Paranormal DLC Trophy Guide

Vyrastas

This guide explains how to acquire the trophies on the Paranormal DLC table for ZEN Pinball. For an in-depth description of basic pinball tactics and terminology, please refer to the core game guide by skippycue, found here.

Overview:

-Estimated trophy difficulty: 4/10

-Offline: 4 (1(S), 3(B))

-Online: 0

-Approximate amount of time to core game 100%: 5-10 hours, varies greatly depending on skill

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1

-Missable trophies: Tampering with factory settings or saving and reloading a game disables trophies

-Glitched trophies: None

-Cheats: Tampering with factory settings or saving and reloading a game disables trophies

Like this guide? Then join the forums!

Introduction:

ZEN Pinball is known for brutal trophies, but this table probably features the easiest trophy set of all 10 tables. It does not require you to complete a story mode and players with moderate skills should be able to get all of the trophies within 5-10 hours. When starting for the first time, I suggest you hold down :square: prior to launching the ball and using the Sixaxis to navigate the table and get familiar with the layout.

Table Specifics:

Ramps and Orbits

This table is structured a little differently than other ZEN Pinball tables, as it doesn't have a traditional orbit and has multiple smaller playing fields. There are three ramps and one orbit.

Ramps

The "Mansion" ramp is on the right and can easily be hit from a caught position on the left flipper. This ramp leads to the Haunted Mansion and the multiball cube. The "Nessie" ramp is on the left, and is accessed by using the top right flipper (above the film reel). This ramp leads to the bottom mini-playing field (below the bottom flippers). The "Jersey Devil" ramp is to the far right of the Mansion ramp, which gives you access to the Jersey Devil and the reverse scoop, and leads to the same mini-playing field that the Nessie ramp does (if you hit it hard enough).

Orbit

There is a small orbit that goes under the Mansion ramp, accessed by the top right flipper.

Ball Save, Kickback, Magna Save and Tilt

To be honest, it is very easy to keep the ball in play on this table, and when hunting trophies you won't really need to concentrate on keeping the kickbacks and saves activated. The Kickback is probably the easiest to activate and Magna Save was the only one I used regularly. Losing a ball on an outlane is pretty rare.

Ball Save

The ball save is activated by lighting FEAR in the four lanes (two outlanes, two that lead to the flippers). As usual, you can cycle the lit letters using the flipper buttons.

Kickback

The kickback only exists on the left outlane and can be activated by hitting two drop targets: one in the center of the table (right where the PI on the table is holding the flashlight) and one to the left of the chupacabra drop target / ball. Hitting one will display "Kick" on the dot matrix and the other will display "Kickback." You can hit them in any order; once one is hit the light in front of the other will flash, indicating which you need to hit to activate the kickback.

Magna Save

The magna save is activated by hitting the three Bermuda Triangle holes. Two are in the middle of the table, to the left of the Mansion ramp, and are easily hit by the bottom flippers. A third is to the far left of the main playing field (to the left of the leftmost kickback drop target), and hit easiest from the end of the top right flipper. Once activated, you can use :cross: to pull the ball to the center of the table to save it. If the ball is below the flippers, make sure you lift one so it can get out.

Tilt

The tilt on this table is very sensitive. It will tilt on the third nudge in succession, so make sure you hit some ramps after the second nudge.

Props to Oskari14 for the Ball Save activation tip.

Edited by Vyrastas

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/134/37.jpg Tricking the Devil (B)

Get access to the Jersey Devil's ramp (the reverse scoop) and make a score with it on the Paranormal table!

To access to the reverse scoop, you need to take down the three drop targets in the middle of the Jersey Devil's ramp (which leads to the scoop). The targets look like tombstones. Hit the ramp three times to lower all the targets and get access to the reverse scoop. If you lose your ball, the targets will not reset.

Once all three are down, you'll have 15 seconds to hit the ramp again to ride the scoop (there will be a big flashing square at the entrance of the ramp). The trophy will unlock if you hit it successfully within 15 seconds.

Note: If you don't hit the ramp hard enough, the ball will just fall back down the ramp and it won't count as "making a score" and the trophy will not unlock. It has to be a successful shot into the mini-playing field below the main flippers.

If you fail to hit the ramp within 15 seconds, the three drop targets will rise back up and you'll have to lower them again.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/134/38.jpg Exorcist (B)

Get up to the attic of the Haunted Mansion and banish at least one ghost on the Paranormal table!

This is the toughest trophy on the table. You need to detect at least one ghost in the Haunted Mansion, then get on the balcony and shoot the ball into the attic to banish it.

Getting into the Mansion

First, you need to get access to the Mansion by opening the door (top left corner of the table). You can open the door two ways. One is to hit the targets on either side of the Mansion ramp. Each will light up when you hit it and you'll hear a knock, as well as a super scary voice growling super scary things. Once you hit both, the door will open. The other way to open the door is to actually hit the door with the ball once. Shoot the Mansion ramp and when the ball comes around to the top left flipper, hit it up the stairway and into the closed door. It will open immediately.

