just want to get this trophy, then read on.

Estimated Setup Time: 5 - 10 mins. It's easy :)

(That doesn't include the Portal 2 download time, but you can do something else while that's running)

What you'll need:

• New Copy of Portal 2 with an unlock code for the PC version
  • Laptop or Desktop near your PS3
  • A second PSN account which has not played Portal 2 co-op

1. Complete the co-op courses on your PS3 and unlock (G)You Saved Science (Make sure you have this trophy before continuing. If you don't, the game has not registered that you've completed all co-op courses. Please refer to the trophy guide by Spikey654 and technole if you have any questions.)

2. If you have a second PSN account on your machine login to it. (If not, create a second user on your PS3 and register an account with PSN)

3. Start up Portal 2 on the second PSN account and link it to Steam through the SELECT button menu.

4. Get on your computer and login to Steam with the button that says "PS3 - First Time Signing In" using your second PSN account. (NOT the account you want the trophy on)

5. Now enter the PC unlock code and download Portal 2 to your Steam account. To enter the code in Steam, select 'Games > Activate a Product on Steam' from the menu. (Portal 2 is around 10gigs so it may take a while).

6. Back on PS3, startup Portal 2 with your main account and press select to open the steam menu. Send a steam friend request to your secondary account

7. On your computer, accept the steam friend request and start Portal 2. To accept the friend request in Steam, select 'Friends > View Friends List' from the main menu. Then click the

Accept button by the request.

8. Now just send a game invite from PS3 to your secondary account and complete the calibration course using your PS3 to control one player and your computer to control the other. It's easy to do by yourself, there's nothing in this course that requires both characters move at once.

9. Enjoy your new (G)

NOTE: After completing the calibration course, be sure to hug your "other self" if you still need (S)Friends List With Benefits. Now you only need to hug two other people. (Thanks to technole for the idea)

If you found this helpful and you're not already a member of PS3T, click here join this awesome site.

This is not very complicated, but I've seen a few threads asking for help with this trophy. So I thought I'd try to give detailed steps for anyone that doesn't have a partner who never played co-op before. I did this myself and can confirm it works.

(Special thanks to MFVillin for including his guide in the FAQ!)

Edited by technole

Good info.

Some followup questions to investigate for us trophy hunters out there (since the trophy/achievement connection info is fairly limited so far)...

Do you have to be logged in to Steam to have your PS3 trophies pop as achievements there? (Or, does Steam automatically log you on everytime you play PS3 Portal once you've connected your account?)

And is there any retroactive compatibility among trophies/achievements? If I'm at 51% in Portal trophy completion, but have not linked a Steam account... once I link a Steam account, will the trophies I've already earn grant me the corresponding achievements, or will I have to re-earn the achievements I've already passed once I link the account? If the latter... will the fact that I already have the trophies on the PS3 cause any issues in the Steam achievements popping?

Just a couple things I was curious about. I've been holding onto my PC code in case I have trouble finding a Professor Portal partner once I finish the co-op. If I find a partner without a problem then I may create a Steam account (I'm not a huge PC gamer so I don't have one yet) and link them but I was curious how Steam would handle the fact that I've already earned trophies before linking an account.

Good info.

Some followup questions to investigate for us trophy hunters out there (since the trophy/achievement connection info is fairly limited so far)...

Do you have to be logged in to Steam to have your PS3 trophies pop as achievements there? (Or, does Steam automatically log you on everytime you play PS3 Portal once you've connected your account?)

And is there any retroactive compatibility among trophies/achievements? If I'm at 51% in Portal trophy completion, but have not linked a Steam account... once I link a Steam account, will the trophies I've already earn grant me the corresponding achievements, or will I have to re-earn the achievements I've already passed once I link the account? If the latter... will the fact that I already have the trophies on the PS3 cause any issues in the Steam achievements popping?

Just a couple things I was curious about. I've been holding onto my PC code in case I have trouble finding a Professor Portal partner once I finish the co-op. If I find a partner without a problem then I may create a Steam account (I'm not a huge PC gamer so I don't have one yet) and link them but I was curious how Steam would handle the fact that I've already earned trophies before linking an account.

You are automatically logged into Steam if you are on PSN (you get asked to link or create a new Steam account). Also your Steam Achievements sync automatically once you unlock a trophy. Kind of ironic that Steam is a little more advanced in that regard eh? ;)

You can earn achievements offline just like with trophies. If you go online to link you should get them synchronized to your Steam profile automatically once linked.

You reminded me I probably should make note somewhere that Portal 2 is about 2.2gigs to download from Stream.

You are automatically logged into Steam if you are on PSN (you get asked to link or create a new Steam account). Also your Steam Achievements sync automatically once you unlock a trophy. Kind of ironic that Steam is a little more advanced in that regard eh? ;)

You can earn achievements offline just like with trophies. If you go online to link you should get them synchronized to your Steam profile automatically once linked.

