It's up!

Edit: I'm amused that the only two people on this board are represented by Proto Man and Mega Man.
In that case, C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!

*ahem* Anyway I played the demo for this last week on XBLA. I didn't like it too much. Maybe the full version has better game modes, but in the demo it was just "here is a small line of pellets, follow them to win." Plus the ghosts almost never try strategy, they mostly just chase you. And in the rare occasion you do find a smart ghost, you just bomb it and you're fine. Yawn.

And so to replace the lost tension they just make you move faster and faster the more you play. But it's not really any more tense (at least I didn't think so) because you still just play the same "follow the one trail of pellets to win" puzzles until the time runs out.

Interesting concept, but I'm going to stick with classic Pac-Man.

In that case, C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!

*ahem* Anyway I played the demo for this last week on XBLA. I didn't like it too much. Maybe the full version has better game modes, but in the demo it was just "here is a small line of pellets, follow them to win." Plus the ghosts almost never try strategy, they mostly just chase you. And in the rare occasion you do find a smart ghost, you just bomb it and you're fine. Yawn.

And so to replace the lost tension they just make you move faster and faster the more you play. But it's not really any more tense (at least I didn't think so) because you still just play the same "follow the one trail of pellets to win" puzzles until the time runs out.

Interesting concept, but I'm going to stick with classic Pac-Man.

This game unquestionably downplays the survival element that's emphasized so heavily in the original Pac-Man -- the emphasis is on getting a higher score than your friends.

Personally, I like it... the only improvement that I think could be made here is to allow us to play Championship Edition DX like the original Championship Edition (for X360) was played -- i.e. no bombs, and with the four classic ghosts in hot pursuit as opposed to the conga line of sleepy ghosts. I'd love to see DLC that makes this option a reality (or perhaps just port the original Pac-Man CE over), though, that being said, I think this game is terrific in its own right.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

is it like the old pac man I remember?
Honestly- no. As others have said it doesn't have the same survival element, but I personally find what it does have satisfying in a totally different way. You don't die nearly as much (if ever) but gameplay is timed. While I see what someone else is saying about it being "follow the pellet trail," I think the game quickly moves beyond that as time continues and you experience other maps.

Basically, here's what you get added to the game:

-Bombs, which allow you to escape being cornered.

-Incredibly generous hit-box for Pac-Man, you can overlap with ghosts and not die.

-Tons of extra ghosts, but they mostly just follow you.

-Sparks, which allow you to turn corners faster.

If you want the classic Pac-Man experience, I recommend Namco Museum. It's great.

However, if you really like Pac-Man, I could see this game being good training with many modes.

Edited by Azgard12

• 1 month later...