my GOD how annoying is this game?!?!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's the most infuriating racing game i have played since rage racer, maybe even more so. how could they screw it up so bad? it should be fun, like burnout with cops but no its pain and suffering incarnate. :mad:

crap ... couldn't you make this thread BEFORE i bought it ... i just got it a few hours ago ...

is it really that bad?

i think on reflection, my problem is the handling of the cars. they need constant readjustment when driving in a straight line, like a simulator, and you get harshly punished in speed terms for scraping the walls and hitting dirt, like a simulator. but you drift like an arcade game. the game encourages you to play it like an arcade racer then punishes you for it. it's weird, you know, you play gran turismo and you drive carefully and realistically, you play burnout and you drive reckless and carefree and this game is in the middle.

i'm gonna give it one more chance tonight, perhaps comparing it to the pad smashing wife beating rage racer was harsh.

i think on reflection, my problem is the handling of the cars. they need constant readjustment when driving in a straight line, like a simulator, and you get harshly punished in speed terms for scraping the walls and hitting dirt, like a simulator. but you drift like an arcade game. the game encourages you to play it like an arcade racer then punishes you for it. it's weird, you know, you play gran turismo and you drive carefully and realistically, you play burnout and you drive reckless and carefree and this game is in the middle.

i'm gonna give it one more chance tonight, perhaps comparing it to the pad smashing wife beating rage racer was harsh.

You just bought the game kinda late so your getting use to it the first time.

This game really is the best NFS game in a long time.

The Handling of the cars is easy. You probably just dont know how to work them yet.

Im guessing you probably use L2 to slow down. Use the handbreak (:square:) for all turns.

As for the scraping walls, sound just like bad driving/you not use to the game.

This game is one of those games where you either pick it up and understand it right away, or its the hardest game for you.

If all else, you can sell it on ebay. Good luck.

Online races + time trials really help improve your skill.

I don't know dude, you sure you get better turns with the handbrake button? I'm not an expert at this game but I've got all golds as a cop (working on racer golds now) and never used the handbrake to turn. Mind you, maybe that's why I had a lot of trouble with the last two rapid response events... I'll give it a shot.

To TC, the game feels pretty "arcadey" to me, not at all like GT5. Although it is infuriating at times, especially the rapid response events. Hell, one of them took my about 40 tries and I'm not exagerating a single bit. It's not perfect, but definitely a great game.

so i'm not alone then.. luckily i haven't bought it, just a rental. the wall-scraping isn't bad driving as such, its me trying to play it like i would play burnout ie never ever taking my finger off the accelerator. i was so hoping for burnout style gameplay and it just isnt... so disappointed

Shouldn't it be good that is NOT just like Burnout?! Why would you want a game that came out in late 2010 to be just like a game that came out in '08?! Sorry you are disappointed, I personally like HP much more than BP but as with anything its all personal preference.

And also I agree with the above comments about the handbrake. I made it thru probably 90% of the game without using but once I did, my times were much faster. Its entirely possible to get thru the game without it but you will be much more competitive, especially online, with using the handbrake.

I don't know dude, you sure you get better turns with the handbrake button? I'm not an expert at this game but I've got all golds as a cop (working on racer golds now) and never used the handbrake to turn. Mind you, maybe that's why I had a lot of trouble with the last two rapid response events... I'll give it a shot.

To TC, the game feels pretty "arcadey" to me, not at all like GT5. Although it is infuriating at times, especially the rapid response events. Hell, one of them took my about 40 tries and I'm not exagerating a single bit. It's not perfect, but definitely a great game.

Yeahp, easiest plat. I found handbrake to be useful for all turns. It was especially useful for rapid responses. I never had a problem with it. It really depends how you use it and how the turn is. But ive mastered it and and am a pro online. But if L2 is working for you, stick with that then. Might as well since you played the whole game with it. You probably wont be use to it. I think the last thing to say is when you do use it, dont hold down the button. You just need to tap.

I loved this game from the very start. It does take a while to master the controls. It took me 12 hours until it really clicked with me and I was able to take near perfect turns with the Hyper cars. Once I learned how to handle the hyper cars like the Bugatti and especially the McLaren F1 the game was a whole lot easier.

Some events take many tries and others only the first try you will get a gold. My advice is to skip the ones you are having problems with. Mix it up with playing people online. Playing online was where I was seeing other drivers racing lines and how they take turns.

I use a mixed braking approach. Sometimes with :l2: and sometimes with :square: or just letting off the gas. Different methods for different turns.

Keep at it and don't quit, you may end up liking it a whole lot more.

I had some trouble with this game. Getting used to handling took a long time compared to other arcade racing games (i.e. Burnout). Stil hasn't really clicked on me as much as Burnout did. My in-game clock is at 100 hours and I still got 4 events left for (P).

Only until I started going for the Golds did I find this game a piece of infuriating turd.

The camera's too low to see oncoming traffic, especially at night when a street lamp is the same style as a car headlight.

You manage to swerve around a car only to correct the angle so you dont hit the side and end up going at a right angle into the side opposite

Cars and Cops alike seem to have an infinte amount of spike strips

There's inconsistency when hitting/being hit - yesterday I hit a racer with the back end of my car and it knocked me out, the replay I did the same and busted the racer ?!?

L2 or square...L2 or square....the braking is inconsistent. Yes, different cars, different brake, but a cars a car at the end of the day. For me personally, the L2 brake does frig all and I can ONLY use square.

The camera's too low to see oncoming traffic, especially at night when a street lamp is the same style as a car headlight.

Easily solved by using the incar view instead of the chase cam. I can't imagine playing a driving game with the chase view.

L2 or square...L2 or square....the braking is inconsistent. Yes, different cars, different brake, but a cars a car at the end of the day. For me personally, the L2 brake does frig all and I can ONLY use square.

I never used handbrake (Square) once during my time playing Hot Pursuit. Just stick to using the brake for hairpin turns, everything else just ease off the accelerator, turn into the corner, and hit the accelerator again. Easy stuff.

this seems to be the only game on the planet wher driving the first police car nets me 2.36 on a challenge im trying, hitting as many shortcuts and incurring no penalties but in a Jaguar police car or BMW the time is closer to 2.48 hitting the same shortcuts and no incurred penalties:confused:

just what the fuck

Totally agree, use the handbrake. I think the only time I use the L2 brake is a last resort to try and avoid an EMP. My complaint is the load times. Not as bad as NFS Shift, but when I hit skip I'm still waiting 10 seconds before I can start driving.

You just bought the game kinda late so your getting use to it the first time.

This game really is the best NFS game in a long time.

The Handling of the cars is easy. You probably just dont know how to work them yet.

Im guessing you probably use L2 to slow down. Use the handbreak (:square:) for all turns.

As for the scraping walls, sound just like bad driving/you not use to the game.

This game is one of those games where you either pick it up and understand it right away, or its the hardest game for you.

If all else, you can sell it on ebay. Good luck.

Online races + time trials really help improve your skill.

like most good racing games it's rewarding to those who take the time and learn how to play it properly. it has nothing to do with it having simulation elements mixed in (it doesn't) you just need to keep your momentum up, and it's thrilling when you do.

sounds like cars race o' rama is more up OP's alley, crashing into walls doesn't slow you down in that game.

I very much enjoy this game and reminds me of hot pursuit on ps2. I do agree that some cars are unbalanced and the AI is always ahead until the end of the game (most of the time). I like how they made this game more competitive with the autolog.