Would anyone recommend?

I saw that it was pretty cheap on the PS Store, and I was thinking of downloading it, but I'd like to know if any first time players of the series would recommend a purchase? I really don't know a lot about the game, but it looks intriguing enough to warrant a purchase.. :think:

No. I never played these games on the Xbox, but if you're hoping for nostalgia from the PS1 days, think again.

This game isn't atrocious, but it is hardly good. The camera constantly has me wanting to pull out my hair. The trophies are annoying as shit (particularly the wheelchair trophy - why do they put the damn things right next to switches, with the same button trigger?). Further, people said that a patch was necessary, but I didn't see any patches when I started.

The sound effects grate on my nerves. Listening to sligs say "Hey, fartbreath!" over and over again in some weird NY-like accent is particularly grating.

The control is actually OK, though, once you get used to its nuances, which is a big plus. At first, I nearly gave up because Munch is so annoying to control on land.

I'm playing it because it's free. I may never bother finishing it, though. Maybe it was better on Xbox, but it feels like yet another game getting by on nostalgia from a few diehard fans.

Maybe it was better on Xbox, but it feels like yet another game getting by on nostalgia from a few diehard fans.

Guilty, so I can't really say anthing else other than 'buy it!'.

The camera constantly has me wanting to pull out my hair.

Yeah the sound effects can be pretty annoying and some trophies are easily missable, but the camera is no different from more recent games. Look at other 3D platformers from the same era like ICO or Jak and Daxter. Those cameras are terrible because you don't have any control over it, unlike Munch where you have full control over where the camera points.

No. I never played these games on the Xbox, but if you're hoping for nostalgia from the PS1 days, think again.

This game isn't atrocious, but it is hardly good. The camera constantly has me wanting to pull out my hair. The trophies are annoying as shit (particularly the wheelchair trophy - why do they put the damn things right next to switches, with the same button trigger?). Further, people said that a patch was necessary, but I didn't see any patches when I started.

The sound effects grate on my nerves. Listening to sligs say "Hey, fartbreath!" over and over again in some weird NY-like accent is particularly grating.

The control is actually OK, though, once you get used to its nuances, which is a big plus. At first, I nearly gave up because Munch is so annoying to control on land.

I'm playing it because it's free. I may never bother finishing it, though. Maybe it was better on Xbox, but it feels like yet another game getting by on nostalgia from a few diehard fans.

Sums up my thoughts exactly.

After playing through this game twice, suffering from game freezes among other things, it appears I still need two more playthroughs miminum (having beaten it twice already) if I want the platinum. A bad quarma run again because I didn't achieve enough negative karma, and a good quarma run for that stupid "I Regrow Nothing!" trophy.

I quite enjoyed Stranger's Wrath, but I am despising this Oddworld game.

Sums up my thoughts exactly.

After playing through this game twice, suffering from game freezes among other things, it appears I still need two more playthroughs miminum (having beaten it twice already) if I want the platinum. A bad quarma run again because I didn't achieve enough negative karma, and a good quarma run for that stupid "I Regrow Nothing!" trophy.

I quite enjoyed Stranger's Wrath, but I am despising this Oddworld game.

That's disappointing to hear. :(

I too loved Stranger's Wrath, was a great game. I was looking forward to this game but now I'm unsure, and to top it all off, it seems to have a large amount of glitched trophies. No wonder it's an ultra rare platinum.

Having had the original on XBOX, I found this title enjoyable but it had it's flaws. Keep in mind it was a launch title on new hardware at the time, and Oddworld Inhabitants made some enemies making the series XBOX exclusive, so I did enjoy it.

The curse is people seem to be playing Strangers Wrath first, which is far and beyond the superior game, so of course when you go back it's easy to point the finger.

I wound up buying this for the full $9.99 because of the enjoyment I had -- but this version is riddled with bugs and glitches, and "I Regrow Nothing" is up there as being one of the most irritating trophies EVER, and I've played through it 3+ times now and I know I have not regrown any sprooce whatsoever after Raisin Cave -- as per the description.

It's fun to try if you're a plus member, but who the hell knows about the patch because Just Add Water is aware of the problems and has said it will wait for the Vita version, which as I said already in a thread here I believe, it is a case of buyer beware. I think once the patch drops and fixes some of it's nagging issues, it can be a buried gem again.

• 2 weeks later...

No, unless its free, like it is for PSN Plus.

People bitch about the camera controls, but I think the single worst part of this game is jumping. Yep, it should be that simple, jumping, but no. The game has a "running jump" and "standing jump". However, most of the platforms are small and don't allow for a proper "running jump", and when you try to do that, you actually have to wait a second for your guy to rotate and turn around. That makes the timing a chore. Its annoying when you mistime your jump because you bounce off the walls and fall backwards. Lastly, jumping around circular objects is also a pain in the ass due to the picky camera controls. Jeez. Even Mario jumps better then Abe.

The complain department is now closed, and with that being said, I look forward to finishing the game, getting somewhere around 65% trophies, and never playing it again.

Terrible terrible game, it's just not fun, it's a chore.

Making you grab your retarded mudokon companions everytime there is a small jump or ledge to throw them is.... JESUS

And the developers aren't patching %%, more than 2 months already, and this platinum is practically impossible, i refuse to play this crap 3 or 4 times just for I Regrow Nothing.

Im on Resevoir Row on my second playthrough, for bad quarma, SUCH A FUN LEVEL. NOT

Edited by Crynswind

I got this free for plus. But it has me sleeping sometimes, very boring. Plus, sometimes I have to restart the game due to failing in the most unbelivable ways. I'm honestly not going for the Plat on this one, one playthrough is more than enough for me. But if I get bored, maybe another playthrough.

It's not that the game is bad. In my opinion, it just seems boring. You are kind of too weak to fight on your own. You got to think a lot to pass. The farting was funny for the first two tries, then boring.

• 4 years later...

If you like the oddworld games, you should definitely at least try it. I remember when it was released I get angry that this was released only on xbox because I always been a playstation guy, and to be honest I don't have ocassion to play it and I finally completed it on ps3. Well, the game is buggy, especially without the patch it freezes frequently, and it was launch title for xbox and it's got it flaws, bugs, it was released with a rush, but it's ok

I still thinks that abe exodus is the best game from oddworld series, but munch odyssey it's ok, and it's better than stranger wrath(the stranger was ok too but it don't have the feel of an oddworld game)