Forlorn Necklace Question

T_l_M_B_0

So to get these elusive douchebags is it only from the unarmored magic casting shades randomly in the Northern Plains, or can i get it from the armored magic casting shades on top of the lost shrine?

I have been trying the ones on top of the shrine for a long time by i only seem to get Recovery Potions and various Capsules.

I only remember getting the 2 Forlorn's i had from the ones in Northern Plains, but there arent enough of them there to farm.

So can i even get it from these armored guys?

I got all my necklaces atop of the Lost Shrine as well. I know it sucks they keep dropping Recovery Potions but they'll eventually drop a necklace.

Shitty luck you're having aren't you TIMBO :rofl:.

I know right?? lol

Ended up getting the 2 i needed, i took forever, but i now have upgraded all the weapons completely. All i need now is ending C, D and speedrun :dance:

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not doing well at all with drops :(

Way too many Medicinal Herbs drop

Still need:

Forlorn Necklace

Metal Piercing

Subdued Bracelet

Twisted Ring

:(

Took me around four hours to get the Forlorn Necklaces (all dropped from the same Shaman Shade)

Aerie entrance (the one that fights the boar)

All I need are the Twisted Rings, Broken Wristwatches and a Complex Machine

Edited by FootballPsycho
Merging.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

They weren't that much of a trouble for me than I tought they would be. Much easier than the Subdued Bracelets which were a real pain in the ass. I started collecting the necklaces during my third playthrough - after taking the Lost TempleCerberus (Facade) and the Forest of Myth keys BUT before having the Aerie village destroyed. It seems like the weather to spawn the tall Shaman Shades is more common during this time. I just did some laps over the Northern Plains and within a little less than two hours I got my four (4) Forlorn Necklaces!

EDIT: 22.04.2021 - the conditions actually start to become favourable right after getting The Stone Guardian which is the first of the five key fragments in the Lost Temple. The tall shaman shades will be aplenty during this time.

For me the Northern Plains was much easier to farm. First and foremost it's a flat terrain and all you have to do is sprint back-and-forth between the village and Aerie. You don't have to reload your saves because it's so much quicker to just enter and exit an area - not to mention far less buttons to press on the controller.

The Lost Shrine for me was more hassle than its worth. For starters the Shaman Shades there are armoured and they take more hits to take them down AND of course let's not forget the platforming/parkour especially getting up that big root of a tree - gonna take a couple of tries... then there's the long ladders for the other two areas.  So yeah comparing the two locations it's the Northern Plains for me hands down.

Edited by Naps

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2021 at 4:41 PM, Naps said:

They weren't that much of a trouble for me than I tought they would be. Much easier than the Subdued Bracelets which were a real pain in the ass. I started collecting the necklaces during my third playthrough - after taking the Lost TempleCerberus (Facade) and the Forest of Myth keys BUT before having the Aerie village destroyed. It seems like the weather to spawn the tall Shaman Shades is more common during this time. I just did some laps over the Northern Plains and within a little less than two hours I got my four (4) Forlorn Necklaces!

LOL well they were kinda a piss take playing this now on the Japanese version and these necklaces are about to give me an aneurism! A total of 10 hours grinding on a two-day session and all I got was ONE lousy forlorn necklace! Though this time I started farming them early - right after getting the first key stone at the Lost Shrine. I'm trying to replicate what I did the last time so all I have to do now is get the Cerberus key. Hopefully things would pick-up from there.

I'm also thinking of farming them in the nightmare mini-game through the Forest witch - A Magical Stone quest. The shade horde can change types after every replay so maybe having the shaman shades in there will make them drop the necklaces? I know they do drop at the Shadow Lord castle's ballroom, so why not here as well?

EDIT: (25.05.21)

Finally got the last needed Forlorn Necklace and this indeed took a while, probably added another 5 hours just to land that last one. I really have no clue why I had this much trouble in the JP version compared to the other PS3-EU/PS4 v1.22 playthroughs... a really awful case of RNGesus taking the piss at you. 

----------

Collection spots location (as mentioned in the guide, putting it here in case some are still unaware about this):

Spoiler

✔The steppes you first come across upon leaving the village

✔The immediate area after the small bridge that connects the village (steppes) to Aerie.

✔The area to the right of the small Aerie bridge (near Labyrinth's Shout location, Damaged Map quest)  shaman shade stands on a big boulder.

✔Alpha boar area which leads to Aerie where you usually see the shaman shade spam-attack the boar with its orb magic.

THE BONUS AREAS - they aren't permanent like the other four and only appear randomly from time to time.

✔The shoreline under the platforming - broken viaduct that leads to the Junk Heap, easy to forget that a shaman shade spawns here because sometimes it changes to a bubbled-tall shade (doesn't fire magic orbs but instead contains itself inside a red bubble as it waves its arms from side-to-side as if it dances).

✔Sometimes the game will spawn you an EXTRA shade that roams on the elevated area above/next to the alpha boar's location. You'll see it running towards the boar battle spot to join in the fray. Not sure of this is just an incidental bug but so far I have come acrossed it twice while playing the Japanese version as I haven't encountered this before on NieR Gestalt (PS3) or NieR Replicant ver 1.22 (PS4).

... and of course something we already know, that the weather conditions have got to be cloudy (ovecast skies) for the tall shaman shades to appear.

Edited by Naps
v1.6 shaman shade bonus location