Endless survival help

berts08

Fuck me this one is hard, how the fuck can this be done? I got all the way up to 21 flags and got beat, do you have to reach 40 fucking flags? any tips would be great or a video, I have everything unlocked too and use the cob thing for 500 but takes far too long to reload, also i had two on the garden and still got raped.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/1428272_f520.jpg

try using this setup.. it is by far the easiest to use to complete the 40 flags. only thing i changed from this strategy, was i swapped the umbrella leaf plants with the gloom shrooms next to them, this way you protect more plants. if you need any more help, let me know..

Edited by xX_shoemaker_Xx

I'm currently using a similiar setup; I just switched the umbrella, gloom shroom and catapult placement to have a better defense against imps and bungees and replaced the pool catapults to stock up freeze shrooms.

So far it's running like a charm (the build requires zero maintenance for most waves) and I'm at wave 70.

But beware of red eyed Giga Gargantuars - they are a pain to deal with without cobcannons... (and they will probably be the reason why my build will fall sooner or later :()

Edited by sui99

I used the setup you posted and failed during flag 33, argh was so close. Which plants did you replace with cob cannons?

i replaced the 6 double sunflowers, and 2 freeze watermelons in front of them, with the cob cannons..

also, and i apologize that the picture doesn't show this, but put down the dirt spike (or whatever it is called) in front of your plants, then upgrade them to the steel spikes. this makes that gargantuars stop and hit it a few times to get through. makes it easy to bunch them up and hit multiple with each cob cannon.

i don't have a capture card or anything, but i'll do my best to come up with an exact picture of the layout i used. i used 95% of the layout shown above, just a few tweaks here and there.

GameFAQs: Plants vs. Zombies (PS3) Survival Endless Guide by Draco89123

This guide basically covers EVERYTHING you'll ever need to know about endless survival.

If it's too much text for you, scroll to the end to find screenshots of lots of different builds. Just pick one which suits your style and enjoy.

But be warned: With the knowledge from that guide you can easily create a setup which can go on forever...

edit:

just remember that the cattails are used to shoot down the balloon guys when they do appear. once my sun reached 9999, which did not take long, i swapped them all for the cob cannons

This btw. is a very dangerous advice. Most builds will die because of explosions. A single explosion will blow up 2 glooms. If you're not reacting accordingly you may as well lose one or two more. Each gloom costs over 1k sun to replace and you will likely need to use a lot of instants to survive. I have seen my money drop down from 10k to 4k in the blink of an eye during such an incident and with any less than 4 twin sunflowers you will not recover fast enough.

Edited by sui99

in the beginning, it would cost you 75 sun for the fume-shroom, 75 sun for the coffee bean to wake it up, then 150 sun for the gloom-shroom upgrade, totaling 300 sun. now, i do know that as you plant plants, the prices go up, but i don't ever remember it costing me 1000+ sun to replace a gloom-shroom.

like i said before, i put the spike rock in all the empty spaces in my yard, and i never had an issue with anything blowing up my gloom-shrooms, or anything else. and since the gargantuars have to stop and hit the spike rocks a few times before moving on, it grouped them up and made it easy to hit them with the cob cannons.

when i hit 9999 sun, and replaced my double sun with cob cannons, i don't ever remember dropping below 5000 sun. maybe i'll go back and replay it, just to get the play by play..

well, obviously it depends on your setup.

in my current game it's:

25 for sea thingy (i don't know the english name for it)

75 for fume

75 for coffee bean

125 for pumpkin

800 for gloom shroom

Just yesterday I had an incident where a massive wave of exploding zombies approached and I thought "Hm, those guys really shouldn't progress so far. Why are they still alive??" And then it was just "Sproing!!! Sproing!!! Sproing!!!" and one side of my defense was completely gone... :D

You can totally play with two twin sunflowers, it's absolutely doable but I feel much safer on four. It's probably just personal preference.

Man, I tried doing this 3 times today, spent probably around an hour on each run, and I always fell short around the Wave 36-38 mark... It's very frustrating, because this is the last trophy I need for this game. I'm gonna take a break from it for now... I just read up on that GameFAQs link and saw some of the builds people made, but I don't see how they are getting into the 1,000+ waves with them.

Also... maybe it's just my game, but whenever the screen is full of turrets and zombies, it starts lagging horribly, and I can barely see my cursor to repair stuff as I go along. Selecting which Cob Cannon to fire also gets difficult until I can see the X button icon on them, and if I get a bunch of Gargantuars in the top row, they cover up the menu of plants, and often times I can't tell whether or not I have a Cherry Bomb or other crucial plant equipped to save myself, making things even more difficult. Does anyone else have these problems? :confused:

Edited by Tetsaru

It would help if could tell us _how_ you lose your games. Because of explosions? Because of Red Gigas? Because of Zombonis?

Try this setup:

United_Field_A.bmp - ImageHost.org

I recommend that you switch the two twinflowers in the back with the catapults on the pool rows. You'll need two catapults per row for constant snaring and the pool catapults are not worth it.

ALWAYS! bring the following plants:

TWO! freeze shrooms

Coffee bean, fume shroom, gloom shroom, sea thingy (the plant which lets you build on water)

Blover if there are flying zombies (the game warns you if you forget to use them on waves with flying zombies)

Pumpkin

Cherry bomb, Squash, (Jalapeno)

The two front fumes are likely to die frequently but they are cheap and easy to replace. IMMEDIATELY replace them during waves with exploding zombies - in any other wave they aren't even necessary.

