worth the buy?

Hogger

wel i saw a thread with portal tricks and when i saw it i was quite intrigued with the gameplay. i just watched more gameplay and it looks cool. so i have a few questions

1. how much is this of a shooter? (my gaming site says its a puzzle shooter i could be wrong though)

2. is it worth the buy and why u think that? (i dont like shooters but some shooters i like such as bioshock 2)

3. i sure wanna try it out but in our country renting is forbidden and we need to pay full price so thats why i ask if its worth it.

wel i saw a thread with portal tricks and when i saw it i was quite intrigued with the gameplay. i just watched more gameplay and it looks cool. so i have a few questions

1. how much is this of a shooter? (my gaming site says its a puzzle shooter i could be wrong though)

2. is it worth the buy and why u think that? (i dont like shooters but some shooters i like such as bioshock 2)

3. i sure wanna try it out but in our country renting is forbidden and we need to pay full price so thats why i ask if its worth it.

1) It's only really so much a puzzle shooter is that you make the portals using a portal gun. You don't shoot NPCs... just fire a portal at a wall.

2) Definitely! There's nothing else like it, besides portal 1. It's great fun playing around with the physics. The dialogue during the single player is by far the funniest i've ever heard in a game and you'd have to have your sense of humour removed to not find it funny :p You don't need to have played the first to get the story really, i didn't play the first. There's a co-op mode so you can play with friends. The DLC is free, well the first one is anyway (summer release) and if what i read about them is correct they're likely to release more free DLC in the future. Seriously mate, don't let the word shooter throw you off, it isn't really one and the gameplay is so straight-forward you can literally just pick up and play without any trouble.

3) That sucks! But yeah, with the free DLC and a free download of portal 2 for your pc included it's definitely worth the price overall.

Hope you get it :rolleyes:

Edited by GhettoAgent

1) It's only really so much a puzzle shooter is that you make the portals using a portal gun. You don't shoot NPCs... just fire a portal at a wall.

2) Definitely! There's nothing else like it, besides portal 1. It's great fun playing around with the physics. The dialogue during the single player is by far the funniest i've ever heard in a game and you'd have to have your sense of humour removed to not find it funny :p You don't need to have played the first to get the story really, i didn't play the first. There's a co-op mode so you can play with friends. The DLC is free and Valve (the makers) have a history of releasing endless amounts of free DLC according to a magazine article i just read about them (but don't hold me to that as this is the first game i've got from them lol). Seriously mate, don't let the word shooter throw you off, it isn't really one and the gameplay is so straight-forward you can literally just pick up and play without any trouble.

3) That sucks! But yeah, with the free DLC and a free download of portal 2 for your pc included it's definitely worth the price overall.

Hope you get it :rolleyes:

wel i think i will get it next month. nice to know u can get a free download for ur pc. (my pc sucks but its a nice addition). gameplay looks awesome.

wel i think i will get it next month. nice to know u can get a free download for ur pc. (my pc sucks but its a nice addition). gameplay looks awesome.

Yeah, i didn't know about the free pc download til i looked at the back of the box when i got home lol. Also the pc version has mod tools so there will be user created content which is reported to be available to play on all consoles (but only creatable on pc). So by the looks of things it'd be a bit like LittleBigPlanet in so much as that there'd be infinite levels, in theory. But i obviously can't confirm that myself as PSN is down but it was reported a while back. :dance:

1. its not a shooter. Its first person, but the only thing you shoot are portals not people(or robots or zombies etc...) I guess you could relate it to Mirror's Edge, but only in the sense that its first person and NOT a shooter.

2. I do not remember EVER playing a game that had me smiling and laughing so much through it(and my first system was an Atari 400...yeah I've been playing videogames probably since before you were born). If you're not laughing at the story, you're solving fun and inventive puzzles. It was worth every penny, and I've barely touched the MP since the PSN is down. I've also played it through 3 times already, 1 initial playthrough, 1 for trophy cleanup, and 1 with commentary.

3. What country are you in? thats a little rediculous IMO. Anyway, you won't be dissappointed, fatty fatty no parents. (if you want to get that buy the game!)

Edited by Lordoftheapes79

It's definitely worth it. I hate FPS's and this is one of my favorite games so far ever (though I think I may be only 1/2 to 2/3 done) It's definitely worth the money! The gameplay is so different then any other game, er, besides Portal 1. I might give Portal 1 a spin if I were you, though Portal 2 is definitely better, it's nice to have the back story.

1. its not a shooter. Its first person, but the only thing you shoot are portals not people(or robots or zombies etc...) I guess you could relate it to Mirror's Edge, but only in the sense that its first person and NOT a shooter.

