Favourite foreign language films?

SmilerNuts

I've got no idea if anybody else on this site has any interest in films in any language other than English, but I've been really enjoying them recently so thought I'd start by listing my top 10. Is it obvious that I love French cinema? :p

1. Rust and Bone

2. A Prophet

3. Cell 211

4. City Of God

5. The Hunt

6. The Girl Who Played With Fire

7. In The House

8. Blue Is The Warmest Colour

9. Y Tu Mama Tambien

10. Priceless

I love non-English speaking films.

Anything by Del Toro; Pans Labyrinth being a particular highlight is a must.

Life is Beautiful is such a warming story but is so upsetting.

Amelié is a lovely film as well. A favourite of my wife and I.

There's just so many to choose from! I really feel films from different countries push the envelope a lot more than the Hollywood machine does.

For me it's virtually anything by Studio Ghibli and I'm really keen on the Director's Cut of Das Boot (I haven't seen the 5hr version) :).

This ^-^ Love Studio Ghibli, such a wide range of stories with great messages and realistic strong portrayals of women like Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind Spirited Away, and Kiki's Delivery Service, and others like Lupin III, Mononoke Hime, Grave of the Fireflies, The Wind Rises, etc...

Some other Foreign language films i've watched and thought were well made include Seven Samurai, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Pans Labyrinth, Battle Royale, and Godzilla (most of the films).

For me it's virtually anything by Studio Ghibli and I'm really keen on the Director's Cut of Das Boot (I haven't seen the 5hr version) :).

I found Das Boot terrible tbf. Probably because it's mandatory to watch it in German class. I really like Intouchables and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (but the German version of it).

Let's see if I can't rattle off 10:

The Yellow Sea

Old Boy

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl who Played with Fire

The Girl who kicked the Hornet's Nest

Let the Right One in

Drunken Master II

Sophie's Revenge

The Viral Factor

I Saw the Devil

I would've included Kung Fu Hustle but I've only seen the dubbed version.

I'm not good at making lists, but I'll try to type 10 non-English movies that I consider among my favourites, in no respective order, except that Intouchables is probably my favourite.

Intouchables (French)

Like Someone in Love (Japanese)

Grave of the Fireflies (Japanese)

The Tower (Korean)

Mine Vaganti (Italian)

Mar Adentro (Spanish)

La Piel que Habito (Spanish)

Die Welle (German)

Das Experiment (German)

La Source des Femmes (Arabic language)

I'm not good at making lists, but I'll try to type 10 non-English movies that I consider among my favourites, in no respective order, except that Intouchables is probably my favourite.

Intouchables (French)

Like Someone in Love (Japanese)

Grave of the Fireflies (Japanese)

The Tower (Korean)

Mine Vaganti (Italian)

Mar Adentro (Spanish)

La Piel que Habito (Spanish)

Die Welle (German)

Das Experiment (German)

La Source des Femmes (Arabic language)

Die Welle, I found the book A LOT better than the movie which is normal I suppose. Not sure if the book is available in English but I couldn't find it in Dutch so I read the German version then watched the movie. Would certainly recommend the book :)

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy Thrillers, Horrors and War/Terrorism related movies. Some of the foreign flicks I enjoyed:

Infernal Affairs (Cantonese) - I haven't watched The Departed yet, but I believe that Departed is a remake of this.

Dark Waters (Japanese) - Creepy as hell when I saw it for the first time

The Ring (Japanese) - Same as above.

Black Friday (Hindi) - Terrorist attack in Mumbai, India in 1993. There was no singing or dancing in this!

The Gatekeepers (Hebrew) - A documentary on the actions of Israel's Security Agency.

Raid: Redemption (Indonesian) - Indonesian SWAT team vs gangsters = great action!

Edited by Oranje