Papo & Yo - Road Map and Trophy Guide

Gekodeko

ROAD MAP

Overview:

-Estimated trophy difficulty: 1/10 (Trophy Difficulty Thread)

-Offline: 10 (2 (G), 1 (S), 7(B))

-Online: 0

-Approximate amount of time to 100%: 4-8 Hours.

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: One full playthrough to unlock hats. Afterwards there is a chapter select.

-Missable trophies: 1 (B) "Don't Need No Hints"

-Glitched trophies: None so far

-Cheats: No cheats

Introduction:

Papo & Yo is a game from the mind of a developer with a story to tell. Growing up with an abusive drug and alcohol dependent father. He often found refuge in playing video games where he felt in control, as opposed to the real world he could not control. The story is about a boy named Quico and his friend who is a monster named, well, Monster. Monster loves and cares for Quico but he has a problem, he is addicted to eating poisonous frogs. These frogs turn him into a demon and cannot control himself, in this form he hurts Quico.

Quico desperately wants to help Monster overcome his addiction, so he sets off to find the Shaman who can cure Monster.

Before you play the game.

Not even deserving of having a step in it's own right, at the main menu simply mash :up:, :down:, :lsup:, :lsdown: or both to spawn chalk frogs. Once you see the frogs stop spawning or the first frog is about to hop off screen, press :cross: (or :circle: if you are in a sub menu) to splat the frogs. If you hit 21 of them, you will earn White Frog Massacre. It may take a bit of practice.

Step 1: Beat the game

Papo & Yo is not a very challenging game. Some of the puzzles will take a little thought but I didn't use any hint boxes my first playthrough, I managed to figure out the whole game with little exploring in less than three hours. If you do use hint boxes (a fine choice as well) you will need to do another full run of the game later. After beating the game once you will earn Lula Power, Calm After The Storm, Good as New, Conclusion and Don't Need No Hints if you did not use any hint boxes in your game.

Step 2: Collecting the hats

Hats can only be collected after completing one or more playthroughs. At the end of the credits, you will see a picture of one of the many sack dolls you may have seen during your first playthrough. A hat will magically appear on its head, and you will now be able to collect hats scattered throughout the worlds. Collecting all 25 will net you the Mad Hatter trophy.

I personally recommend another full playthrough of the game, but you can use Chapter Select to find hats then quit out. If you did not unlock Don't Need No Hints during your first run, then you can play through the game instead of using Chapter select.

Step 3: Clean Up

Now is the time to complete individual trophies or find hats you may have missed. Among some of the easier trophies to miss if you are not going out of your way to achieve them are: The Architect, Playing Tag and Sharp Splatter.

Edited by Terminator
Editorial Sweep.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trophy Guide

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1666/CE3.jpg White Frog Massacre (B)(H)

Splat 21 frogs at once in the main menu.

At the main menu or any sub menu, simply mash :up:, :down:, :lsup:, :lsdown: or both to spawn chalk frogs. Once you see the frogs stop spawning or the first frog is about to hop off screen, press :cross: (or :circle: if you are in a sub menu) to splat the frogs. If you hit 21 of them, you will earn this trophy. It may take a bit of practice and a bit of luck.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1666/F8A.jpgThe Architect (S)

Build and cross the houses bridge with only 3 houses.

Act I - Discovery: Bridging the Gap

To earn this trophy, you must cross the large chasm using only three of the cardboard houses. Moving the cardboard houses will move the larger houses corresponding to where you place the little ones. There will be a chalk outline of five boxes where the game wants you to place all five boxes. Simply rotate the three boxes so that they look like diamonds instead of squares. It will likely take you a bit of adjusting after you've placed the boxes to get it just right but this is not a hard trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1666/460.jpg Lula Power (B)(H)

Double-jump with Lula to cross the first large gap.

Story related and cannot be missed.

Act I - Discovery: Give Me a Boost

[spoiler=LP]A mechanical friend named Lula will join you and attach itself to your back. Double tapping or holding the :cross: button will allow you to double jump. Simply glide over the first gap and this trophy will pop.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1666/EA4.jpg Playing Tag (B)

Run away from Lula for 20 seconds.

At any point after this you are able to press :circle: to throw Lula off of your back. It will attempt to reattach itself on your back. Simply press :circle: and run in circles until this trophy pops. It's possible to do this once Lula joins you but is much easier in the wider areas afterwards if you're having trouble.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1666/342.jpg Sharp Splatter (B)(H)

Splat a frog right on the bullseye.

