NBA Jam: On Fire Edition - Road Map & Trophy Guide

nastich88

S8q0uRA.jpg

Introduction:

NBA Jam: On Fire Edition is more like an expansion pack, rather than a standalone game, to the retail version released in 2010. It has various gameplay tweaks, new modes, improved commentary and AI specifically designed for the hardcore players, all of which just add up to the incredibly fun arcade experience. If you played and loved the original NBA Jam and NBA Hang Time from Midway, then without a doubt you shall be immensely pleased with what NBA Jam (On Fire Edition) has to offer. And if the full retail price was a bit too much for an arcade game, the 15$ on the PSN store make it a definite bargain.

Hope this guide helps you towards the 100% completion of the game.

guide by nastich88.

Overview:

• Estimate difficulty: 6/10 (personal estimate)
  • Offline: 10 [6 (B)/ 3 (S)/ 1   (G)]
  • Online: 2 [1 (B)/ 1  (S)]
  • Approximate time to 100%: 8 days (the least) for the online trophies - see Arena Vet for more info. 20+ hours for the offline trophies.
  • Minimum number of playthroughs needed: Jam Sesh (5 games), Road Trip campaign (121 games), numerous online games on your way to 50 wins.
  • Missable Trophies: None
  • Glitched Trophies: None
  • Cheats disable trophies: N/A
  • Difficulty affect trophies: Yes (you’ll have to master the higher difficulties for a 100% completion, see Road Trippin’ for more details)

Roadmap:

Step 1

From the main menu select Jam Now, set the difficulty to easy, play 5 different games, and have fun. This will net you the Jam Sesh (B) trophy. Try to familiarize yourself with the controls, and get a general feel for the game. I suggest you use the tag team option, since it's much more efficient than the classic mode. When taking a shot, keep your ears open for a propeller aircraft kind of buzz, or a formula one car sound, that sound indicates the player's hot spot. Make three buckets from that spot, and you'll get a major shot bonus throughout the game.

The privileges you buy from the jam store, such as "Unlimited Turbo", "One shot fire", "Mini men", etc... here can be turned on, to further increase the fun factor. Note that in this mode you will not be able to upgrade your Jam Challenges.

Step 2

Start the Road Trip campaign. You can do this by yourself, or with a friend online to double the fun. Here you’ll begin to complete the different jam challenges, earn medals and jam bucks respectively. I strongly suggest you stick with the Road Trip campaign for a while before going online. Unlock at least the Gold medal matches, or even the Platinum ones, because ultimately mastering the higher difficulties (especially the AI Jambots in the platinum medal matches) will significantly increase your skills and awareness for the game, and groom you to becoming a better NBA jam player overall, thus making the on-line experience much more easier.

Step 3

Step into the online arena. Your main goal here is to win matches and earn medals within a timed session, while also boosting your jam challenge progress and earning tons of jam bucks and XP along the way. The online arena is divided into sessions that last for about seven days. In that time span you must win as many matches as you can, and earn medals. The maximum amount of medals you can earn per session is 5 (1 Bronze = 5 wins, 1 Silver = 10 wins, 1 Gold =15 wins, 1 Platinum = 20 wins, and 1 Diamond = 25 wins). The wins for the medals are counted as overall, not consecutive. After getting the last Diamond medal (25 wins) in one particular session, you can continue to build up your winning score, but that number will not add up towards your medal earnings, it will only improve the scoresheet in your online arena history and leaderboards. You must wait for the current session to expire, and the new one to start (immediately after the previous one), so that you may continue your pursuit for medals.

The first online trophy you’ll obtain is Arena Noob (B), which requires you to earn one medal, an equivalent of 5 overall wins. The second online trophy, Arena Vet (S) (earn ten online medals) will take a minimum of two sessions to obtain. For more info see Arena Vet.

(Please refer to the Boosting Thread for help with the online trophies)

Edited by Viper

Trophy Guide:

09.jpg  Jam Sesh (B)

Participate in 5 JAM Now games

Easy enough. From the main menu select Jam Now, set the difficulty to easy, play 5 different games, and have fun. You are not even required to win the games, just finish them, and the trophy will pop.

10.jpg  Razzle Dazzle (B)

As a team, sink 5 Razzle Dazzle shots in Road Trip or Online Arena

To perform a Razzle Dazzle shot, hold :l2:+:r2: and hit :square: or push the right stick upwards :rsup:. Score a bucket in this manner 5 times, during the course of your Road Trip campaign or Online Arena matches, and the trophy will unlock.

