Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Chronology

Lukezordz

Hey, I have a question regarding the Marvel movies, and I thought I'd come to you guys for a bit of info, since you're all bound to know more than me. You see, I've never been that much a fan of the Marvel movies, after watching Thor a while back, I was disappointed... It just wasn't what I expected and it kind of put me off the idea of other Marvel movies.

But last weekend I went round to a friends house, (her and her bofriend are massive Marvel fans) and we ended up watching Iron Man, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and The Avengers. Now, I didn't watch all of these in full. They were just kind of on in the background, but from what I saw of these films, I was very, very impressed. I loved the characters more, and they felt a lot more actiony.

So, now of course I want to watch ALL of them! And I thought I'd watch them in order of release... But then I heard about the MCU Chronology, which also includes a series of short films and TV series. And here's my question, has anyone watched the movies/shows in this order? Our friends told us that Marvel have subtle crossovers and nods to other films, do you think there is a benefit to watching them in this order? And something to give me more understanding about the universe?

Just for reference, here's the order:

01) Captain America: The First Avenger

02) Agent Carter

03) Agent Carter * (One of these is an upcoming TV series)

04) Iron Man

05) Iron Man 2

06) A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer

07) Thor

08) The Incredible Hulk

09) The Consultant

10) The Avengers

11) Item 47

12) Iron Man 3

13) Agents of Shield (Episodes 1-7)

14) All Hail the King

15) Thor 2

16) Agents of Shield (Episodes 8 to 16)

17) Captain America: The Winter Soldier

18) Agents of Shield (Episodes 17 - 22)

19) Guardians of the Galaxy

Hey, I have a question regarding the Marvel movies, and I thought I'd come to you guys for a bit of info, since you're all bound to know more than me. You see, I've never been that much a fan of the Marvel movies, after watching Thor a while back, I was disappointed... It just wasn't what I expected and it kind of put me off the idea of other Marvel movies.

But last weekend I went round to a friends house, (her and her bofriend are massive Marvel fans) and we ended up watching Iron Man, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and The Avengers. Now, I didn't watch all of these in full. They were just kind of on in the background, but from what I saw of these films, I was very, very impressed. I loved the characters more, and they felt a lot more actiony.

So, now of course I want to watch ALL of them! And I thought I'd watch them in order of release... But then I heard about the MCU Chronology, which also includes a series of short films and TV series. And here's my question, has anyone watched the movies/shows in this order? Our friends told us that Marvel have subtle crossovers and nods to other films, do you think there is a benefit to watching them in this order? And something to give me more understanding about the universe?

02) Agent Carter

04) Iron Man

05) Iron Man 2

07) Thor

08) The Incredible Hulk

09) The Consultant

10) The Avengers

11) Item 47

12) Iron Man 3

14) All Hail the King

15) Thor 2

I've never watched them in THAT order, but I have watched them in proper phase order, and you really get a different perspective, and pick up on things you wouldn't otherwise if you watched say Iron Man 1, 2 and 3 back to back.

The phase order up until now is:

1. Iron Man

2. The Incredible Hulk

3. Iron Man 2

4. Thor

5. Captain America: The First Avenger

6. The Avengers

7. Iron Man 3

8. Thor: The Dark World

9. Captain America: The Winter Solider

10. Guardians of the Galaxy (I haven't see this yet)

I've also watched the first season of Agents of SHIELD which was great. The second season starts up next month.

But I feel like watching everything chronologically would ruin the continuity.

Edited by TheViper4Life

I'm led to believe that the Tesseract plays a big theme and part in the movies right? Is that one of the main reasons for this order?

I remember when I watched Thor, the Tesseract was in Asgard, and then it was the weapon that Loki was using in The Avengers right?

It's not just the Tesseract. Most of the stand alone movies feature what are called the "Infinity Stones"...the Tesseract being one of them. Each of them controls some aspect of the Universe.

The story goes: Before the universe, there were six singularities. When the universe came into existence, the remnants of these singularities were formed into objects of power which are known as the Infinity Stones.

So far we've seen the Tesseract and the Aether, and I believe a third one was reveled in Guardians of the Galaxy...but I haven't seen it yet so I can't comment about that.

