Raw Material that gave you the most grief

Stork77

What Raw Material gave you the most grief?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What Raw Material gave you the most grief?

• Black Pearl
    • Broken Wristwatch
    • Eagle Eggs
    • Flourite
    • Forlorn Necklace
    • Memory/Titanium Alloy
    • Metal Piercing / Subdued Bracelet
    • Pyrite
    • Other
    • None, I have a horseshoe up my butt.

What material was the hardest to obtain? I'm probably 3/4's (I hope) of the way through this part of the game so I don't have a final conclusion but I've got some leading contenders.

EDIT: I've deliberately excluded everything that can be bought. Money (or at least junk to sell for money) seems plentiful in this game. I didn't have to do any additional grinding for the $1 million trophy.

Edited by Stork77

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dented Metal Bat, surprisingly. There were times when i killed hundreds before anything dropped.

That's no problem in the Underground Laboratory. Otherwise you are right. That was so obviously for me when I saw they are rare and you need 21 of them and because I was not sure about the Laboratory - but I remembered that I got some Dented Metal Bats there so I just tried. In the Laboratory they really are no problem to get. If you would only be able to collect them in the Northern Plains, the Shadowlord's Castle and the vision about the old world of the real Nier it would be hard since you get this item from armored shades but in the Underground Laboratory unarmored small shades drop this rare item and they spawn in a great amount in one room. A blue-gre room which six pillars which is split into two smaller rooms. And in one of that room the shades spawn. You just need to revisit that room over and over again and é voila! You have all of those 21 items!

Broken Wristwatches.

The Bracelet and the Necklace are ~. The Bracelet would be harder if you would need more of them. Pyrites are easier to get if you collect them during the first half of the story, because you just need to walk through the gate directly before the boss room over and over again and take a look at the fissure before the gate which is in on the bridge. But I have collected most of them during the second half when all enemies where gone and the gate was closed so I had to revisit the temple over and over again and even though it was a bit annoying it was not so hard to get them. But you need a lot of them - "a lot" for an item which is not so easy to get - and so it is a bit hard. People are lucky if they have the Download Content. This would be my first advice do get Pyrites. I don't have it. Only my brother with his X Box 360 version.

Stork, if you want to, I will send you a PM with the best methods of getting the hard items. I've written it in german for some people of another forum, but I can translate it easily.

Edited by Cetra

Dented Metal Bat, surprisingly. There were times when i killed hundreds before anything dropped.

That would have been the 11th option. Even in the Underground Lab, they don't see to come often. I thought (hoped?) I was just having a run of terrible luck. On that note, I've had some runs of incredible luck - this games seems to drop in bunches. One time in the Junk Heap I got 5 Machine Oils, 6 Titanium Alloys, 2 Memory Alloys, 2 Large Gear, and 6 Flourites (along with a few Amber/Damascus Steel) all in one run (and that's just the stuff I was looking for)!

Cetra, thanks for the tips but I think I'm good - I've been using ShadowStrife's list and it's excellent. Just Black Pearl, some more alloy, 1 more Eagle Egg, some Pyrite, 2 Rusty Knives, 5 Dented Bats, and 5 Broken Wristwatches left.

Edited by Stork77

That would have been the 11th option. Even in the Underground Lab, they don't see to come often.

Use Hard Mode, Finding Items + xx% and the recommended room. They do come easy that way compared to the other ways of finding it. I just needed one week for the rare items - in fact for most of the things just one weekend since I got the platinum the last weekend so there really are some special things to pay attention which are not mention in the guide - which doesn't mean that the guide is not good, of course.

Edited by Cetra

I killed hundreds in there and only received Medicinal Herbs. I gave up in the end and resorted to the Plains.