Act II - Protection: Mmm, Tasty

In this chapter you will see Monster try to eat the Frogs, but he cannot reach them in their pipes. You will find yourself in a pipe with a target drawn in chalk on a wall and three frogs. Press :square: near a frog to pick him up then throw him with the :circle: button close enough so that it splats on the chalk target, then this trophy should pop. If it doesn't then you have two more frogs to try with.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1666/FD4.jpg Calm After the Storm (B) (H)

Give Monster a rotten fruit.

Story Related and cannot be missed.

Act II - Protection: Just One More

[spoiler=CATS]In this chapter Monster will eat his fill of the frogs and turn into a flaming rage-beast who tries to attack you. Solving the puzzle will allow you to reach the Blue Fruit which will cause him to revert back to the regular Monster. After Monster eats the blue fruit and passes out, this trophy will pop.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1666/516.jpg Good as New (B)(H)

Revive Lula.

Story Related and cannot be missed.

Act IV - Anger: Anger Management

[spoiler=GAN]After Lula meets an untimely death at the hands of a frog fuelled Monster, Alejandra tells you that by milking the rage from Monster, you will be able to revive your companion. Complete the chapter Anger Management and you will earn this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1666/3DA.jpg Conclusion (G)

Finish the game.

Story related cannot be missed.

Once you finish the game this trophy will pop.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1666/C25.jpg Don't Need No Hints (B)

Play through the game without reading any hint boxes.

Throughout the game world you will see many boxes with various symbols on the sides of them. Walking up to these and pressing :square: will cause Quico to put the box on his head. Written on the inside of these boxes are various pictographs to help you solve whatever puzzle the game might be putting you through or explanations of in game elements. Simply finish a playthrough, starting with Start New Game until the end. This does not have to be all in one sitting but be warned; I played through from Chapter Select from the first chapter and did not receive this trophy.

I'm currently testing this so it's unsubstantiated right now but I believe that using chapter select AT ALL during a playthrough will nullify the progress on this trophy. If this is true then it will require a whole new playthrough from New Game to the end without using chapter select in between. Continue game is okay but if you use chapter select the next time you try to continue, you will start from the chapter selected point.

Edited by Terminator
Editorial Sweep.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1666/3E8.jpg Mad Hatter (G)

Collect all hats.

Hats can only be collected once you have completed the game at least one time. The Sack Puppets that you may have noticed located around the world now come adorned with funny looking hats and items used as hats.

You can use this video guide, or if you can search out individual hats you may be missing by looking below. The format for numbering is Row-Column so a hat in the third row, fifth column would be labelled 3-5.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_eqVRas9I]Papo & Yo Video Hat Guide by TheDisturbedG1[/ame]

Thanks to TheDisturbedG1 for doing what I don't have the technology to do.

Do note that not all of the hats are in order. The format they are in is the order they appear in in the Hats section of the menu.

1-1 BASEBALL CAP

Act I - Discovery: A Strange New World

The first hat is located right after your second pull lever, the one which opens a wall so you may pass. Make sure to open the wall just enough so that you can fit through, but make sure to leave a little bridge so you can cross from one roof to another. Walk up the stairs and use the wall/bridge to reach the sack doll on the other side.

1-2 SOCCER BALL

Act I - Discovery: A Strange New World

The second hat is located shortly after the one above. Whilst jumping from roof to roof, a house will fall thus opening up a hole in the wall. There should be a few wooden platforms and on the lowest platform is the doll

1-3 FISH

During the house/bridge puzzle, simply fall into the water to earn yourself this hat.

1-4 FISHBOWL

Build a bridge over to the floating white block to your left. On it is your sack puppet.

1-5 BOOT

Act I - Discovery: Rise to the Occasion

When you reach the top of the building in this chapter you will see the girl, Alejandra, sitting down with her back to a wall. Do not approach her or the chalk outline by her feet will swallow you and take you to the next section. On the other side of the building is the next sack doll.

1-6 TIARA

Once you start this chapter, look down and to the right. There should be a building roof with a railing on it. Jump down to it and follow it around the corner to reach the next doll.

1-7 BIRD'S NEST

Act I - Discovery: Along for the Ride

In the section where you are travelling through pipes, when you need to push a chalk gear into the wall. Next to the wooden ramp back into the pipe, there will be a sack doll wearing this crazy hat.

