Co-op by Yourself?

Wheat1328

I'm getting too anxious waiting for PSN to come back up to find someone to play co-op with. I'm thinking of making a run at co-op split screen by myself. Is it doable?

I know it kinda defeats the purpose of co-op, but I'm getting tired of waiting and want to see the story.

...Maybe I'll just wait.... What do you guys think?

1) Theres not so much of a story

2) The purpose of co-op is coopative. By playing with yourself your ruining the fun, its a team sport

3) It is much likely IMPOSSIBLE to do the later puzzle´s (Chapter 2-3) alone (with 2 controllers)

Your maybe able to pull it out on the first 10-13 chambers, but it soon require timing, and 2 players

Thankfully i've already completed co-op via the steam unlock, in before the lockdown.

However i have every intention of completing it on PS3 too, and its far from impossible to do on your own, although i think its far far more fun with a good mate on the other end, either locally or via internet (when available) as theres a lot of mistakes and the other person doing stuff when your trying to do something and it screws you up so you have a moan at them... its just quite funny and having someone to laugh with is far better than on your own.

Im flying through the levels, but having done them on Wed, Thurs & Fri on PC a fair bit of it i remember. The jist of what to do, although because the other person could have done something you didnt see sometimes your missing peices of the puzzle in your head, but it certainly helps having 2 people trying to get their head around a problem.

There havent been many levels ive struggled with too long, and knowing what to do has made it easier to manage using 2 controllers at once, and right now im on Chamber 5, Course 7 (last but one) and i've done everything on my own, and only a couple of times have i struggled with managing 2 characters moving at the same time in a time-sensitive manner. But the fact that i know pretty much what i need to be doing shouldnt be underestimated, trial and error isnt easy using 2 controllers. Thankfully most of the levels you have all the time in the world, so it isnt a problem.

If you've completed the single player (I havent, on either) and really want more then i guess you could start on Co-op, its 100% doable on your own (although Ch5-7 is looking a bit too close to call).

Edit - Done Ch5-7, needed an elastic band to keep one running forward while i did multiple things inbetween. 5-8 is a pain, but doable, and you can make it a little easier for yourself too.

Edited by PaulC2K

I wondered this too. I literally just tried it a few minutes ago and it's near impossible lol. I'm sure someone somewhere will do it but i seriously wouldn't bother. Just wait til PSN comes back online.

Its nothing like impossible, infact i very rarely died (the times i did were largely due to my own mistakes, or placing a portal too close to an existing one and it replacing it), however i know how to do the puzzles. Co-Op is harder, single player you think very 1 dimentionally, 1-2 steps ahead, whereas co-op has double the capability with 2 portals and it expects you to get your head around that too.

Figuring out the puzzle is the hard part, doing it with 2 controllers is more time consuming than it is hard work. Only a few times during the game are there elements which are time-sensitive, requiring both controllers to be in-play.

Having someone to bounce ideas off in voice chat helps heaps, its also tons more fun.

I've left 4 co-op trophies, 3 hugs, Calibration course w/ newbie, no deaths in Ch4, and 3 courses in Chamber 2 under 60sec. I'll do those with a mate on steam and PSN buddies when PSN comes back online.

Screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20670693/25042011245.jpg

Actually, for the most part is it quite possible to do it yourself with 2 controllers.

I got a few trophies that way. Some of the levels like 4-8 will be quite difficult yourself but I don't think there's a single place where it's actually impossible.

It's actually fairly easy to do split screen co-op by yourself. There are only one or two chambers that are hard. I did from the calibration course to course 5 chamber 7 all by myself. And I got every trophy except for the 3 chambers in course 2 in under 60 seconds.

Then a buddy came over and we did the last two chambers in course 5 and the 3 chambers in course 2 under 60 seconds. So all I have left are the calibration with a newbie and the 3 hugs.

It's actually fairly easy to do split screen co-op by yourself. There are only one or two chambers that are hard. I did from the calibration course to course 5 chamber 7 all by myself. And I got every trophy except for the 3 chambers in course 2 in under 60 seconds.

Then a buddy came over and we did the last two chambers in course 5 and the 3 chambers in course 2 under 60 seconds. So all I have left are the calibration with a newbie and the 3 hugs.

