Stray Bead #48 (the kimono and the little girl)

Tokage no Ossan

This bead drives me nuts:mad:! I somehow managed to draw the heart and the star without spending too much time and now I have to draw a simple "V" shape. I have been trying for 1 hour and a half. I read somewhere that someone got it right by only drawing half of it ("/") but it doesn't work for me. I tried with the dualshock only as well (since I am playing with a move controller) but, no, it doesn't work. I don't remember struggling like this on the PS2.

Any tips?

There's a specific brush pattern that you gotta replicate. The one that is heart shaped for example, you have to draw it from the bottom doing from left to right. Also, check where the brush stroke starts and ends.

Once I figured that out, the rest was simple.

Also, the order of the shapes that you have to draw isn't as set in stone as some walkthroughs would have you believe. For me, I never had to draw a V at all.

Go back to the little girl and look at what the symbol is in the "thought bubble" above her head after you talk to her (all other symbols around her are irrelevant). That's what you want to draw.

I finally managed to get praise for the "V" shape and the clover after. The funny thing is that the kimono seller never told me that "something could happen" (written in red letters), meaning that my drawing was not accepted according to some forum. I just went out of the city and came back an hour or so after, talked directly to the girl and got praised:confused:!

Now I am struggling for the kanji 天. I know how to write it IRL but in Okami, it is apparently different.

There's a specific brush pattern that you gotta replicate. The one that is heart shaped for example, you have to draw it from the bottom doing from left to right. Also, check where the brush stroke starts and ends.

Once I figured that out, the rest was simple.

for the v i actually i got it simply by eliminating the curves i was using (i thought it was a bird, hence the curves) and drawing from left to right

for the clover use either 2 figure 8's or 4 circles, this one is lenient mine went lined up properly (my order using o's was: upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right) try to just touch the 2 that went to far over the line

for the kami kanji it is lenient on size and a little lienent on placement but you MUST go in the order and direction demonstrated

think of it like a grid (same with the blockhead) if there is a grid matching the display it will work

Some of the figures took really easily, and I got the "something might happen" message the first time, but sometimes it seemed good but no message, thus, no good. I had no problem at all with the V. My kanji for "ten" was a little too straight the first time, I think, when I made it a little more curved it seemed to work better. I did all of the figures in one run, so I don't think turning off the system helps, except in the sense that often quitting after failing over and over lets you complete the problem right away when you go back.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that you dont need to have the merchant say "something will happen" as you make a picture. I just did the picture and went to her and she acknowledge it still.

I would also say that this is more glitched then the ps2 version because on ps2 I did it in intervals, where as on ps3 i tried that and I got stuck on heart picture where i already passed it. So basically with the merchant I have moved onto next picture but to the girl i was still on the heart picture. I had to get this bead on the ng+ playthrough. I would also advise that you do it all in one go from buying the charcoal to doing all the pictures. Do not leave and do something else then comeback because it seem the game can glitch (as it did for me)

On the PS3 version I got this fairly easily. The heart was the only one I really struggled with (had to try it maybe 15-20 times) but the rest, even the clover and kanji, I got quickly.

I agree that that this bead is very temperamental -- it's difficult to know what versions of the drawing the game will register (certainly none of mine were perfect, especially the star, which was plain awful but still passed).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I did this spread, well I tried untill I got to the heart. I drew it wrong, once I figured I had to copy the girls stroke, not just symbol- I got them all in a row.

so if people are having problem with this-just pay attention to the symbol in the thinkbubble and how they are painted. the ink is faded a little where the stroke ends. some of my designs was pretty crappy, but they did the job.(kinda like my english lol)

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, please help me with that damn heart.

I´ve tried way more than a 100 times by now, hours and hours into this fucking thing, and I just can´t do it.

I do undertando you have to follow a pattern, where to star and where to finish.

I´ve tried to draw it starting in the bottom, doing the whole thing without letting go of the square button, tried drawing it half and then the other half, every fucking thing.

It has to be done starting in the white area of the kimono, in the blue area, it has to be small, big, medium size?????

It has to be done quick, slow???

For God´s sake somebody help me with this, I´ve already broken a dualshock and I´m on the edge doing it again.

Thanks in advance guys, you´re my last hope.

• 4 years later...

for the clover use either 2 figure 8's or 4 circles, this one is lenient mine went lined up properly (my order using o's was: upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right) try to just touch the 2 that went to far over the line

for the kami kanji it is lenient on size and a little lienent on placement but you MUST go in the order and direction demonstrated

my clover looked a lot like a penis with a circle nearby. it worked.