It is not enough to pay attention to the sentence about the laboratory. You need to use the whole tip. And killing hundreds of them is no big deal since almost 100 or at least 50 of them spawn in the blue-grey room during one battle. It is way easier than running around in the whole northern plains for just a few armored shades. Of course there are more of them when it is sunny but not even close to as many of the unarmored ones in the Laboratory. With Hard Mode, Finding Items + xx% and the right room you should get at least one Dented Metal Bat during each battle. And even if you were not lucky it is not relevant since the room is very small and you just need to revisit it and do another battle there. It is the amount of shades and the size of the room - and the fact that the load screen is not far away because of that and so you just need to revisit the room to let the shades spawn again - which makes this method so efficient.

The Northern Plains are only good with the maximum amount of armored shades. And that's only during the right weather while the Laboratory has always the same amount of the important shades.

Not to forget the size. "Size matters." Lol.

Edited by Cetra

I don't remember the name of the item, but the one where the guide says to kill the three flying shades in the desert. You only need 3 of them, but it took me 8 hours to get my first one. On the flip side I was extremely lucky with a Rhizodont... lucky as in I caught it on my first cast.

...With Hard Mode, Finding Items + xx% and the right room you should get at least one Dented Metal Bat during each battle....

I used the right room, +30% drop, but Easy. After 10 visits, I had only 1 Dented bat. I got 2 just killing enemies getting to that room, so the drop rates in this game are really flakey.

I used the right room, +30% drop, but Easy. After 10 visits, I had only 1 Dented bat. I got 2 just killing enemies getting to that room, so the drop rates in this game are really flakey.

Since you do not follow the tip exactly - like other people did the last days and they got their items with this method fast and easy - it is obvious why you got only one. Plus it works for all of my save datas fast. Hard Mode does not increase the chance extremely but still good. I only needed about half an hour - if not even less - for the ~ 16 remaining bats with that method. And 10 battles in that room are really nothing. They are finished within a few minutes. Was it even the right room for real? It is directly before the maze.

Edited by Cetra

Since you do not follow the tip exactly - like other people did the last days and they got their items with this method fast and easy - it is obvious why you got only one. Plus it works for all of my save datas fast. Hard Mode does not increase the chance extremely but still good. I only needed about half an hour - if not even less - for the ~ 16 remaining bats with that method. And 10 battles in that room are really nothing. They are finished within a few minutes. Was it even the right room for real? It is directly before the maze.

I heard others on other forums say that Hard didn't make that much difference.

It was the right room - you go down a set of stairs, the hall widens into a room with 3 pillars, then a wall with a door on the right side to another bigger room of same width with pillars throughout it. The shades spawn at various points throughout the room (not all at once).

10 tries may not be much, but given the number killed.... the Stopped Clock dropped far quicker with far fewer kills. But like I said, the drops in this game are flakey. I could probably go back to that room and have a pile of drops. Then the next 10 times nothing.

I heard others on other forums say that Hard didn't make that much difference.

I did not write it makes much difference. I wrote the difference is "good". And it is good. Especially for those items you should use this Mode. My method is so convenient because of the size of the room and of the quantity of enemies. You wrote something about "they don't spawn all at the same spot and not all at the same time" but I never said anything else. And since the room is small and the new wave of enemies spawns fast because you defeat the previous one fast you can clean that room in really no time.

It is the convenience. That's what makes it so good. The Room Size + Amount of Enemies is here perfect for it. Even if you are not so lucky you don't need to mind since this room is cleared easy and fast again and again. For the Northern Plains you have to run through the whole Northern Plains. And that is not funny if you want to do it fast. Well - it can be funny, but it is not even close to being as fast as the other method. And that's what counts for many people - they want to get the items fast. With so many enemies in one room which can be visited over and over again within a few minutes you have an efficient way to get what you want - in this case the Dented Metal Bats. If it would not be convenient I wouldn't recommend it, actually the battle again those shades is even that fast that I wouldn't even mind to use just Easy Mode. The chance is a bit lower to get the items but since the enemies are destroyed so fast - I know I use this word often here but it is fitting - it is not even that bad if you maybe need a few more tries like you do in Easy Mode. A method which is so convenient is worth trying it for at least one hour - if you don't get the required Dented Metal Bats earlier than that.