07.jpg  Thanks for the love (B)

Watch the credits till the end

From the main menu select extras, and then Credits. Simply let them roll, until you get your bronze *ding*.

11.jpg  Bronzed Out (B)

Upgrade 5 JAM Challenges to Bronze level

See Iced Out for more information.

03.jpg  Platinum Plus (S)

Upgrade 3 JAM Challenges to Platinum level

See “Iced Out” for more information

01.jpg  Iced Out(G)

Upgrade 1 JAM Challenge to Diamond level

In the main menu hit the :select: button to bring up “Jam Central”, and from there navigate to “Jam Challenges”. Here you’ll find multiple challenges, that will test your skill and reward you with jam bucks upon completion. Jam Bucks is the in game currency, that you can use later on to buy stuff in the jam store, like different logos, titles, and backgrounds to customize your jam card, legendary players, teams, privileges, etc... (The logos, titles and backgrounds have a certain prestige system attached to, and many of them require you to be at a specific level, or complete a series of challenges, before you even attempt to purchase them.)

Each challenge has 5 levels (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond), that you can upgrade in the Road Trip Campaign or by playing in the Online Arena, unless you’re playing the Jam Now mode, in which case the challenges don’t apply.

The “Iced Out” trophy should come with the natural progression of the game, and there is absolutely no need to go out of your way in order to farm it. The trophy is cumulative from your performance in both online and offline matches. You can always check your progress in the “Jam Challenges” section.

08.jpg  If You Wanna Be a Baller (B)

Reach Level 5

See “Shot Caller” for more information.

04.jpg  Shot Caller (S)

Reach Level 25

You get XP points for every single game you play in the three game modes Jam Now, Road Trip, and Online Arena. There are various XP bonuses like just participate in matches, win matches, play on higher difficulty settings, play with random teams, play co-op, complete jam challenges, etc. The higher the level, the more distinguished logos and backgrounds will become available for you to purchase, and show off on your jam card. The maximum level cap is 50, so just play the game on, or offline and this trophy will unlock naturally.

06.jpg  Half-Time (B)

Win 60 different Road Trip games

Self explanatory. See Road Trippin' for more information.

07.jpg  Road Trippin' (S)

Complete Road Trip

The Road Trip campaign consists of 121 games, throughout the divisions in the Eastern and the Western conference. It’s by far the hardest trophy in the game, and it's also a time consuming experience, that could get a bit tiresome and frustrating, especially during the last Platinum medal matches, but ultimately it boils down to practice makes perfect.

The 121 games are divided into Bronze Medal games, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and the last one is a special event, a showdown with the Beastie Boys.

The Bronze medal matches are all classic 2v2 jam, and are the easiest, so feel free to experiment with different teams. You can hit :square: in the team selection screen, to randomize your pick, which will net you extra XP.

The silver medal matches, are basically on normal difficulty, and here you’ll be introduced with some new game rules, which will make the matches even more interesting and diversified. Besides the classic 2v2 jam, you’ll play “Fire UP: 1 shot to go on fire, never expires”, “Mod air: Dunks and Alley oops are worth 4” … and other.

In the Gold Medal Matches you’ll find the same rules, more or less, like in the Bronze and Silver ones, just the difficulty has been amped up a bit.

After completing all of the Bronze, Silver and Gold matches, you’ll face you’re biggest hurdle in the game, The Platinum mirror matches, featuring the super-enhanced, and much annoying Jambots (AI designed specifically for the hardcore fans). The Jambots are basically a mirror image of your players of choice, only on steroids. My one-two punch against all of them, were Larry Bird and Kevin Garnett. The Platinum matches count 30 in total, and are played in the classic 2v2 jam format.

Now, I’m not advocating a certain style of play, but I found that Larry’s flawless ranged game, in combination with Garnett’s shoving and alley-oop capabilities can save you a lot of headaches (so I suggest you pick your team along this pattern).

You can use the following strategy: After passing the half-court, utilize the :l1: button (call for shove), and have your teammate clear the way for an open shot, if he doesn’t do what he’s supposed to, immediately press :r1: and go for an alley-oop. Jambots do have a weak spot for alley oops. On defense, I found that Jambots have a relatively low ball security, so having a teammate with high steal ability, would really help.

The last 121th game is against the Beastie Boys, and thankfully it’s a breeze, and shouldn’t cause any problems at all.

12.jpg  Arena Noob (B)

Earn 1 Arena Medal

See Arena Vet for more information.