2. I do not remember EVER playing a game that had me smiling and laughing so much through it(and my first system was an Atari 400...yeah I've been playing videogames probably since before you were born). If you're not laughing at the story, you're solving fun and inventive puzzles. It was worth every penny, and I've barely touched the MP since the PSN is down. I've also played it through 3 times already, 1 initial playthrough, 1 for trophy cleanup, and 1 with commentary.

3. What country are you in? thats a little rediculous IMO. Anyway, you won't be dissappointed, fatty fatty no parents. (if you want to get that buy the game!)

i from belguim. i am 23 xd. i can buy it myself. but in belguim their is a rule stores cant rent you games anymore. so that rule is forcing us to buy full price or second hand.

It's definitely worth it. I hate FPS's and this is one of my favorite games so far ever (though I think I may be only 1/2 to 2/3 done) It's definitely worth the money! The gameplay is so different then any other game, er, besides Portal 1. I might give Portal 1 a spin if I were you, though Portal 2 is definitely better, it's nice to have the back story.

i didnt play portal 1. so i can comment on that. but i think i gonna buy this game

Edited by Hogger

They're mostly technical, programming, design, etc. At least the ones i've listened to were. I've only listened to the Chapter 1-2 though. There is also no save so i don't know what happens when you die.

Ah right okay. I'll probably give it a miss then. Not really that bothered by things like that lol. Thanks for the quick reply :D

i from belguim. i am 23 xd. i can buy it myself. but in belguim their is a rule stores cant rent you games anymore. so that rule is forcing us to buy full price or second hand.

that sucks, whats their reasoning behind that?

Ah right okay. I'll probably give it a miss then. Not really that bothered by things like that lol. Thanks for the quick reply :D

Its similar to movie commentary, they tell you why they made certain choices and explain the mechanics behind the game. You go through the levels again but there are commentary nodes that you can interact with, plus they have a few extra areas like the hub from multiplayer. As for the saving, if you die you start the chapter over. There is a chapter select for this though and each chapter unlocks as you complete them in the single player so if you play the commentary you will always be playing levels you've already completed.

i not completely sure because i never thought about it much. but a few weeks i asked the same question to a real life friend whos almost never play his ps3 (he only like world of warcraft at pc). and he said its because there where to many problems with renting. i also did an interview with the boss of my gamestore because some people i know where interested in the store and wanted to know more. i asked alot of questions then and its somewhere publiced (not internet more relax style). if u want i can ask tommorow if i can see that interview again. and then i can copy and paste the reason because renting is forbidden. only thing i remember is gouverment asked if they wanna keep doing renting games. the gamemania (gamemania are more then 30 gamestores across the country and they work together) said they dont want it and then the gouverment maked that rule. other stores couldnt do much about it because gamemania has around 90 procent from the gamestores. they really are not bad because their service and quality is great. (i heard many other countries has not good service). it just sucks we cant rent anymore.

(videos renting is still allowed only games isnt allowed)

Same as in the Netherlands, it was against the law. However, it was tolerated. After complaints from developers, saying they lose tons of money, they put a hold to it. Belgian Entertainment Association (BEA) put a hold to it in Belgium.

TL;DR: Publishers losing money.

Don't know why we're still allowed to rent movies.. o.O

Same as in the Netherlands, it was against the law. However, it was tolerated. After complaints from developers, saying they lose tons of money, they put a hold to it. Belgian Entertainment Association (BEA) put a hold to it in Belgium.

TL;DR: Publishers losing money.

Don't know why we're still allowed to rent movies.. o.O

thanks u explained it better then me. i guess i dont need that interview anymore (to search it i mean)

Depends. If you look at it from a logical standpoint not taking anything in the game for consideration

it's 6-10 hours in singleplayer. Than another 2-5 hours in Co-op.

A total of about 8-15 hours depending on how fast you do it. So it's about an average shooter's length depending on how good you are at puzzles. If you wouldn't mind paying 60$ than for a puzzle go for it.

HOWEVER it's not an average shooter (or a shooter at all; besides the fact that use a portal gun.

What you're really paying for the 60$ is

- A fun experience that invigorates your mind but not to a point that's insane. I can't say anything in Portal 2 is HARD! Some will make you think for a bit or try to find out what to do but it's not hard however it is fun, invigorating, and something new(since last portal).

- The most hilariously awesome game you'll probably play in a while filled with golden witty lines everywhere by GLaDOS, Wheatley, and Cave Johnson...He runs the place.

- And a all around great time; that's all I have to say.

At first glance it doesn't look like it's worth it but if you love the sense of humor chances are you will not stop dying.

I will most likely get this when the price drops, seeing as it is very short and has little to nothing replay value.

That depends on if the created levels can be played on consoles. Then your replay value could be much higher. Plus we're getting DLC as well remember.

I know I'll be playing this game for longer than I initially thought. lol. :)