reaper

dolce86

The easiest place to do the opening chest and save for The Reaper is Yukiko's Castle. Floor 1 has 4 chests. If it only has 3 go back to the entrance with the Velvet Room and try Floor 1 again. Floor 5 has only two chests every time so open the first for your 21st chest. You'll hear chains dragging. It starts out quiet. The second chest has a chance of being The Reaper.

When you want to leave the 1st floor press Square instead of using a Goho-M. Save the Goho-M for Floor 5. Hope that helps you out. :)

• 4 weeks later...
The easiest place to do the opening chest and save for The Reaper is Yukiko's Castle. Floor 1 has 4 chests. If it only has 3 go back to the entrance with the Velvet Room and try Floor 1 again. Floor 5 has only two chests every time so open the first for your 21st chest. You'll hear chains dragging. It starts out quiet. The second chest has a chance of being The Reaper.

When you want to leave the 1st floor press Square instead of using a Goho-M. Save the Goho-M for Floor 5. Hope that helps you out. :)

So I'm trying to do this...I've opened 20 chests, exited out on floor 5, saved, and went back in. No chains. Am I doing something wrong here?

Maybe I'm doing it completely wrong, but here's the method I've been using...

1. Castle 1F - open 4 chests

2. Exit to entrance

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 four more times for a total of 20 chests opened so far.

4. Book it up to 5F.

5. Use Gohm to get out and save.

6. Back on 5F, open first chest.

I get no chains on the first chest, so I know the second one won't be reaper. I check anyways, and it's not reaper. What am I doing wrong here?

Edit: Ended up just finding the jerk. I abandoned the above strategy and instead went straight to 5F. Open chests, go to previous if nothing. Ended up opening 38 chests before he showed up. I was going to farm him for ultimate gear, but no thanks.

Edited by professorstotch

Can anyone confirm if this takes place on the NG+ only or on both first time and second?

I know the guide states on NG+ but some users are saying it can take place on the first playthough.

Just trying to get as much as I can on the first playthough and I can hear the chains but nothing ever happens after it no matter what I do.

Can anyone confirm if this takes place on the NG+ only or on both first time and second?

I know the guide states on NG+ but some users are saying it can take place on the first playthough.

Just trying to get as much as I can on the first playthough and I can hear the chains but nothing ever happens after it no matter what I do.

I am absolutely certain, Reaper appears in the first playthrough, because I got killed by one during my first playthrough. Didn't know what was inside the chests that says "intensely horrifying presence" because it was my first time ever playing this game, opened it, and got insta-wiped. This happened in Kanji's dungeon while my party was barely level 30.

Edited by doomgun

I also ran into him in Kanji's bathhouse on my 1st playthrough at only lvl 25. I had no idea what the hell he was so I looked him up and then ran like hell from there before he one shot my entire low lvl party. I think it was on 7th or 8th floor. I was opening pretty much every chest on my way up, including golden ones that needed keys.

Note: I had already unlocked Kanji and had re-entered the bathhouse to collect some sidequest items. So that may be a factor.

Thanks for the hints and tips, I tend to try and open all chests unless I run out of keys still have not seen it yet but with 2-3 areas left and a second run to go I think it should come up by then.

EDIT: Just come across it, had its health down to around 100hp no issues, it uses a instant kill move and bang "senpai" dies.... typical

Edited by fisty123
Add-On

• 9 months later...
Every 22nd chest or so the Reaper appears. Open 20 chests, exit out, save your game. Go open two more chests and the Reaper should be there :)

Does he appear only once every game since every 22nd chest would mean you'd be coming across him all the time. I think I found him in first or second dungeon on my playthrough, didn't know what was in that chest and died. I just completed the first playthrough after 91 hours and never saw him again.

How do I spawn him on NG+?

So I'm trying to do this...I've opened 20 chests, exited out on floor 5, saved, and went back in. No chains. Am I doing something wrong here?

Maybe I'm doing it completely wrong, but here's the method I've been using...

1. Castle 1F - open 4 chests

2. Exit to entrance

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 four more times for a total of 20 chests opened so far.

4. Book it up to 5F.

5. Use Gohm to get out and save.

6. Back on 5F, open first chest.

I get no chains on the first chest, so I know the second one won't be reaper. I check anyways, and it's not reaper. What am I doing wrong here?

