Orochi Z Weapon Skills

starcrunch061

Here is a list of all the weapon skills, in the order in which you will find them in the game (i.e. on the story menu screen, first choose the 5th option, and then the 1st option). I also give their requirements (treasure + weapon), and a short synopsis/evaluation. The format will be

- Weapon Skill name

Requirements: treasure, (weapon elements)

Evaluation

Level 1:

- Guile

Requirements: Obsidian, (Br 1)

This doubles the duration of power ups such as the war god ax. Not so great - I wouldn't use it for anyone.

- Iron Will

Requirements: Jade, (Flam 1)

This doubles attack power when life is in the red. Utterly useless. On easy, you don't need the power. On hard/chaos, you can't afford to have low life.

- Acrobatics

Requirements: Amber, (Ran 1)

This allows for your character to get up almost immediately after knockdown by pressing L2 (thanks to BlackConvoy for the clarification). This can be very useful in the intermediate parts of the game, but will lose its worth once you go to Chaos mode.

- Nutrition

Requirements: Fluorite, (Dr 1, Ab 1)

This causes more peaches to drop. For a cheap skill, it's not that bad, but there are far better.

- Firepower

Requirements: Silver, (Br 1, Ag 1, Mi 1)

Your projectiles will be better. This is obviously a specialized skill, but it might be appropriate on the right character (Ina, perhaps?).

Edited by starcrunch061

Level 2:

- Verity

Requirements: Agate, (Flam 1, Mu 1, Bo 1)

This allows for a true musou attack to be used at any time. True musou is better than regular musou, but all in all, I think this is pretty bad.

- Teamwork

Requirements: Diamond, (Flam 1, Ran 1, Mul 1, Mi 1)

This allows for triple attacks to be used more often. Again, this is specialized, but for teams with special triple attacks (e.g. Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, Ieyasu), you get more bang for the buck.

- Evasion

Requirements: Malachite, (Flas 1, Dr 1, Ran 1, Rag 1)

This reduces all damage your character takes. An excellent skill for any warrior - I would suggest putting this on every level 4 weapon you get.

- Stability

Requirements: Sapphire, Pearl, (Ic 1, Ab 1, Br 1, Mu 1, Mi 1)

This keeps you character from being knocked back by attacks while on the ground. It does nothing to protect your character while on a horse (thanks to BlackConvoy for the additional info). This isn't bad for your standard sweeper characters, like Lu Bu, Guan Yu, etc.

- Highflier

Requirements: Crystal, Amethyst, (Sl 1, Air 1, Mu 1, Ag 1, Mi 1)

This allows a character to jump in the middle of a charge attack. This can be surprisingly useful, but again, it depends on the character. Orochi is pretty good with this (as are many other power types).

Edited by starcrunch061

Level 3:

- Resolve

Requirements: Ruby, Emerald, (Bo 1, Sl 1, Ab 1, Mu 1, Ag 1, Rag 1)

With this, arrows will no longer cause you to flinch. Not a bad skill, but I think it's overrated. Still, if this is a problem for you, you know where to look.

- Synergy

Requirements: Moonstone, Onyx, Garnet, Aventurine,

(Ic 1, Air 1, Br 1, Ran 1, Mu 1, Ag 1)

This allows for support attacks to happen at 1/2 musou. I'm not sure what this means, but I think this allows your characters to help you out in a crown with less musou. Meh.

- Supremacy

Requirements: Cornelian, Opal, Topaz, Dragon Jewel,

(Flam 2, Flas 2, Dr 2, Ab 2, Ran 2, Ag 2, Mi 2)

This causes your musou to regenerate automatically. For characters who rely on their R1 special (Kunoichi, e.g.), this is a no-brainer, as it is the best skill in the game.

- Revival

Requirements: Phoenix's Wing, Dragon's Spleen, Lion's Fang, Chimera Shell,

(Ic 2, Flas 2, Dr 2, Ab 2, Ran 2, Mu 2, Ag 2, Ra 2)

As the name suggests, this will refill your life bar one time in a battle should you run out. Some people really like this, but again, I find it overrated. It seems like you're planning against incompetence - most of the battle, this will serve no purpose whatsoever. But then again, they bury the brave, not the scared. Use it if you're afraid you'll die.

- Almighty

Requirements: Jewel Branch, Bowl of Buddha, Fire Rat's Skin, Swallow Shell

(Flam 2, Ic 2, Bo 2, Flas 2, Sl 2, Ab 2, Br 2, Mi 2)

This makes all of your attacks have elemental possibilities. Yeah, it's pretty good. I don't use it on everyone, but if you give this to someone with a large range, and add the skills Bolt, Ice, and Range, watch the fun.

Edited by starcrunch061

• 1 year later...

Acrobatics can be handy, you can press L2 almost immediately after getting knocked down. I don't know about you, but when I get knocked down, I mash L2 to get back up as quick as possible. My pick of the Level1 skills.

