never played an NBA game. Tips?

MikeMan54

picked up WWE'13 & NBA2K13 in a double pack for $7.

Never played or watched a proper basketball game before so any and all tips would be welcomed.

my first few matches have ended something like 02-70 & 00-43 respectively.

I managed to dive right in with games like Madden & NHL and pick it up, but this game just seems to be giving me trouble.

Also, what trophies are now unobtainable? (besides the obvious)

EDIT: incase its not obvious I'm talking about offline.

Edited by MikeMan54

Haven't booted the game since server death, are you talking about online matches? Those scores like look like online trounces. In my experience skill levels vary enormously online. There's nothing that remotely resembles a decent matching system, you can get just as well get paired with newcomers, as with veterans who will score every chance they get. Appears totally random. Of course there aren't that many newcomers around...

I recommend to really stick to one team, so you will eventually learn the best release timing for the various shots of each player. There may be another trick to playing online that I never figured - I kept missing even the most basic wide open shots, the kind I can pull anytime offline. Not sure what the heck.

Edited by WZ_PSX

Like @WZ_PSX said, the online is dead, since the servers closed.

It's also true that there was no fair matching system for skill levels.

At first, tinker with the sliders. This games AI will rip you to shreds! Do yourself a favor & reduce cpu abilities to where you are comfortable. Raise human abilities, so you can have a chance! You can take fouls off completely as well.

Use practice mode a lot!

Watch real Basketball. As of this, it's playoff time, so not as many games to watch.

Learn the jargon, aka terms, so you know what is meant by a 'brick,' a triple double,' or even 'nothing but net,' or 'and one,' etc.

It is not advised to go online yet, though the servers are closed for this, with little experience, btw. Human players are heartless! I say that in case you buy this years version.

Above all, have fun. Good luck.

Edited by Iceyice
spellcheck

seems the online is shutdown, I'm clearly talking about offline...

The AI just wrecks me. I'm lucky if i can lose by 20 points.

Don't get me started on My Career, that rookie showcase is brutal!

I think i might turn off Reaching Fouls, cause any time I try I get called. I'm not even mashing Steal, I only do it when they are dribbling up the court.

seems the online is shutdown, I'm clearly talking about offline...

The AI just wrecks me. I'm lucky if i can lose by 20 points.

Don't get me started on My Career, that rookie showcase is brutal!

I think i might turn off Reaching Fouls, cause any time I try I get called. I'm not even mashing Steal, I only do it when they are dribbling up the court.

Do you have the latest patch installed? 2K jacked up the reach in fouls in the last patch.

Try playing on rookie/casual setting if you are new and practice players jumpshot on practice mode. They also have "move" tutorial under the practice menu.