Orochi Z...stuff

starcrunch061

So, I decided to create a thread to gather some of the facts about this game. For a long time, I didn't get this game, becaue I was afraid of the fact that it was in Japanese (or Japanese-Chinese, etc.). But actually, it's pretty easy to follow what's going on, even with the menus. I thought I would put some of my thoughts in here, in case three people ever decide to post here. I'm going to separate the posts based on topic, and the topic of this post is:

WEAPON ELEMENTS

So, first off, here's a list of all the translations of the weapon elements:

[Musou Orochi Z] Weapon Element Translation

It's useful for what it is, but I don't think this is the best way to check what your element actually is. The symbols are very small, and pretty complex (if you don't read Japanese, etc.).

Instead, I thought I would group the elements according to cost, together with some commentary on the ones I like/dislike. The descriptions of the skills are just paraphrases of the forum I've linked - I claim no originality. Of course, the latter is purely opinion, so no flaming, please.

The idea is that the only time you care about an element name is when you are deciding whether or not to put it on your weapon. Since the elements have costs, you can thus easily check for what element you want based on a number, rather than an unfamiliar character. While there isn't a 1-1 relationship, it's close enough to shorten your time spent "translating" considerably.

Absorb - 700. This has two characters, so you can easily differentiate it from the other 700 cost element, Ice. Absorb allows you to obtain musou in proportion to the strength of your attacks. I thought this was worthless, but actually, Kunoichi can make fantastic use of this. Her R1 special allows her to become invincible for a time, AND gain attack strength. However, it takes some musou. With this skill, you can get some of that back (and at level 10, in a crowd, you can get quite a bit back). I don't think it's all that good for other characters. For people using Almighty, this IS worthless, as you should NEVER use musou.

Agility - 300. One of two that cost 300, and both have two characters. The second character for this one has a much more complex design than the other 300-cost element, Air. This increases attack speed, up to a max of 2x. The main point is that it increases the speed of charge attacks. This is, quite simply, an awesome ability. I use this on every weapon I have, and strongly recommend it for all party members. One note: I have heard that this trait can actually be detrimental to Almighty (some say that your attacks move so fast that the elements don't actually hit). I have not observed this myself, but even if it's true, the speed increase makes up for the difference (at full musou, you attack so quickly that your fingers can't keep up, which essentially lets you string together infinite combos).

Air - 300. One of two that cost 300, and both have two characters. Get used to the picture (I used the 2nd symbol to differentiate, as it has a very simple design). This increases damage to airborn targets. Juggling can be quite useful in the game, so you might want this. Again, Kunoichi makes the best use of this, by far (her SSTTT attack becomes incredible). Still, this is really specialized, and it's hard to justify removing one of the elements for an Almighty weapon and replacing it with Air.

Bolt - 500. One of two that cost 500, this element is a single character, which can be used to easily differentiate it from Brave. Bolts fire after charged attacks, hitting not only your target, but nearby enemies. When an enemy is struck, he falls slowly to the ground. I think this is a pretty good element, as it helps crowd control quite a bit. Some think that ice is better, but the slow fall is pretty damn underrated, if you ask me. If you are using Almighty, I would say to use BOTH Ice and Bolt. Seriously.

Brave - 500. One of two that cost 500, this element is two characters, making it easily distinguishable from Bolt. Simply put, Brave increases damage to officers. I put this on every single weapon I have, and I recommend it for all characters.

Drain - 600. One of two that cost 600, this element is a single character, making it easy to tell apart from Flame. Drain allows you to restore health proportional to the strength of your attack. This might be OK, but a better strategy is just not to get hit, or to switch out to another character when you do.

Flame - 600. The element is a single character (which you can differentiate it from the other 600 cost element, Drain). Flame activates on charges, and causes your foes to combust. The effect ends when the enemy gets up from being knocked down. It can be hard to use, but it can really pile on damage if you're good at juggling.

Flash - 550. The only element that costs 550. Flash allows you to break an enemies guard more easily, and you will do additional damage. I can see a pretty profound difference at level 10. This one is a huge help for chaos mode, as enemies block like there's no tomorrow, and will pound you in counterattacks.

Ice - 700. The element is a single character (easily differentiated from the other 700 cost element, Absorb). Unlike "Strikeforce," Ice is still decent here. Enemies stay frozen for a while. This is really nice when you are in a standoff with an officer, as s/he will be caught in place for some time. I use this on any Almighty weapon.

