Giants Eggs

Sgt Phantomizer

Thought i'ld post this here in the hopes that it helps any unfortunate soul that bumps into the same, seemingly, impassable obstacle that is collecting 4 Giant Eggs for the trophy that you get for Upgrading all 30 Weapons.

Before i arrived at the point where i had to collect these 4 Giant Eggs, i went through the game once and then through a New Game+, completed 94% of the Side Quests on the first run through the game (i unfortunately got locked out of one or two in Part 1 because i didn't know that after a certain point you could not finish them), Cultivated the White Moonflower (all in real time without the resorting to advancing the system clock) and upgraded about 23 Weapons fully.

How many times did i go through the Father's Village? 50? 75? 100? More?

For the purposes of what i'm about to explain, let's just assume i passed through the village 50 times. Now, i'm the kind of person that searches every nook and cranny for items, collectibles, supplies, etc when playing a game like this, ESPECIALLY on RPGs. But i admit, after recieving some many forsaken Medicinal Herbs i could not carry anymore of, i kinda went like "meh, whatever" and stopped regularly (note how i said regularly, not ALLTOGETHER?) searching the Gathering Points every time.

Let's say that i searched the gathering points throughout the village 40 out of the 50 times i passed through the village. I know with 100% certainty that i passed through the village a lot more times then 50, but let's use this example. 40 times, i did not find a single Giant Egg.

Of the many times i've gone online to look up "Nier Giant Eggs" i've stumbled on the advice of hitting the chickens near the exit leading to Seaport, there are a few reports of people hitting the chickens and then the Giant Eggs magically appearing at some gathering points throughout the village. Most attribute this to coincidence or, perhaps good luck, so with so few accounts i figured this would not be worth pursuing for much more then a single time, a few months ago i swung a sword at the chickens several times, but after the second attempt i gave up and moved along.

Now i resumed my quest to platinum this game a few days ago and i ran through the village a few times searching the gathering points, again, no Giant Eggs. Last night, our of frustration, i vented some of said frustration on the chickens and this time, for the hell of it, i hit them with Dark Hand. I went to Seaport (looking for Black Pearls) and then returned to the village and immediately found a Giant Egg by the tree next to the exit leading to the Plains. I decided that hitting the chickens to get Giant Eggs to come out of the gathering points was worth investigating further, so i went and randomly hit the chickens for a while with the Sword about 3 times, each time going to Seaport and then returning and i did not find a single Giant Egg again during those 3 times. I then went and hit the chickens with a few Dark Hands, finished looting the gathering points and went to Seaport and back again. I found 2 Giants, on two visits, one after another to the village. The 3rd time i did not find a Giant Egg, but on the 4th time i found the 4th and last Giant Egg i needed.

From what i could gather, either hitting the chickens with the sword yields no results, or you have to hit the chickens for a certain amount of damage that doesn't register or is even taken into account from the player's perspective. OR, the trick only works with Magic or the particular spell, Dark Hand.

Is this truely coincidence? I say it is NOT coincidence.

Now you, as the reader can dismiss my ramblings as those of a mad man, or you can try what i did for yourself and see what happens. If you do try it though, please share your experience:)

• 2 weeks later...

That was an interesting read, thank you for sharing that.

I will try this out and see how it goes for me within the next few days and edit my post with my findings.

Based on a spreadsheet that I was keeping I think I need 5 more giant eggs. I am so lazy when it comes to seemingly luck-based grinding due to my own horrible luck

Edit:

I gave it a shot

1st try: success

6th try: success

11th try: success

13th try: success

This was out of 21 attempts

Edited by ZombieBP

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I was about to comment on how I wasnt having an luck with this, however, I wasnt going all the way to Sea Port. First time I went all the way and back I found 2 eggs!! (aslo using Dark Hand on the chickens before leaving)

Could still be just coincidence, but this seems to be working for most people...so worth a try.

Thanks for the tip.

• 1 year later...

No matter how ridiculous it sounds: It works!! I did like 20 runs through the village - not a single Giant Egg. Then I found this thread and started to hit chickens like a maniac with Dark Hand before leaving the city through southern gate, then entered again and... Giant Egg! So attacked the chickens again, went out, came back... Again Giant!! 3rd try didn't work, but during 4th I got my last Giant Egg! End of grind!!!

Thanks!!

Edited by Smashero

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/4/2012 at 7:02 PM, Sgt Phantomizer said:

From what i could gather, either hitting the chickens with the sword yields no results, or you have to hit the chickens for a certain amount of damage that doesn't register or is even taken into account from the player's perspective OR the trick only works with Magic or the particular spell, Dark Hand.

