Fallout: New Vegas Old World Blues Trophy Guide & Road Map

technole

5961842475_0396edabf2_z.jpg 

If you have found this guide, or any other guides that I maintain useful, and are compelled to join this forum as a result, feel free to give me a referral upon signing up!

Overview

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 3/10
  • Breakdown: 5 ( 3 (B) / 1 (S) / 1 (G))
    • Offline: All
    • Online: 0

[*]Approximate time to 100%: 3-4 hours

[*]Minimum playthroughs required: 1

[*]Missable trophies: None (Can free roam the world after completing main story)

[*]Glitched trophies: None

[*]Do cheats disable trophies?: No cheats available

[*]Does difficulty affect trophies?: No

[*]Price of downloadable content: $9.99

Copyright/Rights of Use

All media contained herein are the property of the guide author, technole. This guide may not be re-produced outside of PS3Trophies.org without written permission by the author. Please supply proper credits to the original author(s) if given permission to use any information from this guide.

Introduction

The third downloadable installment for Fallout New Vegas, Old World Blues takes the courier to another world where post-human computer-based researchers enlist his/her help to explore and resolve their experiments that have gone haywire. New locations, robots, and enemies, and of course several weapons await in your journey into the Big Mountain otherwise known as “Big MT”. Your base of operations, the “Think Tank” will likely be your new home in this episode, and maybe even permanently afterwards! The Sink (Balcony of the Think Tank) will also contain a merchant and a 100% repair NPC for all your equipment needs.

Unlike with Honest Hearts, you will not be forced to drop down inventory, as you can bring everything you want here. It is highly recommended to stock up on ammo, weapons of your level specialty, and an assortment of healing supplies. As there are a lot of robotic enemies in this episode, you will also want to be able to utilize many ammo stations scattered through the areas you explore. I would recommend Level 25 or higher would be the ideal level range to start this episode, but the choice is yours.

Roadmap

Step 1: Enter the Big MT and learn about the situation in the Think Tank.

Once you load up your game, the game will pop-up a notice about a new mysterious radio signal at the Mojave Drive-Thru about a new midnight feature. To start the DLC, you will want to visit or wait until midnight and then interact with the satellite at the location to begin your journey. You will not be able to return to the main quest until you complete the episode. So keep this in-mind as will want to stock-up with everything you need as previously mentioned. As you’ll have a new base to work from, you can permanently store items and return to get them anytime in free roam after you complete the episode. Speech, medicine, and full-science skills can very helpful here as you’ll reduce the amount of resistance with several convincing conversation options that will be available.

You will get started by talking to the Think Tank scientists that will inform you of the situation at-hand. In-which you’ll come to find out your brain is missing! Do exhaust the dialog options available with them as they have some valuable items and comedy to share. You’ll come to find out you’ll have to recover the X-2 Antenna, the X-8 Pulse Frequency, and the X-13 Sneaky Suit.

Step 2: Recover the X-2 Antenna

While the X-2 Antenna coil does not have a corresponding trophy, it will be required to advance the episode towards the conclusion. This is located at the X-2 facility in the Southeast. Once you enter the building you will want to make sure you search the desk on the ground floor for the Light Switch 1 Personality Chip. This will be needed for Making Friends, and will save you another trip to this location. You’ll face some resistance against robot enemies but if you came prepared this won’t be an issue. Make your way to the antenna dish via the ladder and go up the ladder-stairs to grab the X-2 Antenna. This is a great melee weapon to use as well!

Step 3: Quest Trophies

Once you have the X-2 Antenna you can now solely focus on quests that unlock the trophies in this DLC. You have several options here as you can work on Making Friends while freely exploring the Big MT, recover the X-13 Sneaky Suit, or the X-8 Pulse Frequency. It is highly suggested you start with the X-13 Sneaky Suit because of its tangible benefits. Plus it is the fastest quest that can be completed early-on. There is no linear order the tasks need to be performed as no trophies are missable. However I would recommend doing the trophies below in the following order for the best experience and to complete the DLC in the least amount of time:

(B)

Cardiac Arrest

(B)

Spinal Tapped

(S)

Making Friends

(B)

Make up your mind

(G)

Outsmarted

Refer to the trophy guide for the steps, and walkthroughs needed to complete quests to unlock all the trophies in this DLC. Have fun in the Big MT!