Might - 350. The only skill that costs 350. This raises your attack, up to 40% more. Every weapon gets this.

Multi - 400. One of 3 that cost 400, and a double character. Get used to the picture (I use the first symbol, which looks like a space invader from the Atari 2600). Multi creates images of your character which hit for pathetic damage. It's kind of cute, I guess, but if you're going to use it, do so on a throwaway weapon. I find it useless.

Rage - 400. One of three that cost 400, and all of them are double characters, so they are the hardest to differentiate. Get used to the picture (I use the 2nd symbol to differentiate it myself). I think this is the worst element in the game. Your power goes up as your HP goes down. Ummm, I don't want to fight with low HP. Don't use it.

Range - 400. One of three that cost 400, and all are double characters. This is the only 400-cost element that I think is useful at all. This increases the range of a weapon. I love this with weapons that already have great range, as you'll be able to hit from really far away. For short range weapons, this does help some, but not as much. Even in these cases, though, it's not bad. I use it on all weapons.

Slay - 800. The only element that costs 800. Slay will sometimes kill a peon in one attack.Against officers, it will reduce their health by a fixed percentage (of maximum health). This is a great element for any weapon, IMHO.

Edited by starcrunch061

SKILLS

By scrolling down the link above, you'll find a description of all the skills, together with their place on the table. This place doesn't change.

However, I'm posting here in regards to obtaining these skills. As in previous Warriors Orochi games, you get skills by performing certain feats with characters. Each character possesses 3-4 potential skills. Note however that only one skill may be obtained by one character on any one level.

You can check the requirements for the skills on your menu (either before you choose a level or before you go into battle). I prefer to use the pre-level menu myself. It's the 6th entry from the top. In order to check, go into this entry, choose a character, and choose the first option (which has a longer string of characters than the following three options). The description will be in Japanese, but with just a little intuition, you will easily discern what's necessary.

Basically, you're looking for numbers. I'll describe what you might see, so you won't have to spend any time looking up these things.

1) If you see a large number (say, greater than 20), this means one of two things: either it's telling you how many kills you need on a level, or it's telling you that your health can't fall below this percentage. The great thing is that if it is a percentage, there will be a percent sign % following the number. Piece of cake.

2) If the number is less than 20, then it is telling you one of two things: either it's the number of minutes you have to complete the described task, or it's the number of officers you need to kill on a level. Again, this is pretty simple overall: while in time you'll get used to which number stands for what, it doesn't even matter. Just kill officers until your screen flashes "Get Ability!" (the message is in English, BTW).

3) When getting skills, you should do so on the lowest difficulty (it speeds the process greatly). Also,k don't use musou. Sometimes, this is an actual requirement for a skill, but even if it isn't, it's not worth it.

You should try to get skills for three people at a time. If you have two controllers, you can get skills for 6 people at a time. Use whatever level you are comfortable with, but I would recommend a level that is easily terminated, so that when you finish getting skills, you don't have to wait to start again.

So, when you start getting skills (a somewhat time-consuming process), just get in the habit of checking what the current requirements are. Don't even bother with trying to figure out what skill you're going to get - you need to get them all, anyway.

Edited by starcrunch061

So, I think I underrated Ice a bit. Now that I have most of the characters, I think I'll start listing which characters I give certain elements to. Most of them are the same, but there are some differences.

As for best character, I use Kunoichi at first (because of her invincibility), but once get top-flight weapons, I use Lu Bu, Orochi, or other powerhouses.

Edited by starcrunch061

So, I think I underrated Ice a bit. Now that I have most of the characters, I think I'll start listing which characters I give certain elements to. Most of them are the same, but there are some differences.

Oh, and play with Kunoichi. She's just the best character in the game, mostly hands down.

Ice is great. I use ice and fire at the same time, lol. Freeze people and keep doing damage :applause:

Of course Kunoichi is great! But Kenshin is still my fav! How do I unlock her, anyway?

Ice is great. I use ice and fire at the same time, lol. Freeze people and keep doing damage :applause:

Of course Kunoichi is great! But Kenshin is still my fav! How do I unlock her, anyway?

She's pretty easy to unlock. Either you unlock her in Wu's stage 5x (I think it's 5x, at least - it's the one where people are escaping the castle), or she unlocks automatically when you clear the first half of Wei (she is a starter for Wei in Warriors Orochi 2).

I like Kenshin, too (he's pretty cool), but nothing beats invincibility.

• 1 year later...