So how is it?

Dropeti

I just downloaded the demo / viewer (apparently it's the same thing) and am hoping there is some form of trial mode because I'd really love to give it a test before I lay $10 down on this. I'll edit in anything noteworthy, going to go try it out now.

Edit: Well, their isn't a lot to see or do in the demo / viewer. Not even sure why it's labeled as a demo in the store. There was like, 10 - 15 people "DJing", and it was basically just a visualizer with repetitive beats playing. Would be nice to have like, five or ten minutes of solo DJ play in the demo to get a feel for the mechanics of the game. Here's a video of a person playing the beta, it looks interesting but... looks can be deceiving.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20sFDpWTbsw]PixelJunk 4am: Tenko - Session 2 (The Future of Music Producing?) - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by Kaero

I actually had a lot of fun with it last night! I messed around with it for a solid 30-45 minutes, and had 40+ listeners and 30+ kudos. It's quite a rush when you see the kudos start popping on screen! :cool:

This isn't music production or anything close to it and the music is terrible. They could put real artists on there and it could be great. It's all the same music on repeat. That was the worst thing about it for me. I was wanting to hear some hip hop. Maybe some producers I listen to or haven't heard yet. Instead it was all very dull robotic like music from no one worth mentioning. The visualizer sucked too. There's a lot of great independent artists out there. It's a shame to not see them on here.

Edited by UndergroundHipHopHead

This isn't music production or anything close to it and the music is terrible. They could put real artists on there and it could be great. It's all the same music on repeat. That was the worst thing about it for me. I was wanting to hear some hip hop. Maybe some producers I listen to or haven't heard yet. Instead it was all very dull robotic like music from no one worth mentioning. The visualizer sucked too. There's a lot of great independent artists out there. It's a shame to not see them on here.

I think half the problem right now, is that it only has a single "show" (or whatever they call em) available to start. I'm not sure yet how one goes about unlocking the rest of em, but that may improve the variety of music eventually. I am a fan of some of this atmospheric music that PixelJunk is known for, but I agree that they need to have some variety, otherwise it will get old quick.

Although you can't "perform" anything, I think you can load anything on your hard drive into the 4am visaulizer. So you can listen to whatever you want, but I assume you can't perform them

I think half the problem right now, is that it only has a single "show" (or whatever they call em) available to start. I'm not sure yet how one goes about unlocking the rest of em, but that may improve the variety of music eventually. I am a fan of some of this atmospheric music that PixelJunk is known for, but I agree that they need to have some variety, otherwise it will get old quick.

I asked Dylan Cuthbert on twitter and he said playtime unlocks more events. So I guess the more you play, the more you unlock? I did a 15 minute show last night and didn't unlock anything. It would be rather frustrating if you had to sink hours and hours to get new songs/UI.

I put about 4 hours in so far, unlocked 5 events, somehow 2 at same time. its fun to just jam out to the beat. having a problem unlocking the Dress Code and Sun Light trophies. wore my Green Lantern shirt and got nuthin. did everything except smacking my camera around with my Move and call it Susan.

After listening to some stuff other made, I just bought it. It somehow feels like a very interesting game. :)

As long as you enjoy this kind of music (and it sounds like you do), you'll love it! The software is designed well enough, that it's really not that hard to make something that sounds good. Once you get a handle on it, and the listeners and kudos start rolling in, it's hard to put down!

Last night, i used it a little differently. Instead of putting on a Pandora station, I casually messed around with PJ4am. I'd play with it until I found something I liked, then set the Move down and let it play. When I was ready for a different beat, I'd go mess with it some more.