You reminded me I probably should make note somewhere that Portal 2 is about 2.2gigs to download from Stream.

Good stuff, thanks. My next question would have been about the size of the download, so kudos on thinking of that before I did. Also might wanna note, for those who haven't used Steam before that it's a 1.5meg download... so true Steam newbies should estimate the total HDD space closer to 2.4 GB.

I did notice that the Steam achievements were being tracked, I just wasn't sure if they would sync to an account that was created after the trophies were earned. I'll assume that they are given what you've said (I understand it'd be hard for a veteran Steam user to test).

Valve may lose some profits from the limited people that would have legit bought both the PS3 & PC versions, but getting those like me who primarily console-game but also have decent gaming PCs hooked up on Steam is borderline genius cross-promotion.

I thought I remembered Portal 2 being around 10GB for the download. Is it only 2?

Edit: One other thing I just noticed. The steam achievements will not unlock until you use the "Activate a product on steam" link and enter the unlock code. Therefore, if you give the code to someone else or use it on a second account, you will not get the Portal 2 Steam achievements on your primary Steam account. This info is only based on looking at my main Steam account, and I used the unlock code on a second account, so I cannot test out my theory. If anyone else can verify this, it would be probably be good info for those interested in Steam achievements.

Edited by MFVillin

I thought I remembered Portal 2 being around 10GB for the download. Is it only 2?

Yeah, I misspoke earlier, it was 10.5 gigs to download via Steam. I'll be adding more information around install.

Can I not sync my PS3 save, to my PC save? I've been trying to do this for over a month, and can't tell if it's because of the lame ass PSN not being fully functional, or if this feature doesn't exist.

Unfortunately, you can't move your PS3 save to PC. This was supposedly a feature that was mentioned by Valve to be possible before release but it never materialized. As Steam Cloud is only between like platforms. I did make it more clear in the Steam Cloud FAQ.

Unfortunately, you can't move your PS3 save to PC. This was supposedly a feature that was mentioned by Valve to be possible before release but it never materialized. As Steam Cloud is only between like platforms. I did make it more clear in the Steam Cloud FAQ.

I'm pretty sure that was a rumor an announcement the originally made that they ended up shooting down at some point. I could've sworn they made an announcement saying it won't be possible.

I'm pretty sure that was a rumor an announcement the originally made that they ended up shooting down at some point. I could've sworn they made an announcement saying it won't be possible.

Yeah, it had to be a rumor that someone ran with. Maybe someone confused the cross-game play with also cross-saves. I follow other boards and many are always asking the question. When they announced the Steam features it was mentioned it was same-platform only.

Made some FAQ updates for more detail and clarity on some features, hopefully that will prevent more questions. Let me know if there is anything else I should include.

• 2 weeks later...
i got a good question?

if i buy me Portal 2 and it brings the PC code? would it activate my Steam Account or would it keep it Beginner acc:

Meaning i cant do anything exept to play

I dont really get that question, but Ill try to answer it.

You can only link one steam account to your psn account (to unlink, contact steam support, it worked for me)

You can only activate a PC code for Portal 2, if the game has been played on the ps3 with the same steam user (you have to logged in from the game on the ps3 at least once)

You cant play Coop with your PSN user AND your steam user (you cant use the same account for coop)

Hi guys, I wanna get Portal 2 to play with a PC-owning friend but don't have a computer good enough to run the free Steam version you get with new copies, so I'm thinking of buying preowned as it's a lot cheaper. Obviously it's almost certain that the original owner will have used the redeemable code that gets Portal 2 as a free PC download.

My question is this though - can you still link a preowned copy of the game to a Steam account in order to play cross-format co-op?

Having read through the FAQ I imagine that you can, because all that I'll be missing is that redeemable code. I assume that the functionality for cross-format play is built into the disc.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Hi guys, I wanna get Portal 2 to play with a PC-owning friend but don't have a computer good enough to run the free Steam version you get with new copies, so I'm thinking of buying preowned as it's a lot cheaper. Obviously it's almost certain that the original owner will have used the redeemable code that gets Portal 2 as a free PC download.

My question is this though - can you still link a preowned copy of the game to a Steam account in order to play cross-format co-op?

Having read through the FAQ I imagine that you can, because all that I'll be missing is that redeemable code. I assume that the functionality for cross-format play is built into the disc.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Yep, you are correct! The PS3 Steam client is built-in the game. You can buy a used copy of Portal 2, and link your PSN ID to your current or to a new Steam account. That way you can play with PC or PSN friends anytime.

It is just you likely won't get an unused Steam redemption code to download a free PC copy.