• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are:

Dave Grohl

Chad Smith

Neil Peart

Joey Jordison

I don't think much of drummers from older bands, they just don't seem as good.

I actually think Zac Farro from Paramore was quite a good drummer. Rest of the band are pretty amateur, but he was quite good.

Wow, two people have said Joey Joordisan already? Wow.

Joordisan can't even compare to Bonham in the slightest way. Bonham had the most stripped down drumset ever, and got more sound out of it than Neil Pearts and Joordisans $10,000 sets.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h2CIMMMKBk]Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick(Live~The Song Remains The Same) - YouTube[/ame]

This song proves that Bonham is the greatest ever. If I remember correctly he was either playing a Ludwig Green Sparkle, or Ludwig Amber Sparkle for this song, both a pretty standard drum kits with only 1 bass drum. He did more with a standard set, than anybody ever will with a extremely large set up. Bonhams the best ever, end of story.

Mine in no particular order:

Tomas Haake (Meshuggah)

Mitch Mitchell (best known for The Jimi Hendrix Experience)

Keith Moon (The Who)

Dave Lombardo (Slayer)

Neil Peart (Rush)

John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)

John Dolmayan (SOAD)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by DaFaztFingaz

Mine in no particular order:

Tomas Haake (Meshuggah)

Mitch Mitchell (best known for The Jimi Hendrix Experience)

Keith Moon (The Who)

Dave Lombardo (Slayer)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Mitchell, Moon, and Lombardo, but no Bonham? C'mon man :p

But on the topic of Lomardo. He's easily the best drummer to come out of the 80's. I think he's even better than Neil Peart.

This song proves that Bonham is the greatest ever. If I remember correctly he was either playing a Ludwig Green Sparkle, or Ludwig Amber Sparkle for this song, both a pretty standard drum kits with only 1 bass drum. He did more with a standard set, than anybody ever will with a extremely large set up. Bonhams the best ever, end of story.

I was going to challenge your opinion, but seeing how you've end it with 'end of story', I guess you win. Congratulations.

Mitchell, Moon, and Lombardo, but no Bonham? C'mon man :p

But on the topic of Lomardo. He's easily the best drummer to come out of the 80's. I think he's even better than Neil Peart.

Really bro?....I mean don't get me wrong, the guy is a great drummer but better than Peart? Not a chance.

Joordisan can't even compare to Bonham in the slightest way. Bonham had the most stripped down drumset ever, and got more sound out of it than Neil Pearts and Joordisans $10,000 sets.

Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick(Live~The Song Remains The Same) - YouTube

I would have to totally agree with you on this one despite your Dave Lombardo over Neil Peart. No drummer could possibly top this man's amazing skills.

Edited by Johnny Bananas
merge; please use the multi-quote button instead of double posting

Really bro?....I mean don't get me wrong, the guy is a great drummer but better than Peart? Not a chance.

I would have to totally agree with you on this one despite your Dave Lombardo over Neil Peart. No drummer could possibly top this man's amazing skills.

Don't get me wrong, Peart cracks my top 5 list.

But he plays on a massive drum set. Guys like Bonham, Bill Ward, Kieth Moon, and Dave Lombardo, they all mostly played on standard kits (Lomardo doesn't anymore I don't think, but I know before the 90's all he play was standard kits.)

If a drummer can play a standard kit and get the same sound out of it, that a drummer on a really expensive kit can get, I respect the drummer on the standard kit more. Guys like Bonham, Ward, and Moon, all they had back in the late 60's and 70's was standard kits, and they played on those better than someone with a expensive one.

It's like old guitarist vs. new guitarist. The new guitarist have all these fancy machines that can fix all their faults, old guitarist didn't. Guys from the 60's, and 70's had to learn to play perfectly because they didn't have equipment to make them sound better. Guys like Hendrix, Iommi, Page, all of them will stand the test of time because they had no fake sounds behind them. And the same goes for the old drummers because there was no massive drum sets back then like Peart plays.

Neil Peart has to have double bass, Bonham had no use for it. Bonhams right foot was so fast it sounded like he had 3 bass drums when he only had 1. Another thing is, Bonham was doing tricks on his drum set before anyone else, all the tricks you hear on the drums today came from Bonham.