Edited by Viper
editorial sweep

62.jpg Cardiac Arrest (B)

Recovered X-13 cardiac regulator sneaky suit!

This trophy is tied to the completion of the quest, X-13: Attack of the Infiltrator! This quest completely takes place at the X-13 Research facility. Where you will need to recover the three pieces of the X-13 suit to equip your new Mk Armor. These pieces are all in open locations on the initial floor you enter the building as so you’ll have no problems finding them.

Once you have the three pieces, you will need to head to the basement and use the computer console to start up the Basic Infiltration Test. In this test, you will need to sneak or destroy bots to get the administrators office without being noticed. If you are “caught” you will have to restart the test from the beginning of the basement chamber. With the hostile method, you can simply target and kill the bots without them noticing you first. If you are using the sneak method or having trouble getting by unnoticed, you can also make additional saves during the test if you wish to your advantage. When you reach the administrator’s office you’ll recover the X-13 Document from the safe that will upgrade your suit’s firmware to 1.1 to complete this quest. Once the document is recovered, enemy robot scorpions will be spawned in the building so be prepared with weapons and ammo if you decided to sneak your way past the bots. It is possible to use the bots to your advantage if you used the sneak method.

See my video for this quest walkthrough using the hostility method and where to recover the X-13 Document which will complete the quest and subsequently unlock this trophy:

66.jpg Spinal-Tapped (B)

Recovered X-8 vertabrae-pulse-de-sensitizer frequency!

This trophy is tied to completion of the X-8: High School Horror! quest. In this quest you’ll need to travel to the X-8 Research Center and locate the X-8 Test Terminal to begin the Institution Data Retrieval test. Once the test begins, you will need to make your way and face some resistance on the path to retrieve three student records, each from their own terminals in the facility. After which you’ll be tasked to upgrade your Sonic Emitter weapon in the quest by going to the console activating the upgrade.

This upgrade will allow to shoot down force fields with the gun to allow you enter areas you couldn’t get to earlier. Now you can go or return to the X-13 Research Facility. Upon entering, and immediately to the right, shoot down the force field blocking your path to a store room. Search the suitcase inside for the X-8 Kennel Key.

Next, return to the X-8 Facility and enter the Kennel and displace the resistance to reach the X-8 Kennel terminal to release the “Unusual Specimen” that was listed in your journal log. This will allow you to now initiate the Residential Cyberdog Guard Test at the main X-8 Test Terminal. Once you enter the test, you will need to defeat Gabe. Once this is complete search one of “Gabe’s digging spots” in the rear of the room and it will turn-up “Audio Sample - Gabriel’s Bark” which will complete this quest and subsequently unlock the trophy.

63.jpg Making Friends (S)

Reactivated all of the Sink’s robotic assistants.

This trophy will unlock upon completion of the quest, All of My Friends Have Off Switches. This quest can be thought of as a “collectible” quest. It is purely dependent on locating each of the personality chips and installing them in the Think Tank. These chips will look like holotapes and they will found in several locations around the Big MT. Your quest journal will be divided into several steps towards a set order to retrieve these holotapes. Starting with the Sink, Auto-Doc and the Biological Research Station. Followed by the Light Switches and Jukebox. Then finally the Toaster, Muggy and Book Chute. You can pick them all up anytime regardless of how your quest journal lists them. Refer to the list below for the locations of where you can find all the holotapes:

•  
  • Sink Module Personality Chip
    • You’ll get this upon your first conversation in the Think Tank. This must be installed first before you are able to install the rest of the personality chips.

[*]Sink Project: Sink

• Magnetohydraulics Compound - In a room north of the map

[*]Sink Project: Auto-Doc

• Y-17 Medical Facility - On a back desk in front of a broken console on the ground floor

[*]Sink Project: Biological Research Station

• X-22 Botanical Garden - Near the ground stairwell on a plank near a hotplate

[*]Sink Project: Jukebox

• House #108 in Higg's Village - Upstairs on the bedroom desk

[*]Sink Project: Book Chute

• House #101 in Higg's Village - Upstairs near a terminal in the second room.

[*]Sink Project: Light Switch 01

• X-2 Transmitter Antenna Array - On a desk on the ground floor

[*]Sink Project: Light Switch 02

• Big MT North Tunnel - Near a toolbox inside a store room upon entering the facility.