02.jpg  Arena Vet (S)

Earn 10 total Arena Medals

This is an online trophy that requires you to earn 10 medals in the online arena, which is the equivalent of 50 overall wins, across multiple sessions. Bear in mind that there are also specific online challenges, similar to the jam challenges, that reward you medals, but they DON’T count, only wins count towards the Arena Vet trophy.

When you first enter the online arena, you’ll notice a timer ticking. The timer is set to seven days, and represents the remaining time you have to win matches and earn medals in that particular session.

The medals are divided into Bronze (5 wins), Silver (10 wins), Gold (15 wins) Platinum (20 wins), and Diamond (25 wins).

The maximum amount of medals you can earn per session is 5, which translates to 25 wins in total, or an in game Diamond medal. You can still go beyond the 25 wins, but that would be only for the purposes of improving your leaderboards standings and scoresheet in your online arena history. When the timer expires and the session ends, a new one immediately follows, and you can start your quest for medals again, meaning that the Arena Vet trophy (Earn 10 total Arena Medals) will take you a minimum of two sessions (two weeks) to obtain.

This trophy can be achieved solo or in co-op, or you can mix between both, it doesn't really matter, as long as you're winning.

Please refer to the Boosting Thread, for help with the online trophies.

Edited by Viper

Quick Feedback:

From my browser I see alot of broken images within the guide, here are examples of how it appears on my screen.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2a8ntef.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/aadpbo.png

After taking a look at your BBcoding I see alot excess coding that just doesn't belong and some that could be replaced with smiley shortcuts to reduce the amount of character space you take up. Here is a sample of your coding I got from quoting you:

http://i53.tinypic.com/akjwuc.png

I highlighted "/forum" which is what is breaking your tile images in the guide, just remove those and your images should work just fine. You seem to have a link to the main site page for each trophy which isn't needed, you can easily remove all of these by highlighting each post and using the Remove Link (http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/images/PS3T2/editor/unlink.gif). For those trophy images look under the "Smilies" for the code for those trophy images such as (B), (S), (G). Heres a sample of how it should look once everything is fixed up:

http://i56.tinypic.com/bhwvv6.png

Also include a link to the trophy boosting thread if a trophy can be boosted, if there isn't one then make one :p.

Thats about it, but overall good job. The guide looks good at first glance you just need to fix up that coding :)

Edited by Setsuna

Tons of thanks for the reply. I shall try and fix this problem. Obviously dumb mistakes have been made, like using drag and drop for the images... but that's only because the copy+paste technique didn't seem to show the image in the editor, is this how it suppose to be?

Edited by nastich88

Ok, i think that i've sorted the problem, but i'm pretty sure that i' m still doing things backwards. Again i used drag and drop for the pics, maybe i'm doing copy+paste the wrong way :), and whenever i click to edit my post the pictures disappear, but the code still exists, that's why the unnecessary excess coding shows up.

Could i just host the trophy pics on Photobucket, or some similar hosting service?

Edited by nastich88

Thanks for the guide... didn't realize the arena medals require 5 wins.

One thing worth mentioning is, when online, if someone disconnects, it count as a loss for both parties, I believe.

Nope, it somehow count's as a loss only in the streak that is shown on your jam card, but actually, if you have the lead, and the other person quits on you, the main session streak that is under the timer, will count it as a win. Out of my 25 wins, 5-6 came from quitters :)

And thanks for the feedback man :).

Edited by nastich88

Ok, i think that i've sorted the problem, but i'm pretty sure that i' m still doing things backwards. Again i used drag and drop for the pics, maybe i'm doing copy+paste the wrong way :), and whenever i click to edit my post the pictures disappear, but the code still exists, that's why the unnecessary excess coding shows up.

Could i just host the trophy pics on Photobucket, or some similar hosting service?

Ah, yeah never drag and drop or copy and paste it'll just add some excess coding some times which is why I just do my BBcoding manually.

No just use the images hosted here on PS3T. I took a look at your coding and everything looks much better now. The last thing I was to recommend could be making your roadmap a stand alone post and moving the portions of the guide down a post to give it alittle more of a organized look. :)

No just use the images hosted here on PS3T. I took a look at your coding and everything looks much better now. The last thing I was to recommend could be making your roadmap a stand alone post and moving the portions of the guide down a post to give it alittle more of a organized look. :)

You mean just copy and input the image URL? I'll try that.

And thanks for the tips, a separate post for the road map and the guide will definitely make things look more coordinated and easier to read. I just hope this image coding thing will be sorted out, so that i can edit my post without any worries.

