Anyone get that Zelda vibe? *possible spoilers*

This thread might contain a few minor spoilers, so if you haven't completed the game, don't click on the spoiler bars.

Did anyone feel like this game had a Zelda feel to it from the N64 games? I felt it a few times, especially every boss fight you encounter.

When you encounter a boss, their name will appear in a fancy font along with a small description like "Sorcerer of the blah blah blah" just like in Ocarina of Time when you faced a boss their name would appear with a small description like "King of the forest".

[spoiler=ytrrtyffffy]Another thing was getting the three stones for the Mornstar. It felt like going to a temple to get a medallion like in Ocarina of Time, where you needed six from every temple.

The last thing was near the very end when you encounter Gallus. The text typing in the subtitles sounds A LOT like on Ocarina of Time. Here's a small example but it contains spoilers!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GcZg7g7LSE]「Ni no Kuni〠63-B ~ "Gallus" - YouTube[/ame]

[spoiler=ytrrtyy]There was also a scene with Shadar where you're talking and everythings white, just like on Ocarina of Time when you're talking to Princess Zelda.

Just thought my thoughts were worth posting. Anyone get that Zelda vibe as well? Or noticed anything else I didn't mention?

Edited by Warbear

[spoiler=ytrrtyffffy]Another thing was getting the three stones for the Mornstar. It felt like going to a temple to get a medallion like in Ocarina of Time, where you needed six from every temple.

I actually feel this was exactly the same as in a link to the past when: (spoiler if you want to play that game)

[spoiler=Cyclonedude] You have to go to the three different dungeons in the beginning to get the three pendants. Three dungeons in three contrasting locations, Swamp, Mountain and woods. Blindingly similar to this game In my opinion.

Edited by Cyclonedude

• 4 months later...

I'm almost at the 20hr mark so I haven't looked at the spoiler tags but I agree this game just reminds me so much of Zelda! In particular skyward sword. I think it has a lot to do with the charm and innocence both games have but there are definitely those more subtle similarities like boss and town titles and character conversations.

Overall loving this game so far, the main downside is the overly complicated familiar system.

• 1 month later...

Actually it felt more like FF (NES era) for me... I only played Zelda 1 (and/or 2?) but FF was my main NES/SNES RPG game and yeah it had an "old school" JRPG feel to it... I'm really enjoying this game ATM... don't know if I'd say the same when it gets waaaaay too grindy... I'm already grinding tremendously right now which helps raise my stats up for easier gameplay though...

I hope if ever Level 5/Studio Ghibli releases a similar game (or a sequel) in the future - at least let the characters actually TALK in the whole game...

Edited by Naps

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This game feels more like a Tales of/Final Fantasy style meets pokemon I'm sure its been said before, although the graphics and costume do remind me more of Zelda

^^^ That.

I've said that this is what Pokémon would've looked like if Studio Ghibli developed it.

Maybe I'm not far enough in yet to feel this Zelda vibe everyone is talking about. I just received the ability to fast travel, if that gives any indication of where I am in the story.

• 11 months later...