Now that it's open (you'll see a green swirl in the doorway), enter the Mansion by shooting the stairway with the top left flipper. As usual, use the Mansion ramp to get to that flipper.

Tip: If you open the door by hitting it with the ball (the second method), you can keep the top left flipper raised after the shot and sometimes it will catch the ball as it comes back down, enabling you to immediately shoot the stairway again.

Navigating the Mansion

Once in the Mansion, you have to first detect at least one ghost by hitting a drop target (there are 9, one behind each lamp in the Mansion). This is very easy and 99% of the time you will detect a ghost through the process of just getting to the balcony, so honestly I wouldn't worry about that and suggest you merely concentrate on getting to the balcony. The Mansion is very tricky and it may take a while to get the hang of the physics there, so keep practicing and don't get discouraged.

When the ball first enters the Mansion, hold the left flipper up to catch the ball. Hit the ball just before the end of the flipper to access the crack in the ceiling. If you do it right, the second ball stuck in the crack will pop up into the second floor. Make sure you hold the right flipper up immediately after shooting the first ball, that way you catch the second ball. From there, hit the ball from the very tip of the right flipper to get to the balcony (using the path with the solid lit arrow). Catch the ball with the balcony flipper. Please note that even though the balcony flipper is on the left of the screen, it's activated as a right flipper – your instinct will be to let go of the right and hold the left to catch it… resist it! Keep the right flipper up after the shot to the balcony to catch the ball. Hit it from the tip of the balcony flipper to get into the attic and activate the exorcising beam. A bright blue beam will shoot into the house and the trophy will pop.

If you drain the ball on the Mansion and have to get back in, it will save the number of ghosts you have detected for subsequent trips. Only if you lose the ball on the table proper does it reset the ghost count.

Here are a couple of basic tips to keep in mind while working on this trophy:

• Don't panic and flail about with the flippers while in the Mansion, you'll just lose the ball. Catch the ball after every shot if possible and let it stop before continuing.
  • After every shot, keep the flipper raised to catch the ball again if you miss your shot. Most of the time the ball comes back to the same flipper you shot with.
  • If the ball falls off the balcony flipper, it will land back by the right flipper on the first floor.
  • On the first floor, to get the ball from the right flipper back to the left, shoot it from the very tip of the right flipper. If you shoot it too early, you'll end up getting caught by the UFO on the right side and tossed out of the Mansion.
  • On the second floor, to get the ball from the left flipper back to the right, shoot it from the very tip of the left flipper.
  • If you drain the ball in the Mansion (either through the floor or via UFO), it will dump out right on the top left flipper of the table. Immediately hit it to reopen the Mansion door and keep the flipper raised – sometimes you can catch the ball as it comes back down, enabling you to reenter the Mansion without falling back to the main table area.

Edited by Vyrastas

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/134/39.jpg Chupacabra Confirmed (B)

Start the Dizzy Hurry-up mode, and make the chupacabra dizzy on the Paranormal table!

The chupacabra is on the left side of the table in an enclosed area. It looks like a dog's face, with two eyeballs that suspiciously look like pinballs.

To get this one going, hit the drop target at the bottom of the chupacabra area. One of the eyeballs will drop out of its socket and fall into the space where the drop target was (the target is between the two kickback drop targets). Hit the eyeball (from the right flipper) to send it up into the chupacabra area, where you want it to land into the empty eye socket. It will fall back if you miss. Keep shooting until it hits the empty socket and locks. If you have trouble locking it, nudging when it's near the socket can help, just be careful not to tilt the table (thanks Oskari14 for the tip).

Once the first ball is locked, the dot matrix will say "Chupacabra Sighting" and the drop target you originally hit will rise back up. Hit it again and the other eyeball will fall. You'll need to lock this one as well using the same method as before.

After the second ball is locked, Dizzy Hurry-Up mode will start. You'll know it's active because the narrator will say "Make the Chupacabra Dizzy." A countdown will start from 4 million points and you'll need to hit the Mansion ramp once before the countdown reaches zero (about 40 seconds). The first time you hit the Mansion ramp in Dizzy Hurry-Up mode, the trophy will unlock. Hit it right away for nearly 4 million points!

If you fail to hit the ramp in time or lose your ball, the drop target will rise again, and you'll have to relock both eyeballs in succession to activate Dizzy Hurry-Up mode again.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/134/40.jpg Paranormal Multiball (S)

Lock at least one ball in the film reel and start a Multiball Phenomenon with the cube on the Paranormal table!

One of the easiest silvers in the entire game. You can start multiball with only one ball locked in the film reel. This guide will only discuss the double ball phenomena (Levitation and Doppelganger) since they are the easiest to start, and won't touch on the triple ball ones.

Lighting the Lock

The film reel is in the lower right of the table, behind the upper right flipper. To lock a ball, you first must light up the lock. You do this by hitting the loop that runs through the film reel. This can be hard to do from a flipper. The easiest way I found was to just hit the Bermuda Triangle holes (which activate Magna Save), as one of the places the ball shoots out from after hitting a hole sends it straight through the film reel loop. You will probably do this without really trying.