You mean just copy and input the image URL? I'll try that.

And thanks for the tips, a separate post for the road map and the guide will definitely make things look more coordinated and easier to read. I just hope this image coding thing will be sorted out, so that i can edit my post without any worries.

Well for the base of the guide I have my own little process of doing it but for the rest of the guide I put all the coding in myself on notepad.

I looked at your coding and every looks fine, when moving stuff down just do it through the bbcoding screen opposed to previewed screen when editing.

Well for the base of the guide I have my own little process of doing it but for the rest of the guide I put all the coding in myself on notepad.

I looked at your coding and every looks fine, when moving stuff down just do it through the bbcoding screen opposed to previewed screen when editing.

Kudos man. I can't thank you enough. Finally the editing in Mozilla is fixed and corresponds with the other browsers. Lesson well learned, as far as posting images go :)

Great guide NastiCH! :D Appreciate your hard work... keep it up!

Thanks maksut029, your kind words of encouragement keep my hopes high, until the forum demigods and ultimate beings decide to break their silence. :)

Edited by nastich88

why cant i play online?? does anyone else have the same problem? when i enter the online arena,after the match starts (right after the jumpball exactly) its kicking me out and i'm having a message that i lost contact with the opponent.i tried many times but nothing.its always that way! im recieving money and xp though but i cant get the 2 related trophies. any ideas anyone? thank you and good guide btw ;)

why cant i play online?? does anyone else have the same problem? when i enter the online arena,after the match starts (right after the jumpball exactly) its kicking me out and i'm having a message that i lost contact with the opponent.i tried many times but nothing.its always that way! im recieving money and xp though but i cant get the 2 related trophies. any ideas anyone? thank you and good guide btw ;)

It's most likely the servers. I've read here in the forums that people who live in Australia are experiencing similar connectivity issues. I am in the EU and after the first couple of days without any online connectivity, things have been running smoothly.

btw: Glad you liked it. :)

Do the online wins have to be 5 in a row, 10 in a row, 15 in a row, and 25 in a row. Or is it just 50 wins.

Absolutely not! Imagine if you had to win 25 games back to back, that would have been insane. :) You just need to have 50 wins in total, across multiple sessions. Keep in mind that you can go beyond the 25 wins needed for the last, diamond medal, in one single session, but that number will not add up towards your medal earnings, it will only improve the scoresheet in your online arena history. You'll always start the next session with a 0-0 streak.

Edited by nastich88

The servers are EA... known to be glitchy. But if you are on a slower DSL connection this can happen also. Just attempt to make sure that nothing else is taking up your internet as you are attempting to play. You need fast upload time for gaming, which is usually the issue I'm sure.

Also, does anyone know if this game has an online co-op capability or just offline?

Just for clarification purposes (to the OP), are you saying that in one week you can only play 50 games for that trophy? And, the medals pertain to win streaks not wins?

Just for clarification purposes (to the OP), are you saying that in one week you can only play 50 games for that trophy? And, the medals pertain to win streaks not wins?

Thanks for the response, i've made a clear lapsus, describing the 25 wins (Diamond medal) as a streak, which is more indicative of consecutive wins, when actually it suppose to be a record, as in overall wins needed for the last medal for that session. You can play as many games as you want per session, but you can earn a maximum number of 5 medals = 25 wins. After that you can continue to improve your record, for the purposes of leaderboard standings, until the next session starts, where you can go hunting for that Diamond medal again. So the Arena Vet trophy will take you a minimum of two sessions (two weeks) to obtain. Hope i've made things more clear now :D.

Edited by nastich88

Thanks for the response, i've made a clear lapsus, describing the 25 wins (Diamond medal) as a streak, which is more indicative of consecutive wins, when actually it suppose to be a record, as in overall wins needed for the last medal for that session. You can play as many games as you want per session, but you can earn a maximum number of 5 medals = 25 wins. After that you can continue to improve your record, for the purposes of leaderboard standings, until the next session starts, where you can go hunting for that Diamond medal again. So the Arena Vet trophy will take you a minimum of two sessions (two weeks) to obtain. Hope i've made things more clear now :D.

Thanks for the reply. So basically when you get your 25 game win streak you will accumulate all of those medals; the first for the first 5, then 10, 15, 20 then 25. If that's the case you may consider clarifying that on the road map. Great job!

• Viper changed the title to NBA Jam: On Fire Edition - Road Map & Trophy Guide