OWB Level Cap is 50!

MrMinderbinder

There appears to be a bit of snafu in releasing Old World Blues. Each successive DLC was supposed to raise the Level Cap by 5. So, after Dead Money and Honest Hearts, the cap was confirmed as having gone from 30 to 35 to 40. Bethesda and Obsidian originally announced that Lonesome Road would be the 3rd DLC, and that Old World Blues would be the 4th. However, late changes reversed that release order. Upon installing Old World Blues today (July 19), I received the expected message that the level cap had been raised by 5 again. Oddly, after a little bit of play, I am now Level 50.

It seems that Old World Blues was originally intended to be the last DLC, and thus, the one to raise the level cap to 50. In switching the release order, programmers forgot to remove this from Old World Blues. Hooray for Level 50, and everything that comes with it!

However, late changes reversed that release order. (...) It seems that Old World Blues was originally intended to be the last DLC, and thus, the one to raise the level cap to 50.

I sincerely doubt it, as Lonesome Road is the DLC that reportedly brings the courier full circle. It seems highly unlikely that this DLC was originally not planned to be the fourth and last one.

If the level cap has indeed been raised to 50 by OWB, then it's far more likely that the developers messed up. We might even see a quick patch if this is all true.

I can confirm the level cap for the Xbox version is 45, as it should be (verifiable through playthroughs on YouTube).

Currently at level 43 myself (nearing the end of the DLC), so I have yet to see if I can go beyond 45 on the PS3... but as the poster above me said, it's probably not a smart thing to do anyway. I wouldn't want to miss out. And getting XP always is a nice little incentive for a new DLC.

The only problem is that you could miss out on any good perks from the last DLC if you level up to 50 and the cap isn't raised further.

That's why I have 3 different playthroughs going now! one will be at lvl 50 and if any awesome perks come out for lonesome road, just load up another playthrough and YEOW! or, better yet, after you get all dlc's, start a new game!

That's why I have 3 different playthroughs going now! one will be at lvl 50 and if any awesome perks come out for lonesome road, just load up another playthrough and YEOW! or, better yet, after you get all dlc's, start a new game!

That's what I'm planning on doing. Once lonesome road comes out, new play through will be started.

The only problem is that you could miss out on any good perks from the last DLC if you level up to 50 and the cap isn't raised further.

I will miss nothing. If you take advantage of the experience glitch in Goodsprings and go for the double perk character, you actually get to pick 25 fresh perks as soon as you leave Goodsprings for the first time. Since I keep a "starter" game at Goodsprings, I'll instantly get to the good perks in Lonesome Road.

• 1 month later...

All of this is moot, now. They've realized their mistake, and the latest update eliminated everything post Level 45 for those with the OWB update.

However, now that Lonesome Road is out, we're legitimately back to Level 50, with all perks intact. However, even at Level 50, New Vegas has chosen NOT to give us the Almost Perfect perk. Curses!