So why couldn't you just wait for your buddy to come over and do the co-op together in the first place? Talk about ruining the game for yourself. I just don't get what the rush is. :think: Me and my friend had a blast figuring this out together. It's a shame that people will resort to doing a co-op game like this alone.

Edited by I-Reaped-U

wow you don't have a single friend to play with you on split screen? :eek:

Sure I do, but since I'm not 12, it's a little more difficult working it out schedule wise. Maybe you should realize other people's lives are different from yours.

In regards to my original post, I think I'm just going to wait for PSN to come back up and play with someone online.

I too did coop on my own, and although the last two chambers were a pain, I did manage to get trough both too. I tried to wait, but once I had my hands on all SP trophies, I figured I might as well try while I waited for PSN to be back up...

As for not having any friend to play with / not waiting for one, I actually enjoyed the extra challenge and did it simply BECAUSE I wanted to see if it was possible. I've since gone trough Coop a second time with my G'Friend, and had a blast helping her figure out how to solve the puzzles. Still missing a few trophies, didn't really want to bother push her too much to get trough the few I'm still missing, I'll do those alone too later on (except maybe for Triple Crown, not sure it CAN be done by oneself? and of course Prof.Portal/Friend List...)

this is getting insane.. 1 more week until we can play online co-op again?! i got enough co-op withdrawal symptoms right now, missing 2-3 chambers to complete co-op and then the whole thing crashes.. i tried some puzzles on my own its a good challenge but not nearly as fun as with someone else but not sure if i can hold it another week:chair:

i know its already been said that you can do it yourself and i recommend it since the network is down but it will be really helpful if you have a friend play the 2nd controller or someone you know it does get hard and as they say 2 heads are better than 1

So why couldn't you just wait for your buddy to come over and do the co-op together in the first place? Talk about ruining the game for yourself. I just don't get what the rush is. :think: Me and my friend had a blast figuring this out together. It's a shame that people will resort to doing a co-op game like this alone.

Because I hate co-op, in fact as a general rule I don't like online games or trophies at all (or to be more precise, anything that makes me rely on someone else!). Also it took almost as long to do the last two chambers with my buddy as it did to do the 6 before them by myself. If I could have done it all myself I would have. I didn't ruin jack for myself, the story was still funny, and I didn't have to put up with the frustration of trying to get someone else to do the right thing when I could just do it myself so much easier.

The only reason I had him come over for the last two was cause I don't have 4 hands and the timing was too precise. Still took him 5 tries to get it right even after I told him exactly what to do and when.

I'd just like to add my 2 cents here, since I just finished the Co-Op alone too, since lack of PSN/available friends meant I couldn't do it with someone else.

It's perfectly possible, although there is one chamber near the end that might require an elastic band to make one player run continuously. Other than that, it's all do-able alone.

All I need to do now is do Course 4 without dying and the Speedrun for 3 chambers in Mass and Velocity, plus the two online trophies.

Yea, I ended up split screening with a friend to beat co-op, but I think some courses can be done solo. I actually just got my Still Alive trophy by going through course 4 splitscreening by myself. Timing got rather tricky towards the end, but I managed to get through on my first try lol.

This fills me with hope, since I'm pretty sure I'll end up doing that trophy by myself too. Nice to see that it can be done.

This Comic - perfect example of why to do Co-Op alone. ;)

Haha this is so true. It was like that when i tried to play LBP with my girlfriend. She loved the game but i wanted to get a prize bubble and she kept wanting to run off :p

Yea, I ended up split screening with a friend to beat co-op, but I think some courses can be done solo. I actually just got my Still Alive trophy by going through course 4 splitscreening by myself. Timing got rather tricky towards the end, but I managed to get through on my first try lol.

Skills mate. I tried co-op on my own and my timing is nowhere near good enough for it lol :rolleyes:

Just beat co-op solo.

It's totally doable. The only trophies you need other people for are Professor Portal, Triple Crown, and Friends List with Benefits.

I would've gotten still alive but I screwed up the second to last chamber. Also for the last course with the gels where you need one to run in a loop just use a rubber band.

Would've it been more fun with another person? Yes but all me and all my friends have different work schedules and the PSN is down. So, yeah.

Still a fun experience