But these are all leading to...WHAT I BELIEVE...will be Thanos getting his hands on all 6 (we still have Avengers 2 and all of Phase 3 to go), and creating the Infinity Gauntlet by the time we get to Avengers 3. Which will basically give him unlimited power to control the Universe.

Marvel has created a very deep and intertwined story, you really should watch them all in Phase order to get a proper understanding of everything thats going on. Also watch Agents of SHIELD...it ties into the movies.

It's not just the Tesseract. Most of the stand alone movies feature what are called the "Infinity Stones"...the Tesseract being one of them. Each of them controls some aspect of the Universe.

The story goes: Before the universe, there were six singularities. When the universe came into existence, the remnants of these singularities were formed into objects of power which are known as the Infinity Stones.

So far we've seen the Tesseract and the Aether, and I believe a third one was reveled in Guardians of the Galaxy...but I haven't seen it yet so I can't comment about that.

But these are all leading to...WHAT I BELIEVE...will be Thanos getting his hands on all 6 (we still have Avengers 2 and all of Phase 3 to go), and creating the Infinity Gauntlet by the time we get to Avengers 3. Which will basically give him unlimited power to control the Universe.

Marvel has created a very deep and intertwined story, you really should watch them all in Phase order to get a proper understanding of everything thats going on. Also watch Agents of SHIELD...it ties into the movies.

Wow, you see, this is what has really drew me back into the whole Marvel Universe, intertwined stories are all very very interesting to me. So I can't wait to start.

I've currently got everything that I included in the list of my first post, so I'll be able to watch SHIELD and the other "shorts".

Can't wait to start, will probably start this weekend, the missus wants to finish off The Walking Dead first. :p

EDIT: Here's a link I found of it on the Marvel Wikia, it shows the films in the order of the time they're set in, so I'd assume this would be the "correct" way to watch it.

Timeline - Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki

Edited by Lukezordz

Wow, you see, this is what has really drew me back into the whole Marvel Universe, intertwined stories are all very very interesting to me. So I can't wait to start.

I've currently got everything that I included in the list of my first post, so I'll be able to watch SHIELD and the other "shorts".

Can't wait to start, will probably start this weekend, the missus wants to finish off The Walking Dead first. :p

EDIT: Here's a link I found of it on the Marvel Wikia, it shows the films in the order of the time they're set in, so I'd assume this would be the "correct" way to watch it.

Timeline - Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki

There would be nothing wrong with watching them in that order on your second time through. But for your first time? I would watch them in Phase order first since the story continues that way through all the movies in their proper order...with the first Captain America being a prequel to whats going on and an origin movie all at the same time. Marvel Studios have definitely released the movies in the order they're in deliberately.

Please watch them in release order, my OCD on such issues begs you. :francis:

Release order is the order they were meant to be seen! :francis:

Anyhoo, enjoy! They are a great series of films and I can't wait to see all the intertwining stories draw to a conclusion. :dance:

As much as I want to see it all come to ahead...at the same time...I don't. Because that means the movies will no longer be made...and likely rebooted. I just hate the thought of that.

As much as I want to see it all come to ahead...at the same time...I don't. Because that means the movies will no longer be made...and likely rebooted. I just hate the thought of that.

Oh jeez, that's a good point. Some things have to come to an end...but that doesn't seem to be how it works at the moment.

As the others have said, watch them in phase order. These movies were released in a specific order, because it followed proper story lines. They weren't just released for the fun of it.

This is my thinking as well. This will all build into Thanos getting them all and having full power over the universe.

I've heard they might release 2-3 villain specific movies, to fill in some story gaps along the way. If true, it'll be the first time that a movie(s) are based on a villain.

02) Agent Carter

04) Iron Man

05) Iron Man 2

07) Thor

08) The Incredible Hulk

09) The Consultant

10) The Avengers

11) Item 47

12) Iron Man 3

14) All Hail the King

15) Thor 2

I have seen all of those but I've only seen in them in the order they came out not in chronological order. They're all great. :dance:

• 2 weeks later...

I would always recommend watching in order of release. There is a reason for it. Just like Star Wars.