On 4/18/2012 at 8:52 AM, ZombieBP said:

I gave it a shot... 1st try: success... 6th try: success... 11th try: success... 13th try: success.  This was out of 21 attempts

On 8/14/2015 at 5:19 PM, TEZARAK said:

I was about to comment on how I wasnt having an luck with this, however, I wasnt going all the way to Sea Port. First time I went all the way and back I found 2 eggs, while also using Dark Hand on the chickens before leaving... 

This sounds promising. Like the OP I like scouring the area for collectibles when playing RPG/Open World Sandbox games. I wouldn't mind the grind if there is a method/formula to make (rare) stuff appear. I'll have a go at this.

On 2/27/2020 at 12:40 AM, JABing said:

So as someone trying this in 2020, I haven't had any luck yet. Smashed some chickens with Dark Hand, zone in and out, checked all spots. I'm on my 32nd run without a Giant Egg... Sigh....

This is disheartening but I'll still have a go at it. Hopefully I won't be as unlucky. This is why I appreciate Nier: Automata's trophy list much more than this game - we didn't need to upgrade ALL weapons.  This is why I kept this game in the backburner for so long, but because I tremendously enjoyed Automata I'm having a go at it... plus Replicant will be out this month. Hopefully the game is more patterened to Automata than the OG Nier..

On 4/5/2021 at 5:13 PM, Naps said:

This sounds promising. Like the OP I like scouring the area for collectibles when playing RPG/Open World Sandbox games. I wouldn't mind the grind if there is a method/formula to make (rare) stuff appear. I'll have a go at this.

Well I'm gonna go out on a limb with this one and say that this method is just coincidence/luck.

I tried it and it doesn't work for me - doing the Dark Hand method that is. It was absolutely fruitless and I got the eggs by just harvesting them via the normal way. I don't even know how hammering the chickens who actually don't die (I thought they were going to get killed when I first came across this thread) will have an effect on the way the game is coded? It's probably just coincidence and down to luck. I probably went through the village less than 50 times, I'm still fresh from Part Two and I've already found 5 Giant Eggs and probably about 11 chicken eggs... I didn't get any when I did the Dark Hand trick but actually got two giant eggs (just a while ago) by just harvesting/scouring normally. I'm actually more worried about the Eagle eggs coz the trick to abuse the reload system also didn't work for me, it's always gold/silver/copper ore and sometimes the occasional meteorite/moldavite find.

EDIT: Finally got the 6th Giant Egg an hour after this posting and though they are no longer needed I'd still search for them without hitting them to see how many more can I collect until I finish the game. I'm really convinced this is just some RNG issue... some folks are more luckier than others I guess...

... as for the Eagle Eggs I've finally got two of them. Oh happy days!

So as someone trying this in 2020, I haven't had any luck yet. Smashed some chickens with Dark Hand, zone in and out, checked all spots. I'm on my 32nd run without a Giant Egg... sigh....

I feel for you man... same here, unlucky streak I guess when doing the Dark Hand... BUT got lucky just doing things normally as I pass through the village. I got my last two eggs under a tree near the house and a spot by the lake in one swoop, one more egg to go for me. So yeah this is some NRG BS going on.

I've also got a feeling that the game doesn't give these eggs early in the game? Some quests might actually be a trigger for it or the time already spent on the game? This is just a theory though based on mentioning being ONLY on your 32nd run through the village. I probabaly got mine after passing through 50 or more times.

Edited by Naps
v1.3 more findings/theories added.

On 4/10/2021 at 7:25 PM, Naps said:

I feel for you man... same here, unlucky streak I guess when doing the Dark Hand... BUT got lucky just doing things normally as I pass through the village. I got my last two eggs under a tree near the house and a spot by the lake in one swoop, one more egg to go for me. So yeah this is some NRG BS going on.

I got there eventually, just took a really long time. Since my message a year+ ago, I also platted Automata, which was much more enjoyable (to plat that is - I actually liked the story of OG Nier better personally).

On 4/12/2021 at 3:43 PM, JABing said:

I got there eventually, just took a really long time. 

I've got 9 Giant Eggs right now by searching without harming the chickens... though I think I'm on a bad luck streak coz I haven't gotten any in a long while but insteadI've been getting a lot of chicken eggs - must be the same ration with Pearls vs Black Pearls at the Seafront. I'm not sure if messing around with the PS3 clock for doing the White Moonflower trophy may have something to do with it. Sometimes I wonder if those chicken eggs are actually going to be giant eggs if we mess around with the chickens in the village?  Just a hunch... Anyway nine eggs are more than what we need for some of the weapons upgrades, so we're good.

