Spells I can't use?

There are a number of spells that I have acquired but seem unable to use such as quake, Vanish, and werecat. I'm thinking these spells will be unlocked when I upgrade a certain wand or obtain a better one. Can anyone confirm this? Or are there just a bunch of spells that have no use?

There's just a bunch you can't use as far as I could tell. They did say early in the game that no wizard can use all spells, but then why even have them unlock in my opinion.

What I did find out too late that bothered me was I was expecting an upgraded Spring Lock spell for the purple chests so I marked their locations and kept progressing. When I unlocked the all spells trophy with no sign of a spell upgrade I went back and used spring lock with my upgraded wand and it worked. There's some good gear in those chests I could have used.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, thanks guys. That's super lame tho because some of those spells seemed really useful like the doppelgänger one (figured there would be a puzzle involving this one) and I was really looking forward to messing dudes up with quake. Oh well.

Wasn't going to happen. The devs got bored writing content for the game a little less than half way through it, and decided not to include puzzles for the spells.