Use your cobs in pairs. By which I mean: Shoot one cob at the upper corner and then one at the lower corner. If your cobs are on cooldown use freeze shrooms. Rinse and repeat.

Freeze shrooms can be put in front of your outer row fumes. Those spots are save as long as there aren't any Zombonis.

You can lose your whole f***ing base and still be fine as long as you have your cobs, freeze shrooms and two catapults per row. So, just keep playing calmly even if it seems like your game is going down the drain.

Freeze shrooms are absolutely overpowered, so use them ^^

If you lose your pool glooms to explosions, immediately freeze everything as long as long as possible and replace the glooms as fast as possible. Losing your pool glooms really is the only thing which can potentially kill you.

Hope this helps!

Ps. Yes, the game has several issues during endless survival. Performance sucks and it's impossible to see anything on the front columns. You gotta live with that ^^

edit:

I forgot to mention that you also need to use freeze shroom when bungees appear.

Edited by sui99

Man, I tried doing this 3 times today, spent probably around an hour on each run, and I always fell short around the Wave 36-38 mark... It's very frustrating, because this is the last trophy I need for this game. I'm gonna take a break from it for now... I just read up on that GameFAQs link and saw some of the builds people made, but I don't see how they are getting into the 1,000+ waves with them.

Also... maybe it's just my game, but whenever the screen is full of turrets and zombies, it starts lagging horribly, and I can barely see my cursor to repair stuff as I go along. Selecting which Cob Cannon to fire also gets difficult until I can see the X button icon on them, and if I get a bunch of Gargantuars in the top row, they cover up the menu of plants, and often times I can't tell whether or not I have a Cherry Bomb or other crucial plant equipped to save myself, making things even more difficult. Does anyone else have these problems? :confused:

Yea this all happens to me too. Was just trying to complete 40 waves today, and everything you said happened, horrendous lag, not being able to see the plants menu, not being able to see the cursor, and I also failed on flag 38.

Honestly, I think my major downfall was the lag, it was unplayable at times, and the cursor would lag, and placing where I would want the cob cannons to strike would lag, then selecting plants in the menu would lag. Just lag, lag lag!!! You'd think the PS3 would be able to run a game like this just fine, even if there is loads of stuff happening on screen.

Gonna give it another crack now, but not using the non cob cannon method and see how I get on.

There are some great builds on youtube from the PC version of the game. Using those setups I got to 97 flags on my first real try. The game gets so laggy at that point, it is a tad hard to play. It could have gone on much longer, but the real threat on this stage is the Jack in the box zombes on the 2 inside tracks. If one hits at just the wrong time, or you get 2 in a row... That's all for you. At least in my case it was. Great game though, so glad it came to PS3. Been drooling waiting for it. Be great if some DLC came out for it down the road.

Does anyone know _exactly_ which flag number is shown in the highscore list?

Example:

I have completed 500 flags (the number shown at the bottom screen) and I die during wave 501 (before it says "Massive wave incoming").

Is my score 500 or 501?

I want to finish my game at a nice number (xD), so this is kind of important to know for me. I finally got sick of endless survival. It sucks that it's so easy to go on an infinity loop... :(

Yay, got this trophy today together with 100%

Got it using this setup: United_Field_A.bmp - ImageHost.org

Together with mostly Ice shrooms and spikerocks (keeps the Gargantuars busy)

Thought I wasn't gonna make it. Somewhere in the 30ish wave I lost some mowers and I was constantly out of money.

But I was albe to just nearly keep surviving every flag.

Thanks for all the info. Got this trophy 1st time (with the 10th seed slot).

I finally got through it myself a while back too. I used something similar to this setup:

http://g.imagehost.org/download/0093/Low_Maintenance_2

...except I had the 6 Gloom-Shrooms in front like most of the other setups (no Tallnuts), Pumpkins in front of the top and bottom lane Cob Cannons (I moved the Cob Cannons back a block to make room), Spikerocks in front of those, and for the Umbrella plant things in the back, I moved them forward one block to provide more coverage (basically swapping positions with the Gloom-Shrooms they protect), and didn't put any near the front, probably had Twin Sunflowers there instead.

Having that many Cob Cannons allowed me to repeatedly wipe out groups of zombies at regular intervals, along with using the Jalapeno and Freeze Shrooms in case things got a bit hairy. From there, it was mostly a matter of replacing Pumpkins, Spikerocks, and any turrets that got destroyed. The only things that really got me early on were Pole-Vaulting zombies that would jump over the Pumpkins guarding my Cob Cannons, and occasionally they'd get eaten.

Edited by Tetsaru

I used a setup very similar to what shoemaker posted and made it to rounds 36 and 38 on my first 2 tries got it on the third. You don't need the 2 extra gloom shrooms on the back/inside tracks. I moved the umbrellas up where they are in his picture then put winter mellons in the back collumn. I never used the Ice Shroom's but had 4 spots in my roster loaded with Jalepeno, cherry bomb, squash and imitator cherry bomb to use when the shit hit the fan. Other than that just keep putting down spikeweed (with upgrade). It is a huge pain but do-able with this setup. The cob cannons take to long and when your cursor starts getting laggy you just don't have time for them.