I also platted Automata, which was much more enjoyable to plat that is - I actually liked the story of OG Nier better personally...

I've also completed Automata first before deciding to play OG NieR despite having this game like forever. I do find a bit of similarities between the two though I would have to agreed with you that OG has a much better plot - it's just a terrible grind. Let's hope that the upcoming remake won't let us do some stupid heavy grinds and pattern the trophies to Automata especially with the weapons. Upgrading all would be the bane of my gaming.

Edited by Naps
v1.2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Getting back to this topic... I really don't understand why Giant Eggs seems to be hard to come by for some folks? Reading this thread before I even started playing the game made me believe that they are the hardest materials to get - having played the game now for the third time - NieR Gestalt, NieR Replicant ver 1.22 and at the moment NieR Replicant JP, I've had collected about 17 and 20 EXTRA EGGS respectively (post completion) and already have the 6 giant eggs needed even before I got to finish Part 1 in the JP version. So that's it for these eggs! I've as well collected the required 4 Eagle Eggs at Aerie using the only known method that works with the farming.

I didn't do any gimmicks or out-of-the-way methods, just normal way in visiting and collecting the spawning points. There are much more harder materials to get like the Forlorn Necklaces, Pyrite (with no DLC), Subdued Bracelets. Just setting the record straight for those who are planning (or just about...) to play this absolute gem of a game.

----------

EDIT: 19.05.21/22:22

I think I know why some are more unluckier than others, it may have something to do with timing!

On 4/13/2021 at 12:31 AM, Naps said:

... I think I'm on a bad luck streak coz I haven't gotten any in a long while but instead I've been getting a lot of chicken eggs...

So as someone trying this in 2020, I haven't had any luck yet. Smashed some chickens with Dark Hand, zone in and out, checked all spots. I'm on my 32nd run without a Giant Egg. Sigh....

I do remember trying to farm Giant Eggs before trigerring the sequence that will lead to the ending of Part 1, previously claiming that I must be having an unlucky streak. I'm doing exactly the same thing right now playing NieR: Replicant (JP-PS3) and it's been a couple of hours and still not a single Giant Egg (cultivating moonflowers in the process for the trophy) instead I've only been getting mostly Medicinal Herbs and some common junk. 

This is the part where I have to pick-up VAPORMOSS - that medicinal plant for Yonah's fever located at the south gate (part of the story progression), BEFORE the point-of-no-return where you defend the village from the invading horde of shades. On both occasions playing the EU/JP Nier (PS3) I tried to farm the eggs so I can make the most of part one - though technically there shouldn't be a big difference if I farmed them in Part 2, not like they're sheep that will no longer appear after the raid at the village. Probably has the same effect applies when the weather start to change in Part 2 (after the events at Emil's mansion). I've also noticed that crates that have been broken/looted from within the village do not regenerate during this time, even if you enter/exit the village or restart/reload the game.  It's most likely the same reason why the Giant Eggs will cease to spawn until after we start Part 2 perhaps?

An because of this, It may probably be safe refrain from farming the during this Vapormoss quest eggs and start doing so only after we've started the second part in the game.  This is based on my personal experience that the eggs would really start to spawn more often soon after that - as I've mentioned above I've collected 17-20 redundant eggs just from passing through the village normally without any of that Dark Magic gimmickry in Part 2 of the game.

----------

EDIT: 20.05.21/22:22

Going to add more to my hypothesis, the Giant Egg (or 巨大な卵Kyodaina tamago as it appears in my JP game) drought continued until after I have accomplished the Lost Shrine mission to retrieve the first of the key fragments in Part 2. Upon leaving the library after talking to Popola I've found two eggs simultaneously and near to each other (the heap of rubble by the river just before the bridge leading towards the village market, I find most of them here in my other playthroughs as well), then reloaded the game (to harvest white moonflowers I've been cultivating for gold) and found another one just in front of the mailbox (save kiosk).

So yeah the best time to farm them should probably be before triggering Yonah's vapormoss mission (via Popola) and then only after you obtain the key fragment for killing Gretel at the Lost Shrine (after Popola explains the key fragments in the library). RNG seems to be more favourable during these part of the game.

Edited by Naps
v1.5 shared hypothesis... and then some.
  • Thanks 1