Co-op

Pickles

Hey,

If anyone wants to add me for some co-op when this game finally comes out, i played loads of N+ on the 360 and loved the co-op i think i got to rank 33 in the world outta 150k+ people.. in co-op, i'm not to bothered about the trophies, but if you wanna team up and get some good co-op scores and chill out have some fun, leave a comment and i'll add you :)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'll play co-op. I got all the achievements on the 360 version and played with a good friend on there. But like Koompbala above me, I now only play on PS4 so I don't have very many friends on here and don't have the same person I did the co-op with on N+ on 360 which was years ago.

I just hope that if I struggle on some parts, any of you won't get too mad. The game can be very challenging on certain levels. But hey, like I said I did eventually get every achievement and I've also done every achievement on Super Meat Boy which is similar, so I can overcome the challenge with persistence.

Sorry to say but there won't be online co-op.

We had to choose whether to implement online level sharing or network multiplayer — we couldn’t afford to do both, in terms of time as well as money.

We thought level sharing would be better, because the netcode was never going to be as good as in-person (N+ was always laggy and buggy, we really felt terrible about it, and we got a lot of complaints). The N games are sadly the worst-case for online networking because there’s absolutely no way to hide latency :(

(We’ve even had problems with latency while showing the game, at PAX last year the TVs we rented made it almost unplayable due to latency; even 100ms makes a big difference!)

So, we had to decide between adding great online level sharing, or okay online multiplayer. We’re perfectionists so we decided to go with what we knew we could execute well on.

Also, a lot of the Co-op and Race levels were designed for in-person multiplayer; the Co-op levels require a lot more coordination than in N+, and in Race, there are many levels with sort of “troll” traps which kill all the other players, which is fun when you’re playing with friends (because if you pull stuff like that too much they’ll just punch you) but would just be enraging if some anonymous stranger did it to you.

We feel bad because we know a lot of people don’t have friends nearby who can come over to play (and/or don’t have 4 controllers), but we’re really happy with how the game turned out, we think that the local multiplayer is very strong, so we hope that everyone understands our decision.

It would have taken another 8-12 months if we wanted to add online multiplayer (we only have a single programmer who is *very* busy with the rest of the game), and we already felt bad for how long people were waiting! (Plus, at this point we’ve spent so much time/money making the game that it’s unclear whether we’re going to break even… however it’s exactly what we wanted so we’re happy with that.)

Sorry to say but there won't be online co-op.

I'm quite happy with the decision for no online co-op, and the quote you provided sums up why. I have local co-op partners and games like this are always way more enjoyable in person than via online.

Also, when they say "online level sharing" does that mean the ability to make and share levels? If so that's icing on the cake - I was hoping for that feature in n++ and hadn't heard anything about it, so if that's going to be the case I'm even happier with my pre-order than I already was.