XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > General Discussion > Other Platforms > PC & Mac Gaming

Old 12-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Game Controller for Mass Effect?

Today I went out and bought Mass Effect for PC, since I dont own an xbox, and I will be getting Mass Effect 2 for PS3. I really didnt want to jump into the second without playing the first. I was reading through the book it came with and noticed the controls are very complicated. This is the first game I have ever had for my computer so I have no experience playing with a keyboard and mouse.

I was just womdering if it was possible to connect my PS3 controller to my computer to use that, or maybe and xbox controller would do the job (I could borrow one from a friend). I really want to get the best experience out of the game and i think with a keyboard controller, i would be spending more time looking up buttons than playing, so if anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Awards Showcase Staff - Super Moderator   Guide Supplement Silver   Word of Mouth - Gold   Helping Hand   Bronzer Than Nothing   Member of the Month Winner   Jack of All Trades   15,000 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze   Bronze Road Map Submitter   Bronze Submission   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)

You can connect your PS3 controller to your computer, you just need to install a driver first. Search on google for one.

For your Xbox controller:
How to connect your Xbox 360 Wired Controller to a computer running Windows
ShadowAFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

IMO, the best experince on the PC is with a keyboard and mouse. Better control and aiming with the abillity to bind the controls where you want is way better than the PS3 controller.

However, if you prefer a controller, you can buy one made for the comp or from what ive heard...you can somehow use a 360 controller.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have Mass Effect on PC and a Xbox controller for Windows, but I'm not sure Mass Effect on PC supports it - I know it's on 360, but I think the menu layout and stuff is different.

I don't know, I might be wrong, but I've never used my controller with it.
R834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys, I'm gonna try to use my PS Controler but if it doesn't work i'll just use the keyboard, I guess I can adapt.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKennedy View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I'm gonna try to use my PS Controler but if it doesn't work i'll just use the keyboard, I guess I can adapt.
I think the PC controls are pretty good.

The thing is, though, even if Mass Effect supports the Xbox controller, I doubt it will be able to support the PS Controller unless it registers it as a gamepad.

If this is the case, and you still want to use your Playstation controller, there are quite a few really good programs that convert the controller button presses and stick movements into keyboard button presses and mouse movements.

It may take a little while to set up, but if you really want to use your controller, it'll probably be worth it.
R834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

PC's by far are suited to games like ME the best. Like 60 keys or something to map controls to. However, if you are able to get your PC to recognise your PS3 pad then download some software called Xpadder. You can bind keyboard keys to buttons on your controller so the PC thinks that your using the keyboard but your actually using your game pad.

Cheers
Jev Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Awards Showcase Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold  Road Map Submitter   15,000 Posts   Word of Mouth - Bronze   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   LittleBigPlanet Winter Wonderland, Third Place   Helping Hand
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKennedy View Post
or maybe and xbox controller would do the job (I could borrow one from a friend).
If it's wired, go for it. Just plug it in and bam, done. If it's wireless, you'd need an extra accessory to make it work on a PC (
Amazon.com: Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows: Video Games Amazon.com: Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows: Video Games
), and unless you can borrow one of those too, you might as well forget it. Unless you want to buy one, but in that case you should get this:
Amazon.com: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - Black: Electronics Amazon.com: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - Black: Electronics
Controller and receiver for $40, decent deal if you plan to use it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_357 View Post
Like I know he's not hotter than me, no one's hotter than me except .

Last edited by mjc0961; 01-24-2011 at 07:27 PM.
mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote