1-2 attack damage?

So, I know I'm super late to this party, but...

I'm wondering why some of my familiars are dealing insanely wimpy damage. I'm at the part of the game where I'm looking for the three stones. Several familiars on their final forms, top equipment, paired with their proper human characters.

I can't figure out why some familiars like Bone Baron and Paleolith are dealing such low damage! Sure, Paleolith is just a tank, but what about Bone Baron? He's level 35, good Attack and M. Attack stats, with a weapon that deals bone physical and magic damage. He's still only doing 1-2 damage per hit, no matter what he's fighting, unless he uses Tricks.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Not sure have you figure it out yet but one posible reason could be that your familiars are running out of stamina and are not recalled back. When familiar runs out of stamina but isn't changed they will do minimal damage. You could look from stats to see what're their attack values are too. If you're in late game then final forms for most creatures at around 30-40s don't do much damage who have high level cap. If you think it's bugged you could go to starting areas and see that do you do more damage there. One option which might work also is to level up your familiars more for higher stats.

When familiar runs out of stamina but isn't changed they will do minimal damage. You could look from stats to see what're their attack values are too.

^This

I didn't make the stamina mistake even once in the game but I know it's effect.

Some of the powerhouse familiar and tanks have quite a low level cap so being in the level of 20-30 is good enough. But for familiars with the max level cap, you would want to make sure they are in the range of 70-99 in order to be effective in the future battles.

Thanks for the ideas. It wasn't a stamina thing-- Bone Baron was doing negligible damage as soon as he was sent out, and it wasn't even blue numbers or anything.

I stuck with him because everybody swears by him and I had to know why, and now that he's in the 70s, he's ok. Still not the OP god that everyone else raves about, but he's strong enough so that I didn't have any trouble finishing the story with him as a 2nd for Swaine.

My tanks, however (Paleolith and Wildwood) are still good for nothing but blocking, unless they use Tricks. I know they're not made for really effective attacks, but max 10 damage for one of Paleo's regular attacks is ridiculous.