The Ultimate Road Car (McLaren Time Trial)

Duality26

From what I have read on other forums (360 & Gfaqs) this race has been causing a lot of racers grief so I thought I would post some helpful hints since I dont see anything about it on PS3T.

I have a time of 3:03.03 and I made a few mistakes during my run as well.

-Never hit L2 for the break. The McLaren is a drift machine. All of the hairpin turns and all of the larger turns that would generally require the break can be done faster by a quick process: Stay on the outside of the turn and let off the gas, tapping the e-brake turning into the apex, immediately hitting the gas again. I was able to take all of the hairpins between 130-135 mph and accelerated out of them. reaching about 160 mph with a little boost to regain speed.

-The very first shortcut shaves a few seconds off the run. Stay to the left to avoid hitting a rock on the right and boost. You should be able to exit at around 210 mph.

-When exiting the corners with the above tip only tap the boost to help regain lost speed. A majority of your boost should be used during the uphill parts of the race IE: the part of the road when there is a tunnel on the right hand side after the short cut. Perfect time to use all your boost.

As a helpful landmark I hit the archway indicating I was almost done with the race at 2:32. So if you are close to that time you should be able to reach the finish line with a gold.

I hope this post helps to anybody having trouble with this event. GL!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found using the handbrake its much quicker at causing a drift, just some better handling cars dont drift as long so you may need to tap the button again, or just use brake instead (i had this problem using the handbrake in exotic teir with the Mclaren mp4-12c and Porsche Carrera GT).

I'm not sure if i've done the "The Ultimate Road Car" event yet, is it later in the racer career? i'm on level 13 with i think 15 events left to unlock.

Its one of the first Preview races in the Racer career. Its on the snow mountain level, the name escapes me atm, but I've read a lot of players having a hard time hitting the required 3:08 for the gold.

The handbreak works wondesr for all the low height, light weight cars as it allows you to enter turns at a higher speed, perfectly accelerate out of the turns and straighten your line immediately. I almost never use the normal break any more as it just isnt nearly as accurate or as fast when taking hard turns.

I just beat this on my 44th try (although I did rage quit on about 10-20 other attempts, I don't think it counted those).

The way I did it? Probably not what you expect to hear but mute the game. The engine roaring and that annoying ticking noise at the end of the race that is basically another language telling you that you suck and better luck next time were just getting to me I think. I can focus on driving a lot better with no sound on. The sound adds to the experience and makes it fun but I think it distracts me from observing the roads and timing my turns.

The first few times I tried it I couldn't figure it out. But honestly, after moving on to other races and going back to it later, I found it to be cake. I beat it by 7 seconds. It just takes more playing and then it feels so much smoother. Honestly practice makes perfect in this case.

Now all I have left is that blasted last night time supercar rapid response and the 43 mile race...

I can only manage 3.14 on this!! god knows where I'm gonna find 4 secs! I only boost out of corners & on straights don't hit anything but I'm miles off!!

If your not hitting anything and keeping your speed up out of corners Im guessing your problem is your taking the corners the wrong way. Perhaps your making your car drift to much on its side, thus losing precious speed and seconds once all the corners are added up.

FRICK FRICK FRICK, 52 attempts, cant get past 3:13:48, and shaving miliseconds by the attempt, glitch if you got 3 flat

Just because you cant do it, doesn't mean to say i cheated. add me on psn if you want so you can see my time for yourself.

Theres races that i cant do and yet people on my friends list have bossed them with 20 seconds to spare.

Thanks for the tips in this thread, very helpful.

I just got the game a few hours ago, and when I came across this event I decided to try and knock it off after reading this thread. It took 10 attempts or so to get a 3.19, something I was happy with because I thought I had done well!

I eventually went on a sweet run and got 3.08.89 or so, just over the Gold standard.

I kept going at it, probably took about 50 tries, but somehow I just went on an epic run and got 3.03.09!!! :dance:

Just keep at it, I noticed myself learning the corners better each time and learning when to boost, I went into oncoming traffic whenever possible and boosted between every corner, no exceptions. If me, a very very average gamer and not a very good racing game player can get nearly 5 seconds under the gold, then I am sure 95% of people can :)

I just got it myself....(took 4 tries after reading this thread)

I think what really helped this time was boosting going up hill... resisting the urge to boost downhill unless it was darn close to being full... and using a full boost meter coming out of the last big turn near the very end to get near 230 mph... and ended with 3:06.24.

And in the shortcut.. I went in at about 175 and came out the other end at 192.

Well im glad some people found the thread helpful. There are so many hairpin turns that its essential to become comfortable with them, which is why i posted what my exit speeds were so people can gauge there own success.

To some of the above posters I never stated it was impossible without hitting L2, using the handbrake was just more successful to me which is why I posted my strategy. Congrats with your times.

Now that I have finally finished getting golds/distinction on all of the events I can say this event was one of the hardest in the game, so rest assured if you get this gold you will be well on your way to the plat.

I still have silver but I can keep going and try to beat it because its my favorite car in the game. Too bad Ferrari F50 isnt there. :(

Do you think they could add it in a future dlc or is Ferrari license expensive?

The ultimate opponent of McLaren F1:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/NFS_II_(PC,_US)_cover_art.jpg

Hi guys. Although i dont use ps3 but a PC i'd like to share with you my way to pass this race. I drove with logitech driving force pro which as far as i know can be simply used with ps3. My race wasnt the best but i managed to pass it in less than 3:04 so it might be helpful for some of you. During the race i never used a handbreak.

I hope its not "Faux pas" to post this video here.

this game kinda rocks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itdNT0Rq3FQ]YouTube - Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) Gameplay PC Logitech Driving Force Pro[/ame]

cheers and good luck!