2-1 WIZARD CAP

Act I - Discovery: Forebearing Shadows

When you come to a large area with white puzzle blocks, ignore the blocks and run under a large pipe. Jump around the corner onto a wooden platform then go up a ladder. Follow this path and eventually you will come to a sock doll wearing a blue and grey striped wizard-looking hat.

2-2 JUICE JUG

Act II - Protection: Cozy Digs

When this chapter starts, hug the fence to the left and you will be able to jump on a few low houses. Look down and to the left to see a doll sitting on a roof below. Jump down to collect the juice jug hat.

2-3 SUN HAT

Act II - Protection: Deception

After trapping Monster in chalk squiggles to open a door climb up the chalk ladder but instead of following the chalk line on the wall to the next puzzle, turn around immediately and jump across the gap. Walk on top of the large red pipe and there will be a puppet wearing a tan and black striped sun hat.

2-4 PIRATE BANDANA

Act II - Protection: Mmm, Tasty

Monster will be trying to reach frogs stuck in a pipe. Press a gear in to rotate and seal the pipes. Monster will get bored and go to sleep, allowing you to tummy bounce to the next gear, which will open up the next section, prompting Monster to look for more frogs. This time walk up the stairs next to him, next to the gear that flips a building up is a sack puppet.

2-5 CROWN

Act II - Protection: Bend Them to your Will

This one is a bit hard to explain. While turning house-knobs and building your malleable house-bridge, you will need to assemble seven or so houses. Steer your bridge to the right so that you can climb up to a section with two houses very close to one another. Follow the wooden platforms until you see a long ladder to the ground, when you get to this ladder, look down into the pit, near where a house is you should see a doll wearing a crown, leaning up against a wall.

2-6 MELON

Act II - Protection: Bend Them to your Will

Once you have assembled all the houses to your bridge, pull your lever so the bridge leans towards the white cubes on the right-hand side of the area. Jump to the first floating white cube with a tire on it, then hop to the second, where your melon-wearing sack friend waits.

2-7 COLANDER

Act II - Protection: Protection

As you enter this area, there will be a pull lever on a right-hand side wall that you will need to pull in order to reach a floating key. Pull it to lift a portion of the ground, then take the stairs down to find a lone sack doll wearing kitchenware.

3-1 TIRE

Act II - Protection: White Mountain

You'll need to rotate the closest platform segment in a ring around the central platform in order to reach floating boxes that will lead you to a platform with a key on it. Before you collect this key, look to the left, where there is a broken gate. Through this gate you will see a floating cube with a doll on it.

3-2 TOP HAT

Act III - Friendship: Multiverse

Make your way to the right, down to the pitch. Pull the lever in the middle which will spawn a sewer segment that will spit up three frogs. Walk around to the other side of the sewer area and staring at a red wall will be a dapper doll dressed in a top hat and little else.

3-3 CHEF'S HAT

Act III - Friendship: Relax, Why Don't You

After moving the centipede, which you move Monster around on, to the finish point, stop and hop on Monster's belly. Jumping to the left will reveal an area with a chef's hat puppet, and a ladder to get out. You may also get this during Act IV - Anger: Over the Inferno. When you lower the bridge made of boilers, you can jump on the raised section that has a tunnel for Monster under it and jump down to the right. You can then climb out using the ladder and run back to the area with stairs leading to the boiler bridge and continue.

3-4 PAPER BAG

As soon as this chapter starts, run to the far left corner. There is a lonely looking sack wearing a paper bag.

3-5 POT

Act IV - Anger: Over the Inferno

While running away from Monster, platforms will float down in order to provide you with a path, hop from path to path and one of the platforms will have a sack dummy wearing a plant pot on his head.

3-6 TIN FOIL HAT

Act II - Protection: White Mountain

This hat is located on the closest platform segment, it is on a green planter right above the sign with a frog on it. There are two ways to obtain this hat, first you can simply wait for the platform to spin below you, then try to aim for the planter or you can raise the second segment and line the two up so the stairs on the segment #2 will let you walk up the roof and jump down to the sack doll.

3-7 CRAZY SHOWER CAP?

Act V - Liberation: Euclid is Wrong

When you come across the statue of Monster, look behind him and to the right, in a planter will be a doll wearing some kind of crazy shower cap or beanie.

4-1 PARTY HAT

Act V - Liberation: Growing Up

After feeding Alejandras to Monster, walking down the platform to the end, there will be a floating piece of tin roofing with a puppet wearing a colorful party hat.

