compared to Zen P'ball?

It is definitelly easier than zen pinball (especially earning the trophies).But you have to remember that williams collection has NO platinum.Overall the gameplay feels more like the real pinbal arcade in comparison with zen where the ball felt more like virtual pinball.If you like pinball you definitelly need to pick this one,I totally loved it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

zen pinball is great, no doubt 'bout that. but zen pinball seems to be targeted to the videogame audience more than the williams colli. the williams colli. the w colli has horrible slowdowns on medieval madness atleast and that's crap but overall the williams colli is more realsitict but most of the tables are sooooooo booooooooring.... gimme a bally colli allready!! :dance:

• 3 months later...

The Williams Collection is vastly superior to Zen Pinball which sucks and makes pinball feel like hard work instead of fun. Lousy instructions, cheap deaths, suspect ball physics (spinning ball). Latest Mars table was better though.

Only problems with the Williams collection are rudimentary online and lazy trophy implementation.

• 4 weeks later...
The Williams Collection is vastly superior to Zen Pinball which sucks and makes pinball feel like hard work instead of fun. Lousy instructions, cheap deaths, suspect ball physics (spinning ball). Latest Mars table was better though.

Only problems with the Williams collection are rudimentary online and lazy trophy implementation.

Why the hate for Zen Pinball? I actually like the game more than I do many real pinball machines... As far as the instructions go, I agree with you. But cheap deaths are a part of all pinball games and I find a spinning ball a lot more fun to play with and way, way more predictable.

The game also never claims to be a simulator, it's a video game. And probably one of the best on psn. Constant updates and new content being added, fantastic graphics and voicings, a very well designed physics engine, ...

Anyway, I finally ordered myself a copy of Willy's collections. Verdict following soon :p

Edited by steviej

I believe all the hate comes from the fact that the ball in Zen behaves very differently from the one in Williams...I don't have this game yet but the difference is very noticeable when watching youtube videos. This 'unrealistic' ball behaviour isn't a big deal for us that didn't play pinball when growing up but no doubt it's a deal breaker for those that did.

I also ordered a copy of Williams Collection, by the way. Can't wait to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...

yea im not sure why all the hate for zen pinball either. ive only played a few pinball games over the years, but zen is the best one ive played by a longshot. the tables are fun, the graphics are actually amazing for a psn title, theres 8 or 9 very different tables and they all vary in difficulty. its a good game to pop in and play for 20 or 30 minutes every day just to unwind. The most ive scored is around 11m, im not that good at it i guess but i still have a lot of fun playing it. I think the ninja gaiden table is pretty awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
It's only retail. So, you need to buy it

So I discovered... just got it the other day from Amazon.

My copy finally arrived and I got to play for a bit. OMG the ball is so slow and bouncy, feels like it's made of rubber. It's nothing like Zen :D

Can't say which one is better yet, but I'm really enjoying Williams. Even the older tables are fun to play.

Same here... I haven't played a real pinball game in a long-ass time, so I don't know how realistic this one is, but the ball seems to move very slow. The tables are fun once you get the hang of it, though.

Also, it's been a little glitchy for me. The plunger will jerk around when I'm trying to pull it back and a few times when I catch a ball and then lower the flipper, the ball drops super fast into the center drain before I can shoot it with the flipper.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have both and I play pinball extensively and I will say that both titles has something to bring to the table. Of course Williams has the best tables the planet has ever seen. That's a given with their decades of hard work. However, I'm leaning towards Zen with this. I simply like the mechanics better here. I love both companies though and I think both of their products are top notch.

I know I'm late with my opinion here! :p

• 2 months later...

I like Zen's games a little more than Farsight's but only by a slim margin. I find them both very enjoyable. One thing I can say for sure is that if you play one of them a lot, then the other will feel all wrong when you start it up. After a little while though it starts to feel normal and when you go back to the other that one feels weird instead. So it has a lot to do with which one you're used to.

There's definitely a huge difference between the ball physics in Zen Pinball and Pinball Hall of Fame. I preferred Zen's a little, or maybe I was just more used to it, but I felt like what I would consider the 'ideal' physics would be somewhere in between the two. Now if you look at their later games (Marvel Pinball for Zen and Pinball Arcade for Farsight) the difference in physics has become smaller. So I think they're both heading in the right direction.

Zen has already addressed their biggest issue, which was the ridiculous spin in the original Zen Pinball. I would still like to see Farsight make the ball a little less bouncy and make the nudging a little more sharp (not to the extent of Zen's nudging but a little better at least). Hopefully they'll keep working to improve Pinball Arcade. I'm looking forward to seeing what the physics in Zen Pinball 2 are like also, I'm expecting them to be pretty good.