Shame this game had to pull a 'PAIN' in later stages

Castel

I am very much enjoying this game, but it's a shame they had to resort to some completely ridiculous holes for the Wacky Courses. I set out to 100% this game today.... but in retrospect I should have seen this coming after completing the Extreme Courses for Polar Station and Soho. These were already very challenging but manageable with some practice.

Now on to the Wacky Courses... Buccaneers was hard but fun and rewarding to figure out the solutions to completing the course.

Moving on to Soho, which I generally hate even in earlier levels but figures once this is out of the way it should be smooth sailing with enough practice and I never have to play Soho levels again! A bit rough right from the get go...but NOTHING prepares you for hole 4.... are you friggin kidding me?!?!?!?

It just goes more downhill from there with the bullshit, stages where you somehow have to launch ball vertically in the air using the 'Control' and 'Rocket' power ups. Same crap for Polar Station.... Ancient Valley then returns to a do-able challenge but what is up with so many PSN games having such ridiculous difficulty??

Anyway... end of rant, just be prepared to get very frustrated if you are going for 100% on this title. If anybody has figured out how to do the vertical launch thing please share. I have tried to initiate a hop using the 'Control' right before grabbing 'Rocket' but that seems impossible to time, hopping before the 'Rocket' in hopes of landing on it and then using the bounce to fly up hasn't worked out either.

Edited by Castel

I agree, I got extremely annoyed while playing the game. One of the most annoying parts for me is the commentator though. If they want to add a commentator, give him some more freaking lines! Repeats the same thing over and over again. I ended up turning my sound off.

Got to agree, have very much dislike for motion control power up.

I Not to bad at steering ball but usless at ''hoping''

I proper stuck on hole 7 on wacky Buccaneers ( i think )

It is where you got launch ball off ramp and do 180 degree turn in air and land on putting platform right of the tee...i always loose height before getting anywhere near platform.

Didn't expect it to be easy after all Zen produced Zen Pinball which has some truly tough trophies it self.

I agree, I got extremely annoyed while playing the game. One of the most annoying parts for me is the commentator though. If they want to add a commentator, give him some more freaking lines! Repeats the same thing over and over again. I ended up turning my sound off.

In case you didn't figure out, you can also do custom soundtracks from the XMB too. That makes it MUCH nicer. :dance:

That's exactly what I do. I turn everything off completely sound wise in-game and load up a CD off the XMB because even the regular sound effects get annoying after a while. Makes the game more enjoyable, although no less annoying like the OP mentioned... Hell, I'm getting ticked with just the PRO courses. I was -4 going into the last 4 holes and the person above me got 4 hole-in-ones (and I know at least 1 of them was a par 4) on them and won it with a -4 because they had 100 more skill points than I did. I mean, the courses are a pain in the butt enough, but that was just stupid :mad:

• 6 months later...

One of the levels I think you're referring to, is Polar Station Wacky Hole 5. It's one of the ones in which you have to jump straight up, from one circular area, to another above it, via a hole in the center of it. I had a heck of a time. I've been working on it for over an hour, but finally did it (I found a tip on youtube). Here's what to do. First, aim straight at both power-ups, and hit the ball with very little strength .. 1.5 to 2 knotches of power (seriously). Right after you roll over the 'Control' power-up, activate it. Then, just as you're entering the blue circle, just before you roll into the Rocket power-up, shake the controller (to jump), and quickly press X again. It's going to take a bit of luck, and several tries. What needs to happen is, you jump, pick up the Rocket, and activate the Rocket, which boosts you straight up. It doesn't sound possible, but it will happen if you just keep doing that. Once I knew what to do, it only took me about 10 tries. Every time you fail, just pause and choose "Restart Hole". But be careful not to accidentally choose "Restart Course". I just did that, and now I need to go do it alllllll over again! Arrrrghhh!!!!!