Might be worth noting that Stability/Resolve does not stop you from getting knocked off your horse by archers.

Almighty will increase not only elemental attacks, but enhances all abilities bound to the weapon. Give Lu Bu Agility10 and you'll have a hard time pressing the Square button fast enough. If you do this on a character that already has a fast attack speed, you will break the weapon - you literally can't press the Square button fast enough to combo, so you'll end up repeating the first hit each time. Also, I prefer Fire over Ice - with the speed of your attacks, the enemy won't touch the ground, flames will kill them before they land. The trade off to Almighty is that you must have a full Musou bar for it to activate, increasing the usefulness of Supremacy should you fight against an opponent that can drain your musou bar (or you are fond of the Circle button as a safety net).

My preferred weapon layout for 4th weapons is:

Flame 10, Flash 10, Slay 10, Brave 10

Might 10, Range 10, Drain 10

If the character has slow attack speed, choose Agility 10, if a character has fast attack speed, choose Bolt 10. My choice for Drain could be switched for Absorb, however if your musou is drained, Supremacy is more reliable to get musou back up - especially on Chaos difficulty.

For the 3 slots, I choose: Evasion, Supremacy, Almighty.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
So I just tried adding a skill for the first time. Is it right that I lost an entire weapon just to make one skill? And then you can add it to any weapon you want? But it's only a one time thing and you have to continue to make weapon skills to be able to add them to other weapons?

Here's how skills work. Once you have made a weapon with the appropriate elements (for example sake, let's use Acrobatics, which requires Range 1), you sacrifice it (lost permanently) and you now have 1x Acrobatics. This can now be applied to any weapon for any person, and is then used up. I do not believe it can be transferred to another weapon once it has been applied, but I could be wrong. You can store up 30x Acrobatics to apply to 30 different weapons if you like. I never went beyond 15 or so spare of an attribute so I couldn't say what the maximum is.

What this means is that if you want Almighty on every character, you will need to create a weapon with the required stats that many times (I forget how many playable characters there are). The easy way to do this is when you are farming levels for proficiency or whatever, try to keep Karma equipped, and use all weapons you get to try and make 'spare' weapons with the required attributes. What I would do was to evaluate whether it was worth using to add onto my main weapon or just sacrifice it to add on to the 'to become Almighty' weapon. For example, if it had Brave 3 Might 3 Flame 3, I might just add Brave/Might to my main and sacrifice the Flame, but if I had Flame 3 Might 1 Brave 1, I'd just use it towards Almighty. Once I had a weapon maxed to my liking (which usually happens fairly quickly), then all other weapons got thrown into Almighty category.

It's a tedious process, especially keeping track of that many weapons and attributes across multiple people, but once you get into the swing of it, it becomes second nature. It's what I did in WO, and it's how I got through MOZ.

Considering that during the proficiency runs, you can really only use 2 people max, you can easily leave a 3rd person in there just to be a weapons mule for creating Almighty attributes if you wish.

Personally I never bothered making anything BUT Almighty, as the rest were a waste of time. Get a maxed weapon with your preferred attributes and Almighty, and ANYBODY waltzes through Chaos with 0 effort. Even Imagawa.

(My personal prefs were Ice 10 Bolt 10 Flash 10 Brave 10 Might 10 Range 10 Slay 10 Agility ~2-10 depending on person. Fast people with too high Agility usually were too fast for me and I was unable to even finish their square combos, so I experimented until I found a number I was comfortable with. Range might be swapped for Drain/Absorb if the person did not benefit from it.)

Edit: I noticed starcrunch didn't mention what Synergy does. I believe Support attacks are the musou change attacks that I didn't even know existed until just now when I read the manual. If you hit O for musou, hold it down, then hit L2 or R2, you get a special attack based on your team. If you have 2 PWR, you get 1 effect, 2 TEC gets another effect, etc etc. I actually don't even know what this does, as I never did it in my game. Perhaps I'll try it out later.

Edited by Akari

Here's how skills work...

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. I had pretty much maxed out my main character's weapons so I could use a second weapon (as you also suggested) to make the skills. It just takes a few tries to get used to doing everything.

Edit: I noticed starcrunch didn't mention what Synergy does. I believe Support attacks are the musou change attacks that I didn't even know existed until just now when I read the manual. If you hit O for musou, hold it down, then hit L2 or R2, you get a special attack based on your team. If you have 2 PWR, you get 1 effect, 2 TEC gets another effect, etc etc. I actually don't even know what this does, as I never did it in my game. Perhaps I'll try it out later.

I just found that out this week by accident (can't read Japanese so the manual is just a nice picture book to me). It sucks to drain all the musou from multiple characters so I only use it on the final bosses or when a refill is nearby. It's kind of just for show but it does add a little bit of extra damage.

• 1 month later...
Here's how skills work. Once you have made a

I sure didn't. I also didn't know about those attacks. I imagined it was the joint musou attacks tyhat others have mentioned, but I never knew how to use them (I even owned Orochi 2, but didn't know).