Greatest Songs Of All Time

MrTxxThaxxLad

ok im going to make a few threads like a tournament, and every saturday i will advance the tournament on one round. The topic is going to be greatest songs of all time (singles). Im going to start it next saturday as i would like reccommendations. Im going to go on amazon etc to find cd's like greatest of the 80's 90's etc and enter a few. At the start i will enter the same genres against each other and i will find the fan favourite from each genre then i will compete the winners of each against each other to find a number 1. Im also going to search for every number 1 single on the charts. Stick any reccommendations you have down. Cheers.

What do you all think of the idea?

By the way should i do it like 1 round all in 1 week or each 1v1 every week (this way could take years though)

EDIT: I may be narrowing down the entries so i may have to place eg classic rock to whatever etc. I know this makes it harder to judge but it will give us a feel of our members tastes. I may even get some youtube videos in with each song to help the voting if that is ok. Any copyright issues anyone?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. What do you think of the idea.

Edited by MrTxxThaxxLad

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this to be the hardest of the "greatest" questions. Albums, films, are easer as their length allows them to cover a wider spectrum of topics, emotions, tones, etc.

I would say it must be a Dylan song, as any contender to his best works would have taken alot of inspiration from him. Dylan fixed the best band of all time, The Beatles, afterall.

I think recent songs should be excluded if you are going for "greatest song". These songs should be songs that have withstood time and are loved by people of many generations. With that said my nominations of the top of my head. Still leaving a lot of songs:(

Bridge Under Troubled Water-Simon and Garfunkel

American Pie-Don McLean

Man Comes Around-Johnny Cash

Take It To The Limit-Eagles

Desperado-Eagles

Hotel California-Eagles

Wonderful Tonight-Eric Clapton

Superstition-Stevie Wonder

Piano Man-Billy Joel

One Way or Another-Blondie

Like A Rolling Stone-Bob Dylan

Rainy Days and Mondays-The Carpenters

Crossroads-Cream

Riders on the Storm-The Doors

The End-The Doors

Candle in the Wind-Elton John

Don't Stop Believin-Journey

Dust in the Wind-Kansas

After the Goldrush-Neil Young

Billie Jean-Michael Jackson

The Joker-Steve Miller Band

Mr. Roboto-Styx

Is This Love-Whitesnake

Hold On-Wilson Philips

Juicy-Biggie

Keep Ya Head up-2Pac

im really not to sure about this because personally it is a song i love, and i heard it was a massive success particulary in America. But what do you think of entering Hey there Delilah - The plain white t's

I like the song too but I think you should stick to songs that have been around for some time and not relatively new songs if you are going for greatest song. Or either break it down into era's or something like 90s or 80s. Might be simpler that way:)

This is definitely going to be a tough, if not impossible, list to assemble. What years/genres do we include? It's easy to recall songs/genres from 1950+, but what about classical masterpieces? Or early jazz? Opera? Gospel Hymns?

I guess the question is, what do you define as a song? Does it have to be country/rock/metal/hip-op/etc.? Or does it extend to some of the older genres as well?

Also, what makes a song "the best"? Is it based on sales or inspiration/critical acclaim? Both?

If you're going to do this OP, you must be much more specific about the criteria for nominations. Just my 2 cents....

What? No PinkFloyd? i call BS on that list,every music critic past and presnt knows PinkFloyd blows the shit out of any/every band ever

my list

1-PinkFloyd-Time

2-PinkFloyd-Money

3-PinkFloyd-Comfortably Numb

4-Led Zeppelin-Stairway to Heaven

5-Led Zeppelin-Kashmir

6-Cream-Sunshine Of Your Love

7-Lynyrd Skynyrd-Free Bird

8-Black Sabbath-Paranoid

9-Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath

10-Allman Brothers-Whipping Post

and in know all i posted was classic rock and everyone knows me as pro-metal on everything.but guys the 60s is what made music.and honestly even the commercial metal i do listen to couldn't make this list because its "metal",it might be historic but not complete history.so yeah Classic Rock all the way on this list

EDIT-i mean im listening to Time right now,this song is so advanced for its time,i mean (sorry guys) Metallica has nothing on this 1 song.NO band does.its just so.....i dont even have words for it