10 tries may not be much, but given the number killed.... the Stopped Clock dropped far quicker with far fewer kills. But like I said, the drops in this game are flakey. I could probably go back to that room and have a pile of drops. Then the next 10 times nothing.

If you don't believe me I can make 10 different 10 minutes lasting videos. Then you will maybe trust me.

That really is no problem.

Edited by Cetra

woah woah. No need to get defensive - I'm not attacking you or anything.

I mentioned the multiple spawning points within the room as part of the description - no other reason.

It is definitely the most convenient place to fight many of those guys: there are lots of them and one doesn't have to go far to make them respawn. So odds are that room should be the best for dented bat drops. I was just saying I didn't have much luck there (and haven't had time to game since so I haven't had time to retry it) but I also said the drops in this game are really random sometimes.

I've got about 15 dented bats - all but 3 of them came from playing normally. Three from Underground Lab farming (only 1 from that room). 100 people could play the game and come up with different amounts and locations they got their dented bats. I didn't have much time to farm in there so I focused on the Stopped Watches because that farm spot was deeper in and I didn't need many.

Edited by Stork77

Forlorn Necklaces took me the most time of the items to farm,

I farmed Forlorn Necklaces on Hard for 5 hours and I didn't get a single necklace, then next day I change the difficulty from hard to easy and I got 2 necklace in a row (within 5 minutes) So I guess that this is all about random luck:p

For Broken Wristwatchs and Dented Metal Bats I farm them at the same time as I farmed Words at (The Prologue) in Forest of the myth, "The Magical Stone" sidequest)

I farmed Forlorn Necklaces on Hard for 5 hours and I didn't get a single necklace, then next day I change the difficulty from hard to easy and I got 2 necklace in a row (within 5 minutes) So I guess that this is all about random luck:p

No wonder. Forlorn Necklaces are "Normal Rare" but no "Rare" Items.

The Black Pearls were the most annoying for me... I never bothered gathering any of the shiny spots until I had to grind for the items, so spending 4/5 hours continuously going back and forth in Seafront was a right pain.

Yeah, that's what's giving me the most grief right now. Eagle Eggs were the leader, but 15 vs 4....

No wonder. Forlorn Necklaces are "Normal Rare" but no "Rare" Items.

Yeah No wonder mate ;) But a few people think that playing on Hard increases the drop rate, yeah it does but not to much.. U must have the luck with U no matter what.

And yes Forlorn Necklace is one of the rarest drop (item) in the entire game

Yeah No wonder mate ;) But a few people think that playing on Hard increases the drop rate, yeah it does but not to much.. U must have the luck with U no matter what.

And yes Forlorn Necklace is one of the rarest drop (item) in the entire game

>_> If you would read what I have written then you would know, that Hard Mode does increase the drop chance, so please spare me your bold answers by repeating my messages and setting a smiley behind it. About the rare items: The Forlorn Necklace is not a rare item. That's why I wrote it is a normal rare item. It is not one of the orange items which are original rare items but a normal rare item and even though some of the normal rare items are harder to get than the original rare items you are not always lucky with them and it is normal to get the rare Potion from the Shaman shades in hard mode instead of the Forlorn Necklace. Because it is not affected by Hard Mode so it is even harder to get it than normal. Still possible, but harder.

Edited by Cetra

Well, I can finally vote in my own poll.

Eagle Eggs (4hrs) just edged out Forlorn Necklaces (~3.5hrs).

I was having problems with Black Pearl, but that was at the end of a playthrough. When I started a new one it came easily (remaining 11 in 1hr).

Prologue worked wonders for getting Dented Metal Bat and Broken Wristwatch.

Edited by Stork77