An alternative way to light the lock is to do the same thing you will do to start a Multiball Phenomenon (except without a ball locked). Basically, shoot the Mansion ramp and hit the ball from the edge of the top left flipper to gain access to the top of the multiball cube. Once there, you can use the kickers to drop the ball in the cube hole (see the "Starting Multiball" section below for details on this process for the default cube layout). Hitting this hole without a ball locked triggers a "Clairvoyance" award on the dot matrix. You will have only a few seconds to use the flipper buttons to quickly scroll through a few award options. One of them is "Lock is Lit" and if you select it in time the lock will automatically light up.

Whichever method you choose, you'll know when the lock is lit because the Newton's Cradle above the film reel will start, with the clicking of the balls serving as a timer.

Locking a Ball in the Film Reel

With the Cradle active, you'll have about 20 seconds to lock a ball in the reel. There are a number of ways to hit the lock:

• Hit the Bermuda Triangle holes again, much like you did to light the lock – occasionally it will shoot the ball right into the lock.
  • Hit the drop target to the left of the chupacabra ball (one of the targets used to activated the kickback) – the ball will usually bounce right into the lock.
  • Take the Mansion ramp and go to the area above the multiball cube, but don't use a kicker - let the ball roll across and down a chute. It will land right in the lock.
  • Hit it from the very tip of the left flipper (this is somewhat hard).

If the Newton's Cradle stops clicking, your time has run out and you'll need to shoot the ball through the film reel loop again in order to lock a ball.

Once you successfully lock the ball, you get to choose your Multiball Phenomenon.

Starting Multiball

There are four different configurations (phenomena) available on the multiball cube (top center of the table, held by two skeletal claws). There are 4 "lanes" you can enter for each configuration, which guide the ball across its surface in different ways. Whenever you lock a ball into the film reel, you have the option to select a phenomenon on the cube (cycle through them with the flipper buttons and press :cross: to accept) and you can only select ones that correspond to the number of balls you have locked (one or two). It will automatically skip past ones you can't select.

Once you lock your first ball, you can either select "Levitation" (default) or "Doppelganger" (right flipper button once) as the phenomenon. The Levitation layout features a single hole at the bottom of the third cube lane and is the easier of the two to complete. The Doppelganger layout has a ball in the middle of the fourth cube lane and is a little harder to hit. I suggest you choose the Levitation one.

After selecting, you will get a new ball and you'll now need to get to the cube and drop the ball into the cube hole for your selected phenomenon. Hit the Mansion ramp and when the ball is at the very end of the top left flipper, hit it to access the area on the right, which is just above the cube.

In this area there are four kickers that hit the ball into the cube lanes. The first and third kickers are triggered by the left flipper button, the second and fourth by the right flipper button. Here is where you need to hit for each double ball phenomena:

• Levitation: Press the left flipper button when the ball is under the third kicker. The ball should fall directly into the hole.
  • Doppelganger: Press the left flipper button just as the ball gets to the first kicker. If hit right it will curve along the path and hit the hole.

Once you hit the hole on the cube, the trophy will immediately unlock and the phenomenon will begin. You do not have to complete the phenomenon to get the trophy.

Edited by Vyrastas

Hey, I just wanna send a shout-out to all you guys, especially Vyrastas, Oskari, and Hypno. I've been a huge ZP fan since day one and always check these forums for hints and tips. I've always been pretty good, but not top 10 or anything. But you're guides and tips are always amazing and you guys are all really friendly and not stuck-up about being amazing. Thanks a ton. After watching some of these videos, I finally managed to get a decent score on Paranormal ranking me number 25. Thanks a ton guys, and see you online!

Hey, I just wanna send a shout-out to all you guys, especially Vyrastas, Oskari, and Hypno. I've been a huge ZP fan since day one and always check these forums for hints and tips. I've always been pretty good, but not top 10 or anything. But you're guides and tips are always amazing and you guys are all really friendly and not stuck-up about being amazing. Thanks a ton. After watching some of these videos, I finally managed to get a decent score on Paranormal ranking me number 25. Thanks a ton guys, and see you online!

Thanks and welcome to PS3 trophies.org! :) Btw, have you also checked this forum: Zen Studios Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I have a tip: When you have to shoot that chupacabra's eyeball back to it's eyehole, Nudging helps alot!

Added, thanks.

Glad we're able to help you out. :)

Welcome 75thDeadMan, good to see another Zen Pinball fan here.

Nice job on the guide Vyrastas, good stuff. :applause:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok, i figured it put, time warp is lit when you have an extra ball.

This needs to be confirmed, but i may have found another way to raise the multiplyer. I made a jersey devil shot worth of 80k, and shot the spinner and got 560k, and when i looked up i had a 2x multiplier. With the bumpers you have to earn at least 300k with one shot to raise. Maybe a strong enough jersey shot can earn you a multiplyer raise?

• 2 weeks later...