Edit: Ended up just finding the jerk. I abandoned the above strategy and instead went straight to 5F. Open chests, go to previous if nothing. Ended up opening 38 chests before he showed up. I was going to farm him for ultimate gear, but no thanks.

It's all about number of chests opened. As far as I can tell, he appears (or at least his chains/wind sounds) like clockwork.

I used the above strategy. At first I was a little frustrated with it, but the only thing is that most players won't begin on chest one, so you have to 'reset' him in the middle once you hear the chains. It's a bit of a pain, but it only took me one reload of the Step #5 save to get Reaper.

I was in NG+ (I believe you have to be).

I was in NG+ (I believe you have to be).

Not necessary. You can meet Reaper in every playthrough including the first one =)

It's fun when you are not leveled and you actually meet him =)

That happened to my friend (pretty much like with the others who met him in the first playthrough in Kanji's Bathhouse) while I couldn't get one until I used Yukiko's Castle method.

That's how Atlus luck works =D

@professorstotch: Try to first reach 5F -> Goho-M out -> farm 20 (5x 4 on 1F) chests and then move to 5F.

I would suggest going for the chest where the enemy dot (if you have Risette's skill) is. That signalized Golden Hand and Reaper's chest for me. And to be sure you need to hear his chains to be sure you are on the right track.

Reaper system is very interesting. There are many factors that may reset the counter so it's best to do the Castle method as there are not Golden Chests on the 5F.

Edited by Satoshi

Not necessary. You can meet Reaper in every playthrough including the first one =)

It's fun when you are not leveled and you actually meet him =)

That happened to my friend (pretty much like with the others who met him in the first playthrough in Kanji's Bathhouse) while I couldn't get one until I used Yukiko's Castle method.

That's how Atlus luck works =D

Good to know! I'm definitely glad he didn't pop up before I was ready to fight him. He was frustrating enough to find when using the method. :p

Does he appear only once every game since every 22nd chest would mean you'd be coming across him all the time. I think I found him in first or second dungeon on my playthrough, didn't know what was in that chest and died. I just completed the first playthrough after 91 hours and never saw him again.

How do I spawn him on NG+?

He can spawn as many times as you open 22 chests. The trick is it's not guarenteed, so he MIGHT appear in chest #22, if not the counter resets and you might find him next time. That's why the general method to find him is open 20, leave, save, open the last 2, if not load and try again for the last 2... incidentally, if you open 21 then leave the dungeon that will reset the counter as well.

NG+ works exactly the same.

• 2 weeks later...

CthuluAeon, I did exactly that and got the reaper on my second playthrough - and it was not an easy fight. I wasn't really looking for him on first playthrough and got him only once - he annihilated me then.

Edited by Sethh

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get this at all. I tried the Yukiko Castle method. I loaded the game where I was at the shopping district and went into TV so my chest count should be reset, right? I went to get the 1st floor chests five times but got the chains at chest number 19 and nothing popped out of number 20. Shouldn't I get the chains later and shouldn't the chest I open at the 5th floor then be chest number 21 and not 22 as suggested above?

If I got chains after chest number 20, wouldn't they disappear and the count reset when I leave the floor to get to the 5th floor? And why 5th floor anyway if you can change floors while hearing the chains, shouldn't any floor do?

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I couldnt decide whether i should make a new thread for this info or not.but i finally decided on posting the info here. And i know, im very late to the party ;)

Basically, there is info scattered all over the net regarding the Reaper, and none of it really accurately describes how it spawns, what affects it, resets it etc. If there was such a informative post, i would have likely saved hours messing about with the.Reaper spawning mechanics.

Anyway, i will state here a fail proof guide, but first i want to clear up the myths surrounding the Reaper spawn that i have tested myself.

* After opening 21 chests, you will hear chains, the 22nd chest MAY spawn the Reaper.

* The 22nd must be a red chest that has a chance containing a shadow. If you are lucky and the 22nd chest spawns the Reaper then in any other circumstances, that chest would have spawned a shadow!

* Opening a chest at the exact moment you hear the chains rattling DOES NOT guarantee that the Reaper will spawn from that chest (if it does and to the person who this happened, its just coincidence)!