4-2 FROG HAT

Act V - Liberation: Growing Up

On the same platform as the centipede carrying Monster, resting under the big tree on the right, will be a dummy wearing a hat that looks suspiciously like Slippy.

4-3 LEGO

Act III - Friendship: A Builder of Bridges

After lining up the three houses, jump across them and walk over the wooden bridge, and sitting on your right will be a Lego-wearing doll. You can also get this in Act IV - Anger: Ally Anew and Act IV - Anger: Over the Inferno.

4-4 COOKING PAN

Once you've revived and been rejoined with Lula, debris and floating cubes will appear for you to leave while safely avoiding Monster. As you ascend the floating path, you will see a house on your left. On top of that house is the Cooking Pan doll. Double jumping from the third floating cube will land you safely next to him.

Edited by Terminator
Editorial Sweep.

Great guide....I'm finishing up sleeping dogs and before I jump into Darksiders 2 I plan on playing this, hopefully all the hats will be located by then

Well it'll definately be done before you finish two openworld games, be sure to tell me how DS2 is. I was thinking of picking it up.

Thank you for your praise by the way. :D

Nice hint details.

Missing 1-4 hat is where the architect trophy is at. You will have to line up the boxes so you can jump onto the left side platform.

Thank you, added. I also got that one from a person on the PSN without a PS3T account. Props to StarvedSanity as well.

Also I'm changing the way I list the hats, as #-# seems to be a more popular format on the general trophy discussion thread.

Edited by Gekodeko

Well it'll definately be done before you finish two openworld games, be sure to tell me how DS2 is. I was thinking of picking it up.

Thank you for your praise by the way. :D

Well I've only played about an hour off it since I like to play one game at a time. But from that I can say if you enjoyed the first one you will defiantly love this one. Even if you hadn't, it's still a great game, and bc it takes place during the first game you won't be missing anything from the first one.

Plus they weren't kidding when they said it was bigger and better

Well I've only played about an hour off it since I like to play one game at a time. But from that I can say if you enjoyed the first one you will defiantly love this one. Even if you hadn't, it's still a great game, and bc it takes place during the first game you won't be missing anything from the first one.

Plus they weren't kidding when they said it was bigger and better

That sounds pretty awesome. I'm neck deep in P4A right now like I've never been in a fighting game, so I'm doing that whole game, and before you know it Ratchet and Clank will be out, then Borderlands 2 and a buncha other games, so I'm not sure when I'll have time.

Is Sleeping Dogs multiplayer?

"A Builder of Bridges" - After moving the 3 houses to build the bridge, cross the small wooden bridge and it's immediately to your right. A Yellow Lego Hat

Thanks, you saved me a whole fourth playthrough, lol. Also thanks to Rising and solo013

Thanks, you saved me a whole fourth playthrough, lol. Also thanks to Rising and solo013

Just to make sure they're in order, I actually got the Lego hat after the Chef's hat. Since it's an area you go back to later (after Anger Management), if you want to put it as being acquired in Lvl 4-3, the description should be "After reviving Lula and jumping across the platforms to get back to the area with the Water Tanks, it will be immediately on your left before crossing the wooden bridge."

But either works, as it's available in both instances.

This is awesome. Thank you for the hat guide. I'm playing through my first time now, so this will come in handy very soon.

It's a great game. Just be careful when pressing Square near tip boxes.

Remember that hats can't be collected til you beat the game once.

Your descriptions/checkpoints are wrong on a couple of them in the 1-7-2-2 range. I know 2-2 is definitely wrong because I have the hat where you say it is but that's not the 2-2 hat.

*edit* Okay, so 2-1 is the Wizard Hat and 2-2 is the Juice Jug. Also, you should say as soon as the fence stops for the first time because if you keep going down, the fence continues on. I actually found it using the other trophy guide's shitty description, but it was actually more precise: Near the beginning, jump on one of the first buildings and jump down to the roof below.

Edited by pacman919

Thanks for the guide!

Few suggestions for the hats:

1-6 TIARA

> The description is wrong, I think. I would describe it like this:

After meeting Lula for the first time, you will have to make a double jump over a gap for the trophy "Lula Power". Instead of jumping just fall down and follow the wall to the right. The next hat is right around the corner.

3-6 TIN FOIL HAT

Could you insert this after 3-1? It's on the same chapter.

2-2 WIZARD CAP & 2-1 JUICE JUG

Both hats are mixed up. Wizard is 2-1 & the jug is 2-2.

Also the Wizard hat is on chapter Act 1: Forebearing Shadows