Game Controller for Mass Effect?

PaulKennedy

Today I went out and bought Mass Effect for PC, since I dont own an xbox, and I will be getting Mass Effect 2 for PS3. I really didnt want to jump into the second without playing the first. I was reading through the book it came with and noticed the controls are very complicated. This is the first game I have ever had for my computer so I have no experience playing with a keyboard and mouse.

I was just womdering if it was possible to connect my PS3 controller to my computer to use that, or maybe and xbox controller would do the job (I could borrow one from a friend). I really want to get the best experience out of the game and i think with a keyboard controller, i would be spending more time looking up buttons than playing, so if anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks

IMO, the best experince on the PC is with a keyboard and mouse. Better control and aiming with the abillity to bind the controls where you want is way better than the PS3 controller.

However, if you prefer a controller, you can buy one made for the comp or from what ive heard...you can somehow use a 360 controller.

I have Mass Effect on PC and a Xbox controller for Windows, but I'm not sure Mass Effect on PC supports it - I know it's on 360, but I think the menu layout and stuff is different.

I don't know, I might be wrong, but I've never used my controller with it.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm gonna try to use my PS Controler but if it doesn't work i'll just use the keyboard, I guess I can adapt.

I think the PC controls are pretty good.

The thing is, though, even if Mass Effect supports the Xbox controller, I doubt it will be able to support the PS Controller unless it registers it as a gamepad.

If this is the case, and you still want to use your Playstation controller, there are quite a few really good programs that convert the controller button presses and stick movements into keyboard button presses and mouse movements.

It may take a little while to set up, but if you really want to use your controller, it'll probably be worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

PC's by far are suited to games like ME the best. Like 60 keys or something to map controls to. However, if you are able to get your PC to recognise your PS3 pad then download some software called Xpadder. You can bind keyboard keys to buttons on your controller so the PC thinks that your using the keyboard but your actually using your game pad.

Cheers

or maybe and xbox controller would do the job (I could borrow one from a friend).
If it's wired, go for it. Just plug it in and bam, done. If it's wireless, you'd need an extra accessory to make it work on a PC ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows-Pc/dp/B000HZFCT2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1295896399&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows: Video Games[/ame]), and unless you can borrow one of those too, you might as well forget it. Unless you want to buy one, but in that case you should get this: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B002TIW7OI/ref=dp_cp_ob_vg_title_2]Amazon.com: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - Black: Electronics[/ame] Controller and receiver for $40, decent deal if you plan to use it a lot. Edited by mjc0961