* Gold chests will not spawn the Reaper because they cannot contain a Shadow. However, Gold chests DO NOT reset the meter as almost all players believe. ( I tested this by opening a Gold Chest as my 21st, after I could hear the chains).

* Nothing resets the meter, leaving TV world, using Goho-M etc, NOTHING. In fact, the only thing that resets the meter is opening 21 chests consecutively,

* Exiting the floor by any means while you can hear the chains resets the meter, and opening the 22nd chest resets the meter, NOTHING ELSE!!

* Engaging enemies DOES NOT affect the meter!

* The Reaper can spawn on any difficulty on any playthrough (I just spawned him on Very Easy in NG, and in my 1st dungeon, I defeated him as level 24)!! Because of this and because he takes so long to kill at this level, he may be good for farming lines for HRF, havent tested yet though.

* Doesnt matter if you have Teddy or Rise with you.

* Players are going wrong with viewing guides because the guides always states 1st 'open 20 chests'! Problem is, you dont know how many chests you have opened already so this doesnt really help other than tell what chest count is needed!

Here is my failproof Guide (it is failproof because it works no matter your chest count and doesnt assume that your count is at 0);

(Make sure you have Goho-M)

1. Enter Yukikos Castle.

2. Speedrun to Floor 5. Do not open any chests, and avoid fights if possible.

3. Use Goho-M to leave dungeon.

4. Return to entrance and save.

5. Re-Enter Yukikos Castle 1st floor.

6. IMPORTANT,.open each chest on this floor, but.each time you open a chest, listen for the Chains rattling before you open another. If you opened a chest and now hear a Chain rattling sound, dont open anymore and proceed to STEP 8. If you opened every chest and dont hear the Chains, proceed to STEP 7.

7. Press square, and return to the entrance. Now Save your game, then re-enter 1st floor and repeat STEP 6.

8. Remember how many chests you opened upon THIS visit to the 1st floor until the Chains began rattling! Did they begin rattling after you opened the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th chest? The chest the Chains began rattling after was your 21st chest!!

9. Re-load your most recent save.

10. Now you know where your chest counter is at, the 21st may be your next chest or the 18th may be your next chest. You need to save the game so that the 21st will be your NEXT chest. This may mean you already have the save you need or you may have to proceed back to 1st floor and open 1 or 2 more to get and then save (Hope thats understandable)!

11. Now with a save where you know the next chest will cause the chains to rattle, proceed to Yukikos Castle and enter at 5th floor (from the menu when you attempt to enter the Castle).

12. They are only 2 red chests on this floor and either can spawn a shadow. Basically open both chests hoping the Reaper spawns. 1st chest here will.cause Chains to rattle, 2nd chest will hopefully spawn the Reaper (which originally would have spawned a Shadow). If not reload your most recent save and repeat STEPS 11/12 until you encounter the Reaper (I believe there is approx a 20% chance of that 22nd chest on that floor spawning the Reaper, so shouldn't take you to many attempts)!

I hope that clears things up.

This game is very old now, however, there is no info with this much detail anywhere on the net that i could find so i felt this needed posting to eliminate the misconceptions regaring the Reaper spawn!!

This was really easy to experiment with and discover (im only 4hrs into the game, i have no experience at all) its a shame the TGA didnt do this before ;(. The guide he posted is not helpful at all

Thanks ;)

Edited by optimusmart

Failproof that took you 9 attempts? =D

Kinda you know... not really fail proof? :D

But the original Yukiko Castle method is definitely the best one how to spawn Reapy.

My intentions are just to inform the community and put the information out there.

Im sorry you dont agree with my post :(

Edited by optimusmart

• 1 month later...
I added slightly more info to the post buddy to hopefully make it clearer ;)

I think that with your experience and the fact that you criticise my guide only on a 'luck' mechanic proofs its

effectiveness!

after hours trying and trying with other "guides", your method totally worked for me ;)

thanks!

• 7 months later...

This strategy worked the best for me. Thank you so much for posting it. Luckily I've been grinding for materials from all the dungeons for quests to read all the book.

So sitting at level 100 for all my characters he was a piece of cake.