Fire House "Boss"

Figma

Seriously this part is just cheap, theres nothing you can do but hope for luck.. sometimes they kill you in 5sec sometimes i survive util only boss is left but if i hit him i die (i lose 60% of health if i hit boss, if he hits me i lose 40%) :eek: +30 tries on hard and this is just stupid, i didnt find anything else hard but this part.

Not to mention that half of the time camera gets stuck in one of the pillars and then your dead

• Like 1

This part is indeed a bit tricky on hard (had to retry this battle like 6 times). That's how i did it btw. I had to run straight into the larger group in front of me (with the boss in it) and after I hit them, I started to spin. I was able to knock many of the minions out + then I started immedietly (right spelled ?XD?) to run in circles and tried to take out the snipers, as they can kill u in 2 shots. After a few ram-attacks I had killed all minions. Btw, don't try to attack the boss with the ram-attack (worked only at the start of the battle for me) before ur alone with him because mostly he'll be able to attack u before u can reach him. When he's alone, u can heal yourself better (he's not that fast) and simply knock him in the flames again and again ;) But yeah, if u get stuck somewhere, it's mostly an instant-death lol.

What i did to pass it was reloaded my save, where i was still in new yolk and since i already got the "Mo moolah" trophy i bought black market stamina upgrade and brass knuckles. Then i beat it first try ;) i didnt have any usefull upgrades bought durning hole game so i kept running out of stamina at the end.

Well, my suggestion is this: switch to first persion view and hold the R1 button and start to pummel every outlaw. It's the most effective way I did this and it worked like a charm. Knock down Caste Raider, then deal with minions, when he gets back, knock him down again, rinse and repeat.

You're right! Even on hard, that part becomes extremely EASY if you play it in 1rst person and just punch the crap out of those enemies with r1 and l1.

Edited by Ralfonzo

Well, my suggestion is this: switch to first persion view and hold the R1 button and start to pummel every outlaw. It's the most effective way I did this and it worked like a charm. Knock down Caste Raider, then deal with minions, when he gets back, knock him down again, rinse and repeat.

Thank you! That was the first part of the game where I got properly stuck and didn't think I'd get past it. Turn it to first person and do it in 2 tries.

I found that using the R1 charge in random directions worked for me whilst making very regular quick saves throughout the fight. When you are charging there is less chance of the many bullets hitting you, and there are that many enemies if you keep charging you're bound to hit one into the fires at some point.

Remember to do a full save at the start of the fight in case you accidentally quick saved in the middle of a sticky situation (worth doing this with all the bosses)

• 6 months later...

you are a fuc*ing genius! thank you, almost killed the ps3 and tv , but in first person it took about 15 sec on the first try:applause:

• 2 months later...

Every game has to have a worst section, although good design can keep it better than the best of many other games. Poor design, however, will make that section bad by any standard, and it becomes that thing, that break in the flow of a happy experience so jarring it cannot be overcome, and ruins your trust in the game to deliver a consistently fun experience afterward.

The joyless, forced, pointlessly frustrating, never-use-it-again trial of complete horse shit that is the fire house of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is its worst section, and it's bad enough to ruin the rest of the game. I took my time enjoying the bounties, but after 45 minutes of inexplicable, survival-lottery failure at the fire house, once I finally lucked out and got past I was a bitter wreck. Took a long break and came back to the game no less wary, and went from casual happy play to hate-saving after every little bit of progress because I was convinced the game would chuck me in another impossible situation. Everything after was a hurried rush to beat the game and be done. Really a shame.

Edited by arbiekko
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Every game has to have a worst section, although good design can keep it better than the best of many other games. Poor design, however, will make that section bad by any standard, and it becomes that thing, that break in the flow of a happy experience so jarring it cannot be overcome, and ruins your trust in the game to deliver a consistently fun experience afterward.

The joyless, forced, pointlessly frustrating, never-use-it-again trial of complete horse shit that is the fire house of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is its worst section, and it's bad enough to ruin the rest of the game. I took my time enjoying the bounties, but after 45 minutes of inexplicable, survival-lottery failure at the fire house, once I finally lucked out and got past I was a bitter wreck. Took a long break and came back to the game no less wary, and went from casual happy play to hate-saving after every little bit of progress because I was convinced the game would chuck me in another impossible situation. Everything after was a hurried rush to beat the game and be done. Really a shame.

That pretty much sums up my feelings about the boss fight and then moving forward from that to the platinum. Took me nearly 20 minutes to do but was just needlessly frustrating.

And I don't know about anyone else, irregardless of the cheap fight in the burning house, I found that up until that point I was enjoying the game, but after discovering he was a steef, I lost total interest in the game and found the second part a total drag.

• Like 1

I don't like Stranger as a "steef" either, but just because you ended up doing a very hard part this shouldn't prevent you stop playing such a marvelous game. And the game becomes more intense as steef, so I'd suggest you to keep going. The best has yet to come.

Oh I carried on and finished it, 100%, just saying from the point he's revealed as a Steef, I just didn't enjoy it so much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the game lost its shine after moving from the bounties and quasi free roaming of the first half into a straight up shooter in the second half. The locations opened up but after all that careful looting, becoming familiar with territories and feeling like I was in a world bigger than what was on screen it was a sour downgrade to spend the rest of the game on a single mission of "kill everything and don't look back". The redundant upgrading of weapons was also a letdown, although a necessary design choice in case players didn't upgrade before passing the point of no return.

I agree with you, even without the ruddy terrible fire house section, there's a massive rug pulled out from under the player halfway into the game. We all adjust and move on, it's not the end of the world: but it's also a lesson to the player that this game pulls tricks and changes things, so don't get too attached. So for the rest of the game... it's hard to get attached.

Edited by arbiekko

• 10 years later...
On 9/23/2012 at 7:55 AM, arbiekko said:

I could not have said this any better myself. It perfectly sums up my sentiments about the... I was going to say about the game... But my sentiments are towards the people that make them.

I honestly believe that every game company has a few employees who are just so beyond stupid, we probably cannot imagine their level of stupidity. And unfortunately these unfathomable imbeciles must have power (who knows due to more seniority?) within the company, because if they didn't have that power, then horse shit sections like this would not exist.

I wish there are brave game directors who just fire these idiots, but that's not going to happen, because who knows what social justice card the fired moron is going to play against the boss? Are game developers unionized by the way? I have looked into that before, but I probably will soon just out if curiosity.

As I was playing this section, the words that uncontrollably came out of my mouth were: you're telling me that it was people coming together to make this..... to make thiiiiis? People? And I laughed bitterly and hysterical, because it's just so unbelievable that a bunch of people came together to design a section like this. It's like your telling your customers "we don't your business in the future. Ever". It literally is like that! I like difficult. I don't like stupid.

That's fine. Added to my list of boycotted developers. There's no reason for such, you said it well: horse shit!