Edited by Jake_357

Oh my God... this is one firecracker of a question... If we're going to follow in the classic rock footsteps, I would go with Baba O' Reily by The Who. Sums up the time period perfectly, great intro, great lyrics, the lyrics, meaning, and instrumentals all flow together well... just great.

i thought about that,but i mean its just to short of a song.theres to many synt parts,not enough vocal/instrumental time,if they would have tacked on 3 more minutes of actual music that song would definitely take the cake

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

The Final Countdown - Europe

Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Enter Sandman - Metallica

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Rock You Like A Hurricane - Scorpions

Thunderstruck - AC/DC

Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden

Aces High - Iron Maiden

Iron Man - Black Sabbath

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne

Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N Roses

Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix

I'm sure I've missed alot more.

What? No PinkFloyd? i call BS on that list,every music critic past and presnt knows PinkFloyd blows the shit out of any/every band ever

my list

1-PinkFloyd-Time

2-PinkFloyd-Money

3-PinkFloyd-Comfortably Numb

4-Led Zeppelin-Stairway to Heaven

5-Led Zeppelin-Kashmir

6-Cream-Sunshine Of Your Love

7-Lynyrd Skynyrd-Free Bird

8-Black Sabbath-Paranoid

9-Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath

10-Allman Brothers-Whipping Post

and in know all i posted was classic rock and everyone knows me as pro-metal on everything.but guys the 60s is what made music.and honestly even the commercial metal i do listen to couldn't make this list because its "metal",it might be historic but not complete history.so yeah Classic Rock all the way on this list

EDIT-i mean im listening to Time right now,this song is so advanced for its time,i mean (sorry guys) Metallica has nothing on this 1 song.NO band does.its just so.....i dont even have words for it

Agree with Pink Floyd, but I would put Echoes on top.

OMG i really didnt think that there was going to be sooo many respones nearly all are different. I wasnt planning on entering many songs but now i may have too. I think we shall exclude gospel hymns as im sure there are many different religions and i really dont want a fuss.

i might make it into sections:

just eg.s of those genre songs.

- rock 'n' roll (as a whole) Jailhouse rock by elvis presley

- hip hop Candy Shop by 50 cent

- county Walk of life by dire straits

- classical 5th symphony by beethoven

- pop i got a feeling by the black eyed peas

- RnB Rock with you by michael jackson

- Techno Aurora Theory by blackhole

- Jazz My favourite things by John Coltraine

- Metal Master of puppets by metillica

I think we shall leave it at that. If you feel any more genres should be added feel free to express. I think we should argue basically lets say 6 songs ( possibly more see how it goes ) for each genre. We will compete each against each other in a poll to see the members favourite for each genre. We will then do the hardest part, we shall face each genres winner against each other.

I have added the name of a well known song beside each genre, so if you dont know many say techno songs or what techno is, then you will have an idea.

EDIT: i have had a think about it and what i am going to do is take about 6 songs or a set even number from each genre. Im going to make a new thread for each with a poll in it and we will find the order. But first im going to just use this thread and i would like everyone to write any of their favourite songs and write which genre above it. eg

POP

- Distrubia by rihanna

- Poker face by Lady GaGa

JAZZ

You dont need to write for every genre. And please keep a limit for each genre lets say 10.

After i will make one post with the compiled list from everyone. I will then make a new thread for each genre where you write your top 6 from the selected list. 1st on your list will get say 7, 2nd 5, 3rd 4, 4th 3, 5th 2, 6th 1 point.

I will then post a poll with the top six scoring point songs and give say a week to find the favourite for each genre. How does this sound guys.

so in a nutshell.

- post your fave songs in this thread and state their genre,

- i will make a compiled list

- i will make a thread for each genre and you will write your top 6 in order. A point system will work its magic.

- A poll for each genre will be made by me including the top 6.

- You will have possibly a week to vote for fave.

- A song will be crowned winner of each genre.- The genre winners will be faced against each other in a play of. eg a poll for jazz v techno winner faces say pop in a poll and sooo on. Until we crown the best song of all time.

Edited by MrTxxThaxxLad

In no particular order...

• "Baba O'Riley" by The Who
  • "Keep Ya Head Up" by 2Pac
  • "Thriller" by Michael Jackson
  • "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder
  • "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen
  • "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera
  • "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys
  • "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd
  • "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye
  • "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve