XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 04-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
AshtimusPrime
Maximum Clubs Director

Awards Showcase Bronze Road Map Submitter   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   Bronze Submission   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   First PS4 Game Nights   Maximum Clubs Top 5   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Community Gaming Event Gold   Guide Supplement Bronze   Helping Hand   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Default Shall I play the first?

I played Portal 2 for about 2 minutes in a shop and instantly loved it! But I'm wondering, should I play the first one first?

The Orange Box is going for about 15 (not bad for 5 games!), but I've heard so many bad things about its port to PS3. Is it worth getting, even at the low low price?

What are your thoughts on the Orange Box, the first game and its links to the new one?

Thanks.
AshtimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
GhettoAgent

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Speaking as someone who's never played portal 1 and having completed portal 2 you don't need to have played the first one for the story to make sense. Having said that, i love this game so much that i think i'm going to go and pick up the orange box just for portal (as it is fairly cheap). Go for it mate
Old 04-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Yoda91192

Send a message via AIM to Yoda91192 Send a message via Skype™ to Yoda91192

Awards Showcase Bronzer Than Nothing   2,500 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher1985 View Post
I played Portal 2 for about 2 minutes in a shop and instantly loved it! But I'm wondering, should I play the first one first?

The Orange Box is going for about 15 (not bad for 5 games!), but I've heard so many bad things about its port to PS3. Is it worth getting, even at the low low price?

What are your thoughts on the Orange Box, the first game and its links to the new one?

Thanks.
You dont really HAVE to. But it'd be nice, Just wikipedia Portal 1 & read the plot, That should cover everything up.
READ PLEASE: I've officially moved back to Xbox. I'll be getting a PS4 later down the line. My account being banned for no reason at all left a sour taste in my mouth so that helped with my decision. I'll still be active on these forums so no biggy. Happy Hunting!

P.S. If you also have an Xbox, feel free to add me.

Gamertag: Icromatiickzz

Look in the spoiler tag for my Exophase card.
Yoda91192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Slamma

Awards Showcase Jack of All Trades   10,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award   Community Gaming Event Silver   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Bright Idea!   Member of the Month Winner   Bronze Road Map Submitter   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)

I'd recommend you play the first one. Not only do you get the complete experience, but you get Half Life 2 and the 2 Episodes too! BARGAIN!!!

But yeah, you don't need to play the first to enjoy the second... but the first is a lot of fun in itself. Why penalize yourself?
Slamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
kisher8632

Awards Showcase Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Your really cheating yourself for a good game if you dont.

But no you dont have too, but I would recommend it!

Portal 2 Want You Gone (Fan made Music video)
http://youtu.be/uwURYS2_Fgo

Want to have fun in Steelport? Add me, and lets see if we cant find time to meet (Put SR3 in the message, or else it will get ignored)
kisher8632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Cooper

I would recommend NOT just reading the plot of Portal 1 on wikipedia - you really need to play through it yourself to experience it. It wouldn't seem like much of a plot otherwise I don't think.

It's not necessary to have played the first to appreciate the second, but I think everyone should play it anyway, it's a modern classic. You can probably get it alone for quite cheap on Steam, if you have a gaming PC. But then you'd miss out on the Half-lifes, I guess.

The PS3 port of Orange Box isn't bad, it's just not as good as other versions by comparison. It's perfectly functional though, and you won't miss out on the great game design.

TL;DR: play Portal 1, although it probably doesn't matter when.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
Splenge

Although the storyline has probably been ruined for the entire planet by now (it certainly was for me), Portal is a must-have. Amazing writing with hilarious delivery, and the puzzles cover some things that are overlooked in the sequel's puzzle mechanics (so many black panels in Portal 2!), presumably just to stop the formula from getting stale. Try for golds in the Least Steps and Time challenges and you'll find much more challenge in the first title, although you will end up playing the same level 10 times.

Last edited by Splenge; 04-24-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Splenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
theaface

You absolutely should. It's brilliant and brief, and so much of the dialogue and humour in Portal 2 will more meaningful if you put it into context. It's a no-brainer for me.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
Salvation

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Bronze   Community Gaming Event Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

Yeah go for it, the game is genius but I would say Portal 2 is 100x better in so many ways. There are no problems with the port, none that I have experienced. It may clarify a few things plot wise, but I would still get it for the sake of playing it.

Salvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #10
CreativeRhino

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Gold   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   Word of Mouth - Silver   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   2,500 Posts   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)

Im just going to buy it from steam...its only 6 to download it now for mac/pc..im gonna play this before i buy portal 2

2014 Platinum Goal: 26/50 THL 6: 12/25
Maintained Thread(s): EU PSN Store Update Thread | PST Gaming Competitions

@WhatRhinoSaid
Thinking of joining the site? Sign up here

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
CreativeRhino is offline   Reply With Quote