How does it really compare to Level 5's other games?

I hate making "what's this game like" threads, but I've got to make an exception for Level 5, especially when I'm hearing all of the Dragon Quest VIII comparisons.

Is this game anything like Dark Cloud and/or Dragon Quest VIII? These are two of my favorite games of all-time, but I felt like I got burned on White Knight Chronicles and I don't want that to happen again.

Well I compare it to Rogue Galaxy which I thought was a pretty amazing game, so that pretty much sums up that I think Ni No Kuni is just such an amazing spectacle of a a game. Christ I'd say it is an epitome of beauty.

Hmm, never played Rogue Galaxy.

A lot of people are talking about how much the demo sucks, but I liked what I saw. You can definitely tell that this is from the same team that made Dark Cloud (they even brought in a talking tree) and Dragon Quest VIII (which NNK more closely resembles from a gameplay perspective). I hadn't assumed that the similarities would be so apparent from, like, ten minutes with the game, but it seems that if I liked at least DQ8, then I'd like this. In short, I'm definitely getting this.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

I can't go far enough to compare it to other games (mainly because the only other Level 5 games I've played are the Layton Series), but it carries the same quality and even some of the same musical, architectural and interface (menus, buttons, etc.) as the Layton games. Of course not exactly the same, but it's right for the game.

I'll put it like this, if you like pokémon and dragon quest, you'll love this. the game is fun and beautiful, addictive and in a way....unique in this day and age. it's almost like the perfect old school game, for a new generation, if that makes sense?

trust me, the demo doesn't compare, the game really starts to get a lot deeper a few more hours in.

(...)

trust me, the demo doesn't compare, the game really starts to get a lot deeper a few more hours in.

A few hours?:) It took me ten hours to reach the temple where you learn how to tame familiars. Up to this point you simply click attack with your strongest familiar and win everything easily - with the exception of a few bosses where you have to run around in order to evade their attacks.

Once you reach said temple and the desert region the game gets really interesting. Monsters become stronger, you have to make good use of your abilities and micromanage team members.

Dragon Quest VIII is still the better game IMHO, but this anime-like experience is pretty close to it and the best jrpg for PS3.

If you have Pokemon aversion (collect & train) this might not be the game for you though.

A few hours?:) It took me ten hours to reach the temple where you learn how to tame familiars. Up to this point you simply click attack with your strongest familiar and win everything easily - with the exception of a few bosses where you have to run around in order to evade their attacks.

Once you reach said temple and the desert region the game gets really interesting. Monsters become stronger, you have to make good use of your abilities and micromanage team members.

Dragon Quest VIII is still the better game IMHO, but this anime-like experience is pretty close to it and the best jrpg for PS3.

If you have Pokemon aversion (collect & train) this might not be the game for you though.

:think:ten hours in is a few hours in? but yeah, you are right, it's about that point the game really starts to kick off :p

Dragon Quest VIII is still the better game IMHO, but this anime-like experience is pretty close to it and the best jrpg for PS3
How I love Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest. Thank gosh I can still play them on my Nintendo Consoles but damn do I wish Square and Level 5 would release a new one on PS3 and Vita for once.

How I love Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest. Thank gosh I can still play them on my Nintendo Consoles but damn do I wish Square and Level 5 would release a new one on PS3 and Vita for once.

I would fancy an improved DQVIII remake for PS3 - like they did with Okami.

Plus trophies. :)

This game is much better than Dragon Quest VIII. The fights in DQ8 are super boring and slow, the same repetitive static animations. Same with that annoying and droning music. That slurrish out of focus sound always makes me feel like I got hit upside the head and the music is getting slower. 10x better in Ni no Kuni. Also never liked Toriyama's designs. The hit detection and animations in Ni no Kuni are incredible. When a tail swings, it actually hits whatever it hits, not everything a foot away as well in a block. Shield'd on bosses actually work. It's not some giant invisible wall that protects their entire front. If you sidestep just enough, you can wack them past the shield.

The alchemy is a cross between Dragon Quest 8 & White Knight Chronicles, the familiars are like the bugs in Rogue Galaxy, the fighting is closer to a Tales of.../Star Ocean Story game. The errands and bounties are definitely like WKC. NnK:WotWW is definitely a colmination of all the previous Level 5 games prior. It is definitely a good game, provided you don't mind level grinding or your main character being 8 years old.