[*]Sink Project: Muggy

• Securitron De-Construction Plant - Right outside this location there will be a truck and the tape will be on the flatbed.

[*]Sink Project: Toaster

• Cuckoo's Nest - There will be Toaster “shrine” in the rear of this location where the tape will be near some candles.

You can also refer to the video for each holotape location:

Once you have collected each of the chips, return to the Think Tank to install them to complete this quest. Refer to my video for each of the Sink Project personalities you will have to activate to unlock this trophy after installing the initial Sink Module Personality Chip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHRP3iZJ4x0 Making Friends Trophy[/ame] 

64.jpg Make up your Mind (B)

Made up our mind...about your brain

This trophy is obtainable during the Old World Blues quest once you reach the Forbidden Zone. Be prepared, as once you arrive in this location you have to face a mini-boss enemy where you can disable (if you have the skills) or defeat it. After dealing with the situation, you’ll make your way into the lab and will need to talk to Doctor Mobeus in-which you’ll learn in the conversation that it will be up to you to convince your brain to want to return to your possession.

Go up the stairs where you will be able to locate and talk to your brain. It is advised you make a manual save before you talk to your brain. There is a possible bug where if you happen to have completed Come Fly With Me and That Lucky Old Sun from the New Vegas campaign in your quest journal, and you choose one of the compromise options, you could get caught where your brain says "Jason Bright and his followers launching into the vast unknown" and "HELIOS one coming back on-line" in an infinite loop. Your only way out of this would be to reload your game.

The easiest path to this trophy is having a Speech Skill of 75 and a Medicine Skill of 55 which will turn the conversation into your favor rather easily. For the specific dialog choices to choose you can refer to the video:

Edited by Viper
Fixed a wonky link.

65.jpg Outsmarted (G)

Completed Old World Blues

This is the ending trophy for completing the Old World Blues main-story quest and will unlock following the ending cut-scene. The final task you’ll need to complete as part of the quest is to confront Doctor Klein at the Think Tank and end your imprisonment at the Big MT. You will have several choices to resolve the situation. You can end in a battle situation or through speech. You will need a 75 speech skill score and a choice of either a 100 Science or 85 Medicine skill score to avoid a battle.

Alternatively, you can end the situation without hostility and skill checks if you completed each of the other doctors side-quests (What's In A Name?, A Brain’s Best Friend, On The Same Wavelength, and Coming Out of Her Shell). In this case you will need to choose the option to ask Doctor Klein to confer to his colleagues for their opinion for a non-hostile approach to the situation.

For the specific dialog choices using the high skill score options you can refer to my video. Warning: Video contains possible spoiler content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsTPR-Hv-FQ Outsmarted Trophy[/ame] 

Edited by Viper

Yes you can return though I'm not sure if you can bring your companion with you.

EDIT:

Great guide :).

Thanks! :)

A lot of "in-which" in this guide (I feel an online trophy guide doesn't need any of that formal talk and it can be very confusing for non-native speakers), but other than that, pretty good and useful. ;)

I agree with you there is some excessive formal talk after I read everything over again. As I don't always catch myself doing it in my first pass. Rest assured I'm still making edits for easier reading! You always have good feedback around here, so thanks again! :)

Nice job on the guide. Most of the trophies seem pretty straight forward which is always a plus. Other then the problem of not being able to access Honest Hearts, Old World Blues is definitley the best Fallout DLC I've ever experienced. I actually find myself listening to entire conversations more. The humor is fantastic, the environment is really nice (and other then a couple places I haven't really lagged at all), and the weapons are awesome. Here's hoping Lonesome Road is just as great.

Eh...I thought this DLC was 99% straight-forward. The only problem I made was not bringing much stuff in with me. If the Sink CIU weren't broken, the place would be perfect.

I ended up using a 75 speech check [lie] to win, even though I did all the sub-quests, nothing came up and I wasn't able to get Dr. Klein to open up about the intruders.

After I had installed all the modules when prompted, the game counted off by one, there were no other modules in my inventory and no map markers outside the sink just one next to the sink for me to install a final module which I no longer had. I tried reloading numerous back saves to no avail. Now I must restart DLC from beginning. YAY.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Viper changed the title to Fallout: New Vegas Old World Blues Trophy Guide & Road Map