Like this song right here

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbrjRKB586s]When The Levee Breaks Led Zeppelin +Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

Bonham set his drum kit up at the end of a stairwell. He put a regular singing mic up on top of the stairs and recorded this. There is no smoke or mirrors behind Bonhams playing. His drumming was so loud and over powering that the regular old microphone at the top of the stairs could capture all the sounds of his drumming. Nowadays theirs machines to make the echo/hallway sounds, Bonham did all his echos and stuff by himself with no machines.

There isn't a drummer alive that hasn't tried to play like Bonham, even if their trying to do it on purpose or by accident, because Bonham has already done everything possible with the drums.

Edited by Jake_357

No-one is trying to compare Jordisan to Bonham. This thread is called Favorite Drummers. I was simply listing my favorite drummers. Joey Jordisan happens to be one of them. I love how fast he can get the double-bass pedals going. It almost breaks my brain to try to picture it :p.

Personally, I don't really care for Led Zeppelin's music. I can't stand Robert Plante's voice. I find it to be too screechy and annoying much like Neil Young's. I'm not going to sit here and argue about what each of us prefers. You like Led Zeppelin, I don't. End of story. That's the great thing about music, you can like something and I can like something totally different.

PS -

John Bonham and Jimmy Page were the best parts of Led Zeppelin. The way things are now, there isn't a single original piece of music composed because everything has been done or attempted before. Also, as with all things in life, when something "new" comes along it inevitably gets compared to something that some other musician has done already, i.e. a band puts out an album that has similar musical sounds to one that came out 20 years ago, that band gets labeled "Like so-and-so but more modern" or something like that.

No-one is trying to compare Jordisan to Bonham. This thread is called Favorite Drummers. I was simply listing my favorite drummers. Joey Jordisan happens to be one of them. I love how fast he can get the double-bass pedals going. It almost breaks my brain to try to picture it :p.

Agreed! He is pretty insane and that's why he's one of my favourites.

Personally, I don't really care for Led Zeppelin's music. I can't stand Robert Plante's voice. I find it to be too screechy and annoying much like Neil Young's. I'm not going to sit here and argue about what each of us prefers. You like Led Zeppelin, I don't. End of story. That's the great thing about music, you can like something and I can like something totally different.

I don't rate many drummers from their time period, probably because (like what Axl said) they have standard kits and it just doesn't sound as good compared to the kits of the last 20 years.

The thing is though, how "good" would Joey Jorrdisan be on a standard kit?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sal1nVhYPiY]Led Zeppelin - Coda - Bonzo's Montreux - YouTube[/ame]

This is Bonham on a advanced kit. Of course the advance kit in like 73 when he did this wasn't very advance. But listen to how good is sounds. It's technical as fuck, and so was everything he did on a stripped down set.

The thing with old drummers is they mastered out on a cheap set and got master sound out of it. Could a drummer these days be handed a cheap set and be able to do what the old guys could? I highly doubt it. All the new drummers that we know today that are "The Best" of the time didn't have to go through a period where there was no machines for them to sound better on, and no advanced kits to make them sound better. All the old guys got good just off a cheap drum kit, they had nothing else to learn on.

And I know if Bonham were alive today, and had himself a $10,000 drum kit, he would be banging it harder than anyone out there, just like he did in the 60's/70's on a cheap kit.

And I know a lot of people don't like Zeppelin. I hate Queen with a passion, but I know how much talent they had.

Edited by Jake_357

The thing is though, how "good" would Joey Jorrdisan be on a standard kit?

Well we don't know for sure do we?

Bonham was good with what he had, Jordison is good with what he has. Just because Bonham's kit was 'standard' doesn't make him a better drummer.

Now I don't know a lot about the complexities of drumming, but wouldn't a more advanced kit of today be harder to use? With so many more pieces to it? I don't know, I'm just asking.

He might not be the most technical but this shit always amazed me:

Joey Jordison from Slipknot:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syrQ_DOW9NQ]Joey Jordison - Drum solo - Upside down - YouTube[/ame]

edit: haha I just read through the rest of the thread and saw a few ppl are already talking about him./

Edited by pennywise247

• 3 weeks later...