A hidden gem or as bad as reviews suggest?

It kinda feels like Anno getting the 'Civ Revolution' treatment > beeing easier for consoles...

It's a little rough around the edges - for example: crappy textures of the characters, short loadings time when entering a city or battle but nothing major, most of it can be ignored or has a faster ingame method to go around...

I really like it so far (3-4 hours in) even though i suck at it ^^

If you (like me) liked Civ Rev and enjoy Anno games i would recommend it...

After two days of playing (granted, not that much) I give this game a hearty meh.

No challenge on normal moneywise; the ship battles suck, the interface is "special" and some algorithms seem to be broken.

It is basically a dumbed down version from it's predecessors like all games are nowadays.

Still going to platinum it, just wish I hadn't payed 50 Euros for it

Ok, now that I have played it for a week and seen everything that the game has to offer (which isn't much), I will confirm my previous posting.

The game is way too easy (at least for me) and upping the difficulty level makes it even easier to get trophies and even playwise, which should not be. But it is. At least for me.

As said before, some core algorithms, like the teachers for your captains are horribly broken against your favour and even a core mechanic for taking over towns is horribly broken in your favour.

It also got boring really fast. I wanted to take over everything and build up all towns and after the first one I was so bored that I took over 29 others by force just to get it done.

One trophy missing and I have no clue how to get it, because it's another broken thing. 2 people already have it, so it is achieveable, I just don't know how.

But hey, back in march they said what they wanted to patch and they haven't even patched the PC version yet.

Bargain bin game, I regret paying 50 Euros for it as I also said above.

Edit: They patched the PC version once, my bad.

Edited by Lucksi

Ok, now that I have played it for a week and seen everything that the game has to offer (which isn't much), I will confirm my previous posting.

The game is way too easy (at least for me) and upping the difficulty level makes it even easier to get trophies and even playwise, which should not be. But it is. At least for me.

As said before, some core algorithms, like the teachers for your captains are horribly broken against your favour and even a core mechanic for taking over towns is horribly broken in your favour.

It also got boring really fast. I wanted to take over everything and build up all towns and after the first one I was so bored that I took over 29 others by force just to get it done.

One trophy missing and I have no clue how to get it, because it's another broken thing. 2 people already have it, so it is achieveable, I just don't know how.

But hey, back in march they said what they wanted to patch and they haven't even patched the PC version yet.

Bargain bin game, I regret paying 50 Euros for it as I also said above.

Edit: They patched the PC version once, my bad.

Lol i just got this game for full retail as well. I much anticipated this game because i thought it'd be like Sid Meier's Pirates and i loved that game, but if i read all this i might regret it. Just for future references, can you tell me what trophy it is that seems too be glitching out on you? And also, what do you exactly mean by it's getting easier to obtain trophies when you play on a harder difficulty level? Does that mean i better start on the hardest possible difficulty? Thanks in advance!

None of the trophies are glitched so far, two are just hard to get.

With raising the difficulty; that really depends on your playstyle. If you are going for the trophies where you have to take over 30 towns, it is much easier if you customize the difficulty settings ( press triangle on the screen where you set the overal difficulty ) and set the pirate activity to very high.

Pirates will then spawn like mad and if you destroy their hideouts you gain favour with the nations and you can take over towns by hostile means much faster. If I'm not mistaken, I had taken over 30 towns in the time span of 2 ingame years. Also you can take over the pirate ships if you don't sink em. So that also nets you a giant fleet insanely fast.

And set the pricing curve to very short. If the AI overproduces, you can buy wares much cheaper. And you should also be able to bankrupt the AI producers in towns so that they sell you their production sites for cheap. Haven't tested the last bit, but that was the case in the previous games.

The one trophy where I'm trying to think up a reliable strategy for is a doozy though. Don't worry about the d-fend trophy, you most likely wil have to start a new game for that one.

• 3 months later...

i really want to like this game, i really really do, maybe it's just that i suck at it, hugely, but i can't seem to get anywhere.

I do a few missions then suddenly i have no food for my crew, if i buy food, i can't buy any crew, if i buy a 2nd ship then the menus are so misleading and unhelpful i don't know if i have 1 ship, 2 ships, or a whole fleet of ships!

I also imagined this game to be like the excellent Sid Meiers pirates!, sadly it appears i was very much mistaken