Anyway, I made this back in May, so I thought you might appreciate it if I post it here, as well:

http://i.imgur.com/i5dhXBL.png

This is my thinking as well. This will all build into Thanos getting them all and having full power over the universe.

Actually, it's not a theory, belief, or thought at all. In fact, Feige, Whedon, et al. already confirmed that is what Avengers 3 will be about. And GotG pretty much lays the groundwork for people confused on what Infinity Stones and Thanos are. But yes, the "Orb" is also one of the Infinity Stones. It is also assumed the staff is another Stone...

But very good summary on the Infinity Stones! :)

I've heard they might release 2-3 villain specific movies, to fill in some story gaps along the way. If true, it'll be the first time that a movie(s) are based on a villain.

Never heard of that. Sounds like a rumor. Or your just hearing what Sony is trying to do with their "Spider-verse".

Marvel actually has a tight plan of release films. So far, out of the film slots they have scheduled, Thor 3, Captain America 3, GotG 2 are set. Possibly Dr. Strange and/or Black Panther might also be slotted for release. And there has been talks of a possible Iron Man 4. They only have slots for 5 films before Avengers 3 release, though...

Oh hey, I forgot about this thread :whistle:

We actually started watching the movies/shorts/series in the order of the first post (I know, I'm stubborn right?) But we're really enjoying them in this order.

It really helps for my fiance I know, because she's constantly asking questions throughout movies, and in this order it's easier for her to grasp the concepts.

We're currently up to Iron Man 3 which we've been meaning to watch for the last couple of days (Phase 2, if you like) But Phase 1 was absolutely amazing. :dance:

I'd certainly recommend watching them in the order I started in, we definitely caught up on some of the references I bet we would've missed if we watched them in release order.

Can't wait to get to The Winter Soldier now, Captain America is the best :whistle:

Oh hey, I forgot about this thread :whistle:

We actually started watching the movies/shorts/series in the order of the first post (I know, I'm stubborn right?) But we're really enjoying them in this order.

It really helps for my fiance I know, because she's constantly asking questions throughout movies, and in this order it's easier for her to grasp the concepts.

We're currently up to Iron Man 3 which we've been meaning to watch for the last couple of days (Phase 2, if you like) But Phase 1 was absolutely amazing. :dance:

I'd certainly recommend watching them in the order I started in, we definitely caught up on some of the references I bet we would've missed if we watched them in release order.

Can't wait to get to The Winter Soldier now, Captain America is the best :whistle:

Your list isn't actually that much of a change from the normal order. The major differences are the One-Shots and Captain America: TFA. I find it a bit strange with Captain America: TFA being placed first, since the movie is basically a tie-in to Avengers (even with the scene at the end of TFA continuing in Avengers). It probably wouldn't be that much of a problem if you watched everything in a row in a short amount of time :p

The other thing I noticed is placing All Hail The King being placed before Thor: TDW, even though chronologically it is after.

But of course, the show order is exactly as it is meant to be seen, since that is when they aired before/after both Thor: TDW and Captain America: TWS. (Unless you were watching outside of the US... :( they didn't get to see it in perfect order).

Your list isn't actually that much of a change from the normal order. The major differences are the One-Shots and Captain America: TFA. I find it a bit strange with Captain America: TFA being placed first, since the movie is basically a tie-in to Avengers (even with the scene at the end of TFA continuing in Avengers). It probably wouldn't be that much of a problem if you watched everything in a row in a short amount of time :p

Yeah, I think in this case TFA was a bit of a one off, because the majority of it happened in the 40's.

If you wanted to really pick it apart you could watch the post credit scenes in different orders, but that's too much for me :p That would then tie in the ending of TFA, IIRC that's where he breaks the punching bag right? That's in Avengers.

Yeah, I think in this case TFA was a bit of a one off, because the majority of it happened in the 40's.

If you wanted to really pick it apart you could watch the post credit scenes in different orders, but that's too much for me :p That would then tie in the ending of TFA, IIRC that's where he breaks the punching bag right? That's in Avengers.

If you even wanted to pick it apart more, you would